1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Oculus VR announces Arktika.1 launch date

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 13 Sep 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

The games that Oculus have paid for development of have been absolutely stunning. Hopefully this one will be excellent as well!

Makes you wonder how many other excellent games we would have on all platforms if more developers were freed from this "making money" stuff.

3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Oculus wants VR to succeed by doing exactly what is required to see it fail.

4. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

I strongly disagree.

Without their funding, these games would never have been made. They will never make back as much money as they have cost to develop without Oculus' assistance, because too few of us own VR headsets.

Without games like these, the headset value proposition is poor.

Oculus are doing what needs to be done to break this vicious circle.

5. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I strongly disagree back. Playing system exclusivity silly beggars on an otherwise open platform at a time when VR manufacturers really should be co-operating to get VR on its feet is stupid. Nonsense like this highlights why people groaned the instant they heared Facebook had taken over Oculus.

Forking out £1.5k for a PC capable of running VR is bad enough without adding the utterly needless headache of having to guess which headset wiil or won't be an expensive doorstop a year down the line.

6. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

And that's why, even though I own a Rift, every VR title I've bought has been through Steam. In the future, I would like very much to not be locked into HAVING to buy a Rift if I don't want to lose my software, and SteamVR is multi-platform.
    Certainly, ReVive is a thing that exists, but it is an extra wrinkle I'd like to not have to add if I don't have to.

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The answer is simple: all of them. All HMDs available today will be obsolete as soon as the next generation releases. This is Early Adopter time, advances will be rapid, advances will be vendor specific, and there will be no 'common platform' for some time to come.

For those bleating about "but PC is an open platform!": the exact same process occurred with sound cards. The exact same process occurred with video accelerator cards.
    Mutually exclusive proprietary APIs will remain until a common basic featureset emerges, then standardisation can occur. Oculus know this, Valve know this, which is why both are members of the Kronos OpenXR working group, and why both are still today operating their own single-vendor-controlled APIs, and both are developing their own hardware with their own features.

MLyons and Sentinel-R1 like this.
  8. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

^ well said. Couldn't agree more.

Tags: Add Tags