1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Obsidian 650D or Silverstone FT02?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roosauce, 6 Jun 2013.

1. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Hi Guys,

Long time no see!

I'm looking at replacing my case and maybe doing a Haswell build in there. I'm particularly after something that has decent airflow, and definitely good airflow through to overclicked heavy duty SLI graphics cards. Mid tower and understated. No need for water cooling beyond a Corsair H80/100 or some such.

I am currently throwing up between an Obsidian 650D or the Silverstone Fortress FT02. The Obsidian is easier for me to organise for various reasons, but I fugure that the FT02 actually has better airflow to the GPUs. If I went with the 650D then I'd probably have to remove one of the drive cages and do something like the pic below. That's not enritely ideal because I do have 3 ssds and a couple of hard drives to cater for. I'd end up mounting SSDs in the 5.25" brackets or some such.

Any opinions? Should I just go with the FT02? It does seem more suited to my setup. Any other thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your tips!

650D with just the one drive cage:
    [​IMG]

FT02:
    [​IMG]

2. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

Get the 650. Its a great case. I just find the rear clearance is a bit thin. Bout 2cm is all u got for all the cables.

3. roosauce

Thanks timmeh. I think it's the better looking case of the two. Does that 200mm front fan push a solid amount of air? I guess it does and I could use a air penetrator or something to give it some reach over to the GPUs ... I just worry too much about the perfect build I'm sure!

I think I'd run the roof as a slow intake rather than exhaust - I think the default setup is negative pressure. I'd want most of the air exiting through the GPUs and H80 radiator rather than through the roof.

I like the look of the rubberized cable management in the 650D. I wonder why cases so often don't leave so much clearance behind the motherboard. Odd.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

FT02 user here. It's a great air cooling case, but I don't believe you can fit a dual rad H100 in there. So if you want to water cool, you'd be better off with 650D.

5. roosauce

Thanks wu. I was hoping an FT02 user would comment! I think I'll be fine with a H80, as long as there's enough air flowing through the single rad. I'm a bit more concerned about keeping the GPUs cool, and I guess fitting all my drives.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2013