1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress NZXT Lexa -Experimental Modyssey - June 5 - new CCFL, lighting question

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ModMinded, 24 Oct 2008.

1. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Front Intake fan perhaps or the bottom intake/exhaust fan?

2. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

OK, lets see what's up with that circuit, and get ideas from you folks on how to best add another couple fans and a rotary switch with 6 leds to this as well!
    I think I figured out what the problem is, but let's lead into that shall we...
    [​IMG]
    That's the circuit with the pulled off ribbon cable. I was interested to see that the wiring was still solid, it was just the insulation that had melted and burned up. I was expecting ash.
    Here's a crude map of the circuits connections. Don't laugh, but it took me forever to make it. I'm not into paint's forgiveness factor and editability.. but that could be cause I don't use it that much!
    [​IMG]
    If you look closely at the first pic, at the (top row, second from the left) you'll see there's red wire on top of the black ground wire. That shouldn't be! I don't think I was tired enough to do that intentionally, and looking closer, I could see that it wasnt screwed into a terminal. In fact, the wire leads had basically been broken off. It's on of the LED fan grounds. I'm thinking as I was moving things around I broke the fragile wires, and they made contact with the ground. That short caused the ribbon cable to blow up, which actually saved my bacon, by preventing me from frying the fans, and PSU... I hope. (we'll find out later.)

Meanwhile, I played a bit with polish, taking Cheapskates suggestion that 600 and even 400 could be good enough for a good polish.
    [​IMG]
    I tried 2 types of wheels, with 2 grades of the polish from this set.
    Most of it polished up nicely, but it also made it extremely evident that I'd done a poor job on the sanding initially. I was wondering if it could be the polish that is causing some of these scratches that I see, but I can't really tell. I'm sticking with old deep scratches as the story for now.
    [​IMG]
    (with the new scroll saw serving as stand!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (That last one is the other side.)
    It's very interesting to see the different effects of the glue between the layers, esp the clear and UV. I can see which ones I face glued and which ones I edge glued. Unfortunately, my camera has a hard time focusing on these fine details... so you'll just have to trust me... or do it yourself! :D
    Can you see the scratches? some are short sharp nicks, while others are a more spread out grouping of smaller ones.
    I'm gonna go back to a rougher grit (like 300) and try again with some of those edges.
    I drilled 3 holes in the back of one to try an LED Mount. Well actually, I drilled one hole, 3 times. :D I was very careful not to splinter/crack the piece, so I used a triple set of drill bits. The biggest was still too small as you can see in the below pic.
    [​IMG]
    (BTW, that's a mnpctech fanhole template I'm using as the background there... Thanks for having those available Bill!)

I also played with an idea I had:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wanted to see if I could smoothly carve out lines in plexi for use as lettering. (lit from behind/within, etc.) Kind of like some really deep engraving. I used my GRT with a couple different metal bits (pointy cone to start, and a thin cylinder). It didn't turn out so great, but not totally horrible. Ok, it's kinda bad... :(

@TB4O - Yup, it's the front fan with filter.:clap: More importantly it's the little o-ring I'm gonna try out as anti-noise fan vibration mount. :)

3. ModMinded

Woohoo! I've got an animated avatar! :D Whattya think of it? I took those pics today.

4. The boy 4rm oz

The cuts may look bad ATM but if you get yourself a set of thin files you can tidy that up no worries.

5. ModMinded

Hmm, I've got some needle files that would work. I'll give it more of a shot. I was hoping it would just be smooth off the bat :hehe:.

My lettering skills suck.. I'm gonna play with the fonts in word and see what I can come up with as a template.

6. The boy 4rm oz

Letters ey? Just letting you know the font NZXT use on their products is "Tohoma" (bold). That's the same font I used for my res plate and RAM cooler.

7. ModMinded

Tahoma, eh?

I was thinking of trying to be different/nonstandard, but it's good to know what they use!
    I'm working on figuring out the style, and how I can make a template/guide for cutting this out.

8. ROB 636

ROB 636 Ski-Ba-Bop-Ba-Dop-Bop

You could always paint the plexi then carve into it. It gives a nice effect, but you cant see through it.
    [​IMG]

9. The boy 4rm oz

That is a good idea Rob. However the Bit-Tech engraving guide says to engrave, paint then re-engrave with detail. Either way works though.

10. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

That circuit, if you ask me to wire it I'd shoot myself first. o.0

11. ModMinded

Thanks for the comments

Thanks for checking in acey... I take it you don't like the circuit? Can you help me understand what's wrong, and how it could be better? Is the concept/schematic bad or just the way I wired it up (physically)?
    I know... I know. I promised to get the numbers yesterday... I'll get to it soon and update for a volt/current check as well as the physical layout. I always appreciate helpful feedback (*especially the kind that keeps me from setting things aflame unintentionally!* :hehe:)

Thanks for the idea and the cool pic! I don't need to see through this part actually. Think of it like a case badge/signature.

Yep, I like that idea. I've already painted one scrap piece of uv green with some more uv green paint and was thinking of trying to etch something in the painted side, but the contrasting colors look much better. I'll have to try both methods and see what it looks like (plus get the hand steadier!)

I wonder, does paint interfere with the acrylic glue? I think it might get splotchy if I were to face glue a piece to the painted side? :confused:

12. The boy 4rm oz

Are you using Dremel flex shaft or the main unit? I find the Dremel itself better because sometimes the flex shaft stops spinning, I find you have limited maneuverability. The flex shaft is a hell of a lot lighter though.

13. ModMinded

For this the extension shaft was what I used (I use both, but figured I'd need the shaft for this!) I mounted the GRT up high, and used the flex shaft. The first couple passes, it stopped spinning whenever there was a bit of pressure. I soon realized that I'd forgotten to tighten the main unit's collet around the flex shaft, before I screwed the flex shaft end on. Once I did that, it worked great! With the flex shaft I have much better manuverability, but sometimes have to adjust the way the flex shaft is hanging when I try to adjust positions on the cut, which limits mobility slightly. All in all, I like the flex shaft, but don't have a good place to keep it mounted, so I'll often put it away, and just use the main unit when I can.

14. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

MM, I don't know if there's anything wrong with the circuit, but FYI I'm an electronics retard thats why hahahaha. I wouldn't even know which wire should go where xD

15. The boy 4rm oz

A bit like me lol.

16. yeknom

yeknom What's a Dremel?

Wow, I find it very cool that this mod is being conducted the city where I live, and which I love. By the way, how are the Temescal tools? Worth renting?

17. ModMinded

Circuit questions part 2

OK, cool, thanks for the compliment then! :p It's not that complicated, actually. I just have worries that I'm connecting too much and gonna burn out the powersupply. I'll look clearer once I get things nicely in order (sleeved, little connectors). I'm not sure that the pic helps either... ;)

Howdy Neighbor-reeno! Thanks for commenting! I'm glad to hear that there are other interested modders nearby. Do you have any mod pics/logs up? I'll have to look you up!
    The Temescal Tools Lending Library ROCK! It's free, no renting required! They don't have a drill press, but you can get all kinds of cool stuff there. You just need to have a library card, and provide some proof of address (like a letter.) They have a pretty good selection of tools (pretty much everything you might need, basically!) I think the link I posted earlier will tell you what's available. I wish the borrowing period was longer, but then that would mean that others would have the tools I wanted longer! (they only have 1 scroll saw) :D

I had a post I was working on with all the details of the PSU draw, but I seem to have lost it! I'll reedit and put it in, if I can recover it, else I'll retype all this.

Ok, couldn't find it. Hope it doesn't end up posted in someone elses log :
    Here's what I wanted to check with all you Modders!:
    At flame on time:
    2 x 4 LED 120mm fan – 12v, 0.16A, 1.92W - each fan -(4 blue LEDs)
    1 x fan 80mm – 12v, 0.14A ?W
    1 x illuminated switch (not LED, lamp) no specs
    1 x Rotary Switch (LED leads for 6 green (6v, 15mA), not connected at this time, just wired to ground)

Not connected, but want to add (pending OK from the EEs out there):
    1 x Rotary Switch (LED leads for 6 blue, not connected at this time, just wired to ground)
    1 x 80mm fan – 12v, .05A, .6W
    2 x UV CCFLS, connected to 620V inverter
    1 x illuminated switch (not LED, lamp) no specs

PSU is Antec Earthwatts 380W
    DC OUT – Max – Min
    +5v – 20A – 0.3A
    +3.3v – 20A - 0.5A
    +12v (1) – 17A – 1A
    +12v (2) – 17A – 1A
    -12v- 0.8A – 0
    +5VSB - 2.5A - 0A

I think its enough supply to run this, the mobo, vid card, HD, Optical drive and some additional LEDs. What do you think? I don't know about the 2 12Vs.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2008
  18. yeknom

yeknom What's a Dremel?

That's nice to know :D

Mods are all in my head, for now. No pics available :(

19. ModMinded

Ah, well, get yourself down to the tool library to get them out of your head! ;)
    Thanks for the comments!

BTW- In case you all didn't notice, I editted the post a couple above this to add in the circuitry draw... check it out, and let me know what you think, please! :D

Last edited: 6 Nov 2008
  20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

[​IMG]
    -Here's what I was talking about. I use a stainless angle now because the aluminum one went away. You can also make this rig with some wood and a few screws. My shaping sandpaper of choice is 150 grit.

...and yer log moves I too fast!:hehe:

Guest-16 likes this.