1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obama becomes the 44th president

Discussion in 'Serious' started by woof82, 5 Nov 2008.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

As i lack most of nexxo's elegance in words i think this should also stand for me....

As a geek i'd be interested in seeing the numbers. I'd like to know how much of the landslide has come from a back lash against the republicans and how much has come from Obama's ability to get people motivated and out to vote (preferably for him).

2. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Its amazing, he won by the margin he was predicted to win by :) Good job americans, you're starting to redeem yourselves :)

3. quack

quack Minimodder

Two historic events in one day? A black man gets voted President of the USA, and Nexxo has to admit he was wrong!

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

In other news: world to end tomorrow

:p

5. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

Make that 3 XKCD turns 500 :D

In my mind they elected the right man, it will be interested to see how/what he will do.

6. Major

Major Guest

I'm waiting for Obama in January to say.

"Haha, you're all ****ed, I'm actually a high rank terrorist, I am a Muslim and the documents of my birthplace are fake, now I will launch all of our nukes, you wanted change, and boy you're gonna get it!!"

:)

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

If the USA is to play any serious part in tackling climate change (and America's internal economic and social problems) then a whole host of unpopular "nanny-state laws" and higher taxation are inevitable. Making energy-reduction a personal choice is not a viable option. It is indeed a poisoned chalice Obama has received. I'll predict now he won't be re-elected to a second term.

8. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I can admit I was half-wrong.

I knew the Dems would win before even the primaries simply based on the fact that America wouldn't allow another Rep in the White House on principle. But what I didn't know is that Obama would win because of the general desire for change. I actually felt something last night watching both Obama's and McCain's speeches. And being such a diehard anti-everything, I was amazed in spite of myself. Obama speaking reminded me of Dr. King speaking.

I truly hope this country changes, and for the better. We're in need of friends around the world again, as well as internally.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Heck, Prestidigitweeze blew me away with this post some time ago. I have a new standard to aspire to...

Yeah, but keep it down, will ya? I don't want to upstage the man. :p

10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I'm please with the result. I believed Obama would win, but I underestimated the result; he won by a significant margin. I only hope that this sends the right message to the Republican Party. We are a changing nation. We're becoming younger, and our youth is becoming more tolerant of different ideas. As well, I hope the Democrats are paying attention. With the right encouragement, the American public can be motivated to get out and not just vote, but take an active role in the entire campaigning process, and in a sense overthrow the ruling party. A lot of people thought the Republicans would win; or, if the Republicans lost it would be a slim margin. Apparently we all underestimated just how fed up the general public has become with the way things are. I think at least part of that is due to Obama's relatively clean campaign.

I enjoyed his acceptance speech. I thought it ran just a tad long, but it was a very inspiring speech - in some ways reminiscent of JFK. The way he spoke to the crowd was magnificent. He was intelligent, but did not speak over their heads. He was inspiring and confident, but not overbearing. As Nexxo mentioned, it was also just plain nice to hear a president speak well.

So, we elected Obama. We've hit that milestone, and we managed to gain some credibility. Now, let's not throw it away. As Confucius said, "The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions." Part of Obama's experience is his work as a community organizer. He has his work cut out for him, as he now has the responsibility to organize one of the biggest communities in the world. I'm optimistic. The fact we got to this point is evidence that the American public has at least some desire to effect change. The real challenge will come when more Americans begin to realize that the change we want often begins at our own houses, not the White House.

We'll see what happens in the near future. If people can give Obama a chance, and if we as Americans can overcome some of our bad habits, then we might just see this phoenix rise from the ashes of the Bush legacy.

-monkey

11. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I'm terribly overjoyed by this great news, like Nexxo i was hoping for Obama, but pessimistic about the american public.

McCain's acceptance speech was graceful, and finally he talked with a bit of sense, shame to see some of the crowd booing from the mention of Obama, but thats life i guess. You support a 'team' you're gonna boo the others!

Overshadowed in all this is Obama's short but amazing acceptance speech, thoroughly enjoyed it, it sounds weird but i like listening to his voice, what he has to say, mostly because as other have allready said, he can string a sentence together more eloquently than most, he is clever, he is a leader.

Also I would like to add thanks to Prestidigitweeze for his posts, they're very well put together and a great read.

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Let's not get carried away - 46.4% of the vote went to McCain, 52.3% to Obama. That's still a very high level of deeply-entrenched stupidity, it's just made it harder (with non-proportional representation) for them to drag the rest down.

13. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Indeed. It does almost give one hope for humanity yet :)

edit - has anyone seen The Mancurian Candidate (2004)? The appeal of Obama's register and monologue reminds me a lot of that film. Not that I'm implying Obama's a mind-probed zombie puppet - it's just a little-acknowledged fact that people like a politician who's actually inspiring and pleasant to listen to rather than a bitter, clawing heckler like most of them are.

14. Nexxo

Meanwhile in the UK, let the brownnosing begin... :p

I guess everybody is wanting a piece of that Obama magic. :D

I think that if the majority of American people are prepared to be patient and work at gradual change rather than demand instant gratification, Obama will do well enough. They certainly seem to appreciate the mess that the US is in at the moment --which is why they went out in such large numbers to vote-- and, I don't know, but it feels to me that in their choice they have demonstrated a certain sense of growing up. Bush was infantile, and encouraged childish thinking. Obama strikes me as an adult who inspires mature behaviour.

A few days ago I asked supermonkey what the US ever did as a nation that was so exceptional. Looks like the American voters have just given me the answer. Quad-Respect Points. :clap:

That's the IQ bell-curve, right there. :D

:nono: Tut tut Nexxo! I shouldn't have to slap you for double-posting! :D

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Nov 2008
  15. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

rofl, I love watching the house of commons, its like south park when the mayor makes announcements...

Speech by a party leader
    *RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE *
    Speed by the opposition...
    *RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE *

Quality :D

16. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

17. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I'd agree except they are the idiots who run our countries, it's not a cartoon! :duh:

18. Nexxo

America's looking good again...

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Would they let us in, if that's what they've got to go on?

They'd think we're all sycophantic suck-ups or that we have some sort of mental illness :/

20. Nexxo

And the irony is, under Bush that would almost guarantee you entry. :p