1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Obama's "Beast"

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 15 Jan 2009.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I think obama's choice of car, isn't that bad during current climates. Its a cadillac by the look of it, and there are alot of blue collar workers trying to keep a job in the american car factories.

Must say bentley did a really good job, kept the style of the car, by just scaling it up, and not bolting bits on.

[​IMG]

What they all forgot to mention is the hugh amount of work that went into the door control systems, its all hydraulic, so when the door man opens the door the system kicks in and opens the door. Its also impossible to force the door open.

They also have to limit the car to about 60, due to its weight any faster and the tyres would blow out, for the same reason why the ranger rover sport is limited to 140mph, it could go alot faster, its just too heavy.

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

There's a time machine but it sucks so we only got a picture.

3. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Watching the Beast on CNN - it's cool!

john

4. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

The Abrams is an old design but it works. Last I knew all they do now is update the Abrams or rehab them and they no longer manufacture them. Their main factory/repair shop is in Lima, Ohio. There was a huge **** up in the turret tuning last I heard but it's since been fixed. The targeting system were off 10 meters. One thing I hate is the government snubbed Israeli anti anti-tank technology because they're stupid. It had a proven 80% success rate at stopping anti-tank rockets.

I'm not sure where to look for information on the Challengers maintenance. If you have a link let me know :)

As for the last part: FGM-148 Javelin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FGM-148_Javelin. It's designed to penerate ERA. I forgot about the FGM.

Your best bet at stopping either the Abrams or Challenger is shooting the light skinned fuel trucks that follow behind them :D IEDs made out of 150mm arty shells work too.

5. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I really underestimated how big his car is! Seeing his Secret Service standing by the thing you really get the picture of the size of it. :jawdrop:

And I think it's a fine looking limo. It looks just like a modern Cadillac, just beefier.

6. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Impressive car, several facts about the car:

- The car weighs 4 tonnes and can withstand armour-piecing bullets and, oddly, a direct hit from an astriod
    -The armour is 5 inches thick giving the doors a total thickness of 8 inches
    - The bulletproof glass is so thick, all natural light is blocked
    - The engine is enclosed in foam so it is immune from explosives
    - The car has it's own air supply so a biological attack would not infiltrate the car
    - There are 3 of these cars - used as a decoy or replacement car
    - The three cars costs £7m to build and test
    - The car has long range camers and electronics to survey the sky for missiles
    - If all the tyres are shredded the car can still reach speeds of 65mph safely

Source from the ZOO magazine :D

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

thats just whats stored in the car. I'm pretty sure all the body guards and secret service are armed with HK7's or HK5's.

If I was prez I'd arm myself with one too. If someone shoots at me I wanna kill that mofo! I dont want my guards getting the points! :lol:

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

..What?

How do you block light with something transparent?

Personally, I'd prefer the B&T MP9 (Steyrs TMP after it was sold to Brügger & Thomet). More stopping power in closer quarters, and dangerous at longer ranges than the 4.6mm MP7.

Last edited: 21 Jan 2009
  9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Glass attenuates light. Very thick, very dense glass, with thick, dense layers of plastic inbetween will be more than capable of blocking a large amount of natural light from the outside.

If you look at this picture though, there's still quite a bit of light after passing through both panes, so it certainly doesn't block all light after all.

[​IMG]

10. liratheal

Bloody science stuff :D

But yes, I see what you mean.

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

its not as if the car is going to get caught on its own, it might take a direct strike and some small arms fire, but it will flee and the US airforce more than likely level the area! lol!

Ive got images in my head of the other two cars being used to do donuts, and pick up hoes!

12. liratheal

I lost my faith in the US army decision makers after they blasted Dragon Skin, and generally acted very flippant about the idea that the interceptor is an aging piece of kit that should be looked at being replaced by something better. The fact they can't even decide on a testing methodology is even more disturbing, IMO.

I don't think the information on maintaining a Challenger is public as yet, I've certainly never seen anything beyond educated speculation. There are mentions of the underside front armour, but there is also rumblings of additonal armour packages being distributed, so I'm not sure what the current deal is with the beasty.

As has been quoted many times (Not in this thread); "We have always said that a big enough bomb will defeat any armour and any vehicle." - MoD spokesperson.

"Hey, you want to check out my 8" armour?"

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

exactly! i've got a pump action up front...

14. liratheal

I'd have thought 'pump action' was more a solitary action, but hey :D

15. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Ah yes the outstanding Dragon Skin. One reason I hate military contracts for equipment is because contracts win over soldiers’ safety. The funny part about the testing is that the Dragon Skin was banned because it failed testing yet it hadn't been tested. This has since changed, but the Army has still deemed DS dangerous. The Army also said NO Army personnel have been issued Dragon Skin, yet there were Green Berets and Generals seen wearing it in Iraq. Also the designer of DS has gone on a campaign proving DS works with various caliber weapons. I know many guys that would of gave their left nut for DS in the war. I met a few that took out their plates to cut weight, imagine if they had DS.

I still find it funny all these Army boys gets these cool toys and us Marines get one fancy toy (ACOG) every war. One reason I put the title: Government Prostitute. We get ****ed and paid but no one buys us a present. Pretty camos don't keep bullets out of your ass.

16. liratheal

I actually first saw Dragon Skin when I was cruising through those hilarious Future Weapons clips on Youtube, where he shot it with multiple rounds, and blew it up, with no penetration of the vest. I can imagine that the heat in Iraq must be pretty intense, but I'm sure the DS guys could account for that, as if they hadn't already.

I found it rather amusing when one of the designers of the interceptor said that DS was better than his design.

The thing that'd appeal to me, were I in a situation where body armour was required, is the flexiblity. I mean, standard kit doesn't leave much room for flexibility in what you carry or of the body, so shaving a few pounds, and adding some extra mobility must make all the difference during an operation, or any live fire situation for that matter.

What gets me about the whole thing is how you'd suffer a disciplinery for wearing it (The life insurance I can just about understand, I mean, I expect the clauses state that to qualify for the payout to your widower that you need to be wearing standard issue kit or some such - Which doesn't excuse the army for not allowing DS). The whole thing is completely backwards - Though, when has any military consistantly put soliders lives above money on the 'things to keep' list?

17. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Challangers were upgraded with extra underside front armour after an RPG bounced off a road and took 3 toes off a driver and an IED took off a drivers leg.

Challangers use a 2nd generation Chobam armour called Dorchester that as far as I know no one else has at present.

Must admit after seeing the cars on TV they did look better than in the pictures, plus did you see how bloody big the doors were when they were open lol.

18. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

What? That can't be true! How does one even check that something's asteroid-proof?!

...ahh, that explains that :)

19. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i'd think that would depend on the size of the asteroid. it might stop a pebble sized one, but i'm sure it would have some trouble with an armageddon-sized asteroid.

20. liratheal

If Obama was in it, it'd be overwhelmed by his awesomeness and fly off again.

Tags: