Obtaining Sponsorship: What NOT to do

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bindibadgi, 15 Dec 2008.

1. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Thanks for paying attention Antony. :)

Some of us who are looking for small sponsors aren't as worthy as some of the bigger dogs in the community. This might help that we aren't just looked over or turned a blind eye to.

2. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo New Member

Why? Why? Can't I mod faster to establish a body of work?!?!? Curse these slow stubby fingers and a job that eats up 9 hours of my day!!!!!

3. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis New Member

good article on modding in August issue of CPU Magazine (free online). Myself and few other pro-modders helped out

4. lucifer1306217

lucifer1306217 New Member

As a sponsor we have both been approached by and approached modders. It's not something we do often and each mod is taken on its merits. We've never had anyone being "matey" or having to suck up to get sponsorship, we sponsor on merit because frankly sponsoring a proven modder gets better results (for us cut-throats and vultures that is). These proven modders are without doubt massive modding enthusiasts, pillars of the modding community and in most cases bona fide artists! Not whores hell bent on getting free stuff as has been suggested in this thread so far.

5. Razer2007

6. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 New Member

hhmmmmm.....virtually the same word for word in the first part of the post...something fishy there me thinks

7. Razer2007

8. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Well spotted, +rep for that dude.

I might actually try an experiment. As I've said I before I mod because I enjoy it., not for what I can get out of the hobby. What I might do is spam all the companies that get involved with modding on these forums and see what kind of response it get from them. What do think lads, worth a go just to see what happens?

9. Razer2007

worth a go. You can't loose anything. Link to all you previous work too. Don't spam them. Just send a friendly email to as many companies as possible :D

bulldogjeff likes this.
  10. bulldogjeff

Thats what I meant, send a friendly email...lol

11. Razer2007

oh :D

12. Gentleman_Dingo

I just sent a friendly email to a possible sponsor today. (crossing my fingers)

13. Razer2007

Good luck. Can't remember how many I have sent. Stuff is so stupidly expensive here in stupid South Africa that I need help. You'll understand when I say I'm 17. I have been lucky twice now.

These 2 sponsors will appear in my next project. Will start in about a month I guess.

14. Gentleman_Dingo

Actually, I just got a response back. They said they'd be happy to help and they're checking stock for what I requested. I'll post the sponsor information as soon as the details are completed.! Yay!!!!

15. bulldogjeff

Going back to what I said about emailing people, I would have a clue who to start with or even what department to aim it at

16. Gentleman_Dingo

I would second this. Building a rapport or a relationship with a sponsor, representative of that sponsor, or someone that works with that sponsor sounds like the fastest track to getting sponsored yourself.

While being personable by itself probably won't get you sponsored, it couldn't hurt your chances.

17. phenoptix

phenoptix New Member

Maybe this is the sincerest form of flattery?! Twas my post cut and pasted! Someone has given them rep for it too!

18. Razer2007

^ LOL.

Congrats monkey. All about timing I guess (That applies if you are NOT a super famous modder)

19. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Are sponsors willing to wait? And how long?

I am would like to have sponsor for my project,but it will be finished in six months.
    Maybe even one month if I find free time for it.

Razer2007 likes this.
  20. Razer2007

When I got some of my sponsors I told them it will only start in a few months, and finish over a year or so.

IMO, the longer the worklog takes (provided occasional updates) then it's better. More views = more exposure. So say you take 2 months and do it in 8 updates, vs. doing it in 6 months and putting in more detail and less progress in each update, but still around 20 updates, you'll get more views.

But this is only if you want to keep a sponsor happy. Modding isn't about sponsors - it's about what you do.

Pranja likes this.