1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Oculus Rift exclusives patched for HTC Vive support

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Apr 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Why can't i shake the feeling that even though Oculus was (afaik) the headset that relight the VR flame that it's not going to be the one that carries that flame across the finish line.

3. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I don't mean any disrespect to any Rift purchasers - we all choose whichever headset fits our lives/roomSpace/wallet - and it really isn't a compo to see which one wins over any other (there is plenty of room for more than one headset) ...

But the rift (so far) is very limited in comparison to the Vive, to only moving ones head around in games. Whereas the Vive truly ignites VR by putting the gamers body and hands into the VR space - this added immersion is truly magical.

I agree Rift WAS going to relight it, but Valve and HTC have hit it out the park.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Both have comparable tracking volumes, and both have effectively identical tracking performance (IMU orientation and translation fused with a 60Hz absolute optical error reference).

The primary differenced between them are:
    - The Vive launches with motion controllers, the Rift launches with a control pad and motion controllers later this year.
    - The Rift has headphones built in, the Vive does not.

From the Fantastic Contraption devs (Vive launch title, free with Vive pre-orders):

5. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

I pre-ordered the Rift and (as I said before) I wish I had ordered Vive instead especially after the piss poor service so far. I would switch now but don't want to be at the end of the queue. I'm very tempted to just flip mine on eBay and order the Vive.

6. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

The time u will be waiting for CV1 you'd still get Vive first even if you pre-ordered now.