1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other O2 loses iPhone exclusivity to Orange, Vodafone & Tesco!

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 28 Sep 2009.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I see Orange have had a 'mare and set their "Fair Usage" policy to 750MB/month. I bet most folks will use that up with a couple of streaming apps and things like, ooh, emails and stuff!

2. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Of course they have.

3. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Don't know how much I can say so I'll keep it basic.

However I can say, down the merch centre (fake Tesco store we plan layouts in).
    I saw them signing off the bay designs for stores as well as the mock up Tesco bank.

No tariff details as of yet, but the staff mass-email says fantastic offers for staff (hope they're better than what was offered at O2!)

4. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

We get a 30% off deal for the iPhone with o2 at McDonald's. Only thing is the 3GS isn't included in the offer until early 2010, which I'll bet is when Fapple will bring out a new model, with even more features that should have been in the original and have been on older, cheaper phones for ages.

5. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Hang on, I'm confused here.

I thought mobile networks subsidise the handset price for customers in hope of making the money back from your contracted subscription?

6. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

Normally they do, but I think for some reason it's defferent with the iPhone. I usually get at least 25% off the standard monthly charge when negotiating a mobile phone contract just by asking (with my n95 I was getting over £40's worth of texts/mins/net for £20 per month), but with my iPhone they wouldn't budge at all :confused:

7. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I believe it's down to the revenue sharing agreements with Apple - Steveo and Co get a cut of the line rentals the provider charges you, so the provider makes less profit per phone.

So they're (the providers) disinclined to acquiesce to your request for discounts. ;)

8. GreatOldOne

9. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

You'd be surprised GOO - most operators are quite keen to give out contracts without Phones - means less subsidising innit?!

10. GreatOldOne

I wonder wether they'd be a bit more grown up about tethering? It's annoying that you have to use cloak and dagger methods to do it on O2 without incurring extra costs.