1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases NZXT Phantom 530 Electrical Short?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by NovaBlaze, 10 Dec 2017.

1. NovaBlaze

NovaBlaze New Member

Hey everyone, I thought I'd post to get a couple extra heads around a problem I'm currently facing with my rig.

This has happened since I got my new case from NZXT last year on Black Friday. On my old FM2+ motherboard, I had a strange issue: When I would plug in a USB device, such as a controller or my phone, to either of the front two USB ports, my computer screen would go black, and my PC would lock up. The only way to fix it was by hard restart. On my old motherboard, this happened with a game running or just idling on my desktop.

Now I recently changed out my motherboard, power supply, processor, graphics card, and RAM, and yet the issue still persists (Ryzen 1700x, AMD RX 480, ASRock Taichi X370, and a 16 GB G.skill RAM kit). Even worse yet, alongside the persisting issue of the USB ports locking up my PC while running high performance games, now my computer does this same thing randomly while playing graphically demanding games, such as Rainbow Six: Siege, and Destiny 2.

I did a memory test today and nothing showed up abnormal there. I'm not running an overclock of any sort on either my CPU or GPU, and I'm running Windows 10 64 bit.

I'm thinking it's a grounding/electrical problem, mainly because of what happened yesterday:
    I have a Blue Yeti desktop microphone, and it was sitting on my desk unplugged. The cable running to the PC was laying across the base of the microphone, but the metal tip was touching my desk, not the metal microphone base. My earbuds were also unplugged from the microphone, and laying somewhere else. I happened to touch my microphone, discharging a small static shock, and my PC locked up in the same way.

I swear this is an electrical short somewhere in the case, but I don't really know how to go about finding it. I'm going to be cleaning out my case when I get a new graphics card, and re-seat the motherboard, but I'd like some advice to know what to look for to possibly null this issue. My PC is sitting on a wood plank, so its not on the carpet or anything.

Thanks in advance if any of you have tips for me. I hope I've given enough information!

2. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Member

The fact that the screen goes black when starting a game could point to the old HDMI issue. But combined with the other problems is could even be a bad earth. If you switch the monitor off then on when this happens, does the display appear again?

A couple of things to check/try:
    Do you have a standard mains socket extension, or a filtered one? It could be worth trying one if it's standard. You can also try the PC in another socket, preferably on another living floor if you have one (i.e. upstairs or downstairs, as ring mains tend to be separate).
    Change the HDMI cable, or even try a different monitor if you have one, perhaps using an alternative connection like DVI if it's practical.

3. NovaBlaze

NovaBlaze New Member

I'm using displayport, actually.

Turning the monitor off and on does nothing, as the computer itself is locked up. This afternoon I plugged in my phone to the front USB port after boot, and it locked up my PC as per usual. The odd thing is that it rebooted after a little bit, and windows checked my C: drive for errors, finding no issues.

I'm unsure its the socket it's plugged into, as my older PCs were plugged into the same socket with no issues. I once had a HTPC plugged into the same socket, and it never had this problem.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

4. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Member

Well, I don't know of DP giving the same issues as HDMI, so probably not that, The fact you've changed the Motherboard, PSU and GPU seems strange, but would point to case or front panel.

If it were me I would try pulling out the front panel connectors to see if the problem persists - including the power switch (jump start the PSU) and USBs (plug things into the rear USBs).

If it does, the I'd take everything out of the case, including the PSU, and trying the system on a good non-conductive surface.

From this, you should be able to narrow down what area the fault is - if everything is out of the case, you can gradually plug things back in, trying the system each time to see if the issue springs up again.

5. NovaBlaze

NovaBlaze New Member

I've tested it before with the front USB 3.0 ports unplugged, and there are no crashes. Kind of makes the point of easy to access USB ports moot though. This literally has only happened with the front two USB ports consistently.

I'm guessing it's some issue with the way NZXT made their front USB 3.0 cable/connector then.

PS: Writing this after plugging my phone into those USB ports and it crashing my PC again. Surprising, I know.

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

If the issue disappears when you unplug the front ports, then that's where your issue is. Get in touch with NZXT and see what they are willing to do for you.

7. NovaBlaze

NovaBlaze New Member

I will get in contact with them, but a strange issue just happened a few minutes ago.

I had my computer idling while I had to go pick up someone in town, and when I got back, my computer had apparently restarted. I checked the windows event logs, and apparently my computer shut down unexpectedly.

This is really getting to my head now. Before my PC would only crash while in high intensity games, or plugging in something to the front USB ports, but now apparently it crashes while idling?

I really don't know where the issue lay.

8. NovaBlaze

NovaBlaze New Member

These crashes are becoming more prevalent now. There's nothing showing up in the windows logs prior to a crash. It seems untraceable.

Could this be GPU related? This is really driving me up the wall.

9. NovaBlaze

NovaBlaze New Member

Nevermind, my motherboard died, and will no longer POST. Endless boot loops.

If it doesn’t loop, it ends up with a dr debug code of 90, signifying it can’t initialize the chipset.

Guess I got a lemon of a motherboard, and it finally decided to die completely. Pretty sure this is what was causing the issues for the most part.

Thanks for everyone’s help, and I hope this helps someone in the future if they have similar issues.