1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant OcUK, yes, they can sink lower

Discussion in 'General' started by naokaji, 4 Jun 2008.

1. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Spec: Wait what?

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

back last summer i purchased an ASUS NF4 board off them, turned out to be dead on arrival, quick email and they arranged pick up and replacement. however it was there last board in stock i ordered so they gave me the exact amount of money off my next order or a refund, as i needed a mobo i went P35 and Q6600 plus some extra cash to them.

I have been using OCuk for about 6 years for all my computer needs, Scan is ok but i hate there payment headaches i get and delivery as i am at uni but my card is registered at home, so there are headaches to be had there! no fault of Scans but OCuk dont see this as a problem.

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

What in regards to what?

4. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

edit: never mind.

5. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

OcUK ripped me off too. >.<

After reading the 20" Widescreen group test, I decided I needed a VX2025. So I placed an order with OcUK, chose next day special delivery and to my surprise I didn't get it for a further 3 weeks. After chasing them up, OcUK blocked my e-mail address and removed my thread from their forums.

Still to this day I haven't received a refund for my next day, special delivery. £315 it cost me all together, you would have thought they'd be wanting to keep my custom. Since then, I haven't bought anything from OcUK. I also warn any of my friends or clients not to use them.

Shame, they have some damn good bargins at times.

6. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Update:

I'm getting the difference in shipping cost refunded, still no excuse for them to ship with the wrong company, but oh well...

sorry to hear about your loss there Jack.

7. negev

negev What's a Dremel?

I use OcUK quite a lot and despite the odd problem, they're generally ok. one thing I have noticed is that they are always *extremely* busy and its very difficult to get through to them or get a response via their webnote system.

They also seem to have two stock management systems, I've called them before wanting to order something that their website says is in stock, and they've then checked their internal stock system and told me its actually out of stock.

Any company thats so busy all the time is bound to have problems, so I guess its luck of the draw..

Once they sent me the wrong hard disk, and when I complained they eventually sent the correct one and let me keep the wrong one :)

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

You shouldn't have to wait to get through to someone, there should be more support staff.

As for the stock systems - it shouldn't be the case that you sometimes order something online that isn't actually in stock, that's a ridiculous situation tbh.

If they're busy it's because they're lucky enough to have repeat custom, they should count themselves lucky with customer service that poor, that someone else doesn't take their customers away. :\

9. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Seems to me that anyone whom uses OCUK has had to use customer service to get the order resolved, including myself.

I have this same issue, card registered at home (where im not, when deliverys would be made) so I need to call them after payment has cleared, but before dispatch to change the address to my work, scan will happly do this and only takes a min.

Rather this situation then having to deal with a company that has poor customer service.

10. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

For the worst customer service ever come to the UAE. They're all very happy to take money off you, but getting it back is absolutely impossible. We bought a printer from a random shop in a mall which was DOA, just printing garbage. Took it back for repairs, they promised 8 days. 8 days later you could tell they haven't even looked at it. It seems their idea is if it's broken you come back and buy a new one. Then it transpires the salesman directly lied to my dad about availabilities / functionality to force him to buy that particular model in that shop (well no surprises there I suppose). Eventually, we managed to get store vouchers for it after 2 days of argueing.

11. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

I've bought a couple of things from OCUK, never had any issues.

Citylink are the 'weak link' most of the time. The first order I ever bought from scan, the citylink monkey gave my delivery to a neighbour - and then didn't leave a card at my door to tell me... despite it explicitly stating on Scan and citylink's websites they won't leave a delivery anywhere other than the marked address.

Scan's customer care phone line wasn't especially helpful, I got the feeling they were implying I was lying, because S*itylink reported back to them it had been delivered.

12. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

The delivery companies are pretty terrible and I include Royal Mail in that as well. It seems if they've started to write out a note to say they missed you, they'll hurridly finish it and post it through the letterbox as fast as they can rather than deliver it. Many times I've ran down the stairs (which are right next to the front door), I'm a big guy, I'm sure he can hear me but I've shouted "Be right there!" only to watch the "sorry we missed you" card pushed through the door, by the time I get outside he's disappearing down the street.

I've come back from holiday to find a cardboard parcel with 2 books from Amazon left outside on the doorstep, fortunately not stolen or ruined but the chance of that must have been minute. :wallbash:

In general I must be lucky, I dread to think how much stuff I've ordered online, even from companies I've not really heard of before and never had a bad experience. The delivery companies have been a way worse than the sales websites.

13. Noob4ever

Noob4ever always learning

That sounds like a bum deal..... I would do what everyone else is saying :D Just talk to a customer service rep, and if that doesnt work start bumpin your way up the corporate ladder till you get someone who makes more than 30k a year.

And sorry for the stupid questions..... but I'm american :D so whats VAT?

14. mr-sb

mr-sb What's a Dremel?

Yes happened to me several time... most annoyling they generally run up the alley near my house. Stops me from chasing them down the road! :waah:

15. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Value Added Tax. 17.5% of the purchase price goes straight to the government in the form of tax.

16. Noob4ever

Noob4ever always learning

Ouch, sales tax huh, but thats pretty high. They take anything out of your paychecks over there? as in Income tax?

17. kennethsross

kennethsross What's a Dremel?

I'm afraid they do! Will quickly try to put together a quick run down on our taxation / National insurance (State health care / pension) contributions.

18. kennethsross

kennethsross What's a Dremel?

Income tax (2008-2009 tax year)

20% on the first £34,800

40% on anything above this.

National Insurance: (state health care / state pension)

Basically, it's 11% on weekly income of between £105 and £770, then 1% on anything above that.

And of course, as an earlier poster said, VAT (Value Added Tax - a sales tax really) of 17.5% on just about everything (childrens clothes and staple foods are excluded, as are books)

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I've had issues with OcUK in the past, back in 06' my X1800 XT arrived with no bubblewrap or anything in the package, to the point where the box containing the GPU had opened in transit.
    Having said that, its still working today... (looks to his right)

Since then I've ordered 2 more things from them, but only becuase they were cheaper, or Scan didn't sell them. They were my Dell E248 and my A05-B, and they arrived quickly and wern't broken. When I had an issue when paying, I phoned them up at 5:50pm and they were very helpful and sorted my problem, and the guy on the phone even stayed on after closing to help me..

I guess thats just my experiace.

20. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

I've yet to have an issue with OCuk where they aren't helpful and quick in response.. Scan and Dabs on the other hand have jerkd me around loads and never seem to reflect stock levels accurately either.. I've had items appear as in stick only to be told once i order it that i have to wait and there is an unknown lead time...

Although personally I always order from ebuyer if I can yet to even have a single problem with them and i've ordered two somplete systems and random other stuff off them for myself an others...

But as for the delivery issue its pretty unforgivable for a company to go against your wishes when they hgave you the choice in teh first place and not inform you...

Tags: