1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OCZ files for bankruptcy, Toshiba looks to purchase

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 27 Nov 2013.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Make it illegal to lend money :D
    And watch as the whole world goes bankrupt :eeek:

Disclaimer: This is just a joke im not dumb enough to think that would actually work.

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I agree that it would be in the regions of impossible for you (or the average joe) to save up and produce your own SSD line, then make it available to consumers worldwide. Cause and effect = Change is needed by all accounts.

I'm sorry if everyone thought I was trying to argue with the status quo here, I was merely expressing my position on the matter, I didn't expect tail feathers to get so ruffled, it's only the internet guys !

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Again: what change do you suggest? You can't say "change is needed" without knowing what change is needed and why; you might as well be saying "custard is needed."

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Yes.

Yes it is.

5. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Well I know the starting blocks of custard that are needed, but a tech forum isn't the place to put idea's forward. That job is up to your elected official to introduce, I'm just the little guy to be dismissed.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, you're just the guy shouting that things have to change then clamming up when asked how exactly that might work. Which is spectacularly unhelpful in any given situation, and more often than not leads to terrible consequences of the "something must be done; this is something; therefore we must do this" variety. If you have ideas for change, put them forward; if not, find others who have put ideas for change forward and support theirs. Either way, don't just shout "CHANGE" at random intervals.

And if you have ideas for change that would mean I could own a semiconductor fabrication plant without needing a business loan or any other form of third-party finance, let me know. I quite fancy the idea of building my own chips.

7. Shirty

AKA Russell Brand syndrome :hehe:

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

reminds of those `occupy` protestors - `change the system of wealth` - ok how , and that's where it falls apart

9. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Ok #1 Restructure the country so we can actually produce what we need for the population, ie food, building materials, energy production ect.

2# encourage people to do what they are good at. Not just what pays them the most.

3# Kick out all money lenders, banks, government (because they all chase the money). It's been done before in Greenland and worked wonders.

4# Phase out money, a corrupt, self serving, antiquated, unhelpful system all round .

5# Start looking to the future not just of the country but of the world. A long shot but as they say "Lead by example"

P.S. I stress I didn't want to bring this stuff up but have been left little choice when challenged. There are websites about this stuff, some of them have the answers and some are just self serving. In the future research the problem. As I said before I'm just the little guy and don't have all the answers.

PPS. Good on Russel Brand for speaking out about a company that made it's money dressing the nazi's and sabotaging other clothing franchises since ! It's easy to laugh at the guy but in the end he has put his rep' on the line to educate the common masses.

10. Gareth Halfacree

I fail to see how that would allow someone like me to start up a company like OCZ sans finance. (Also, I'm pretty sure that our population to land mass ratio makes it impossible for us to be self-sufficient as a nation - unless you fancy putting everyone in low-energy high-rise buildings and turning the rest of the land over to high-intensity battery farming. That, or decimate the populace.)
    Ditto.
    Has it? 'Cos I'm pretty sure Greenland still has a government, not to mention banks - banks that provide loans to businesses and private individuals, no less. And, again, I'm failing to see how having no government and no banks would help me set up my OCZ-alike.
    And we're replacing money with what, exactly? The barter system doesn't scale, and again this isn't getting me any closer to my unfunded OCZ-alike start-up (which, at this point, has no bank account and now no money 'cos we've just 'phased it out.')
    That's not a plan for change, that's an empty statement.

I fail to see anything there that addresses your initial point: that the 'system' somehow failed OCZ, and requires change. None of the changes listed above would have allowed OCZ to be founded, much less prosper, even ignoring the complete impossibility of the majority of them.

11. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Gareth for god's sake look up the available info before spontaneously spouting conclusions. Greenland kicked out the there government and replaced it with a new one, the economy is now thriving thanks to not being tied to central banks and corrupt politicians. The OLD barter system has nothing to do with any new system, as I've said before, try reading up on the intricacies. And the system has failed OCZ because they bought it, hook line and sinker.

Once again i'd like to say i'm not here to argue, I was only stating a point about the original article and feel rather violated producing my view on other matters in a non relative forum.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Custard gets my vote :hehe:

13. Gareth Halfacree

So the Bank of Greenland isn't Greenland's central bank?
    Reading up on what? You've provided nothing but the claim that money needs to go away.
    That statement makes no sense. Here's a simple question: what should OCZ have done differently?
    You weren't stating a point about the article, which was about OCZ filing for bankruptcy; you were espousing your, so-far ill-explained, political views using the article as a springboard. Make no mistake: I didn't bring politics into this discussion, you did, and I'm still waiting to hear your plan for my formation of an OCZ-like company without external finance (and, now, without money too.)

14. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Gareth stop trolling. I was only putting my point of view forward, even if I do have an alternative point of view, nothing was said of it in the original post. I'm betting your parents would agree that if you want something then save for it ! because they were brought up before the evils of our current system made themselves apparent.

Point one - You know what i'm talking about, don't make trivial comments

Point two - Google it, it's not that difficult to find alternative info.

Point three - OCZ couldn't have done much differently except pack up when they were defeated.

Point Four - NO i didn't bring politics into the argument, you did by trolling my first comment. I will not say anymore on the subject because I do not want to fuel your hatred to something alternative and I wish to stay neutral in this community.

If you have questions Gareth please PM me for answers or suggestions & I will reply ASAP.

15. Shirty

I'm enjoying this. It's surreal.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Unmissable stuff above.

In the real world no 3rd party ssd maker will exist shortly simply because there is no profit to be had in doing so.

Most of the ssd stuff has gone to the manufacutures.

It's like us getting intel to make us a x86 chip then trying to price against it not going to happen you just lose money. Leaves you the premium sector that kinda does not exist in ssds anymore.

The main reason AMD have had so many issues with cash flow is the sale of there fabrication unit. With it they surely would be at 20nm and pushing both intel and nvidia around.

17. Gareth Halfacree

What rot. My parents had a mortgage on their house, and I'm willing to bet yours did - or do - too. It doesn't matter how much saving I do, I'll never be able to afford a semiconductor plant - which is the very root of this discussion, and one you appear to be completely avoiding. That, by the way, is the hallmark of a troll: prolonging a discussion by refusing to address the matter at hand and instead retreating into tangents.
    No, I really, really don't.
    That's not how a debate works: if you have a point to make, you provide the evidence required to make that point. The burden of proof is upon you. Add to that, I don't know which of the dozens of post-monetary-unit economies you're espousing here - I could spend entire minutes debunking the wrong one!
    So, once the changes you have still yet to elaborate upon have taken place - how would Neo-OCZ set up as an SSD manufacturer? (That's not trolling, that's a genuine question - I honestly don't understand any of the points you're trying to make.)
    I think you and I may have very different definitions for the word 'trolling.' And, as it happens, I don't have any hatred for anything different - in fact, I haven't mentioned my own political views once in this thread. You're assuming, there, that because I haven't immediately agreed with whatever vision of the future you've opted to support (and still haven't explained to the point where I can actually understand it) that I must be in favour of the status quo - but that is far from the truth.
    There are quite a few above, but if you'd prefer to discuss this via PM I'd love for you to provide a more in-depth explanation of how your vision of the future actually works - in particular the no-money, no-banks, self-sufficient parts. (I won't even ask you to PM me an explanation of how a company like OCZ could form in such a scenario - at least, at first.)

18. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Well you can settle again Gareth, I said before I wont answer anything again in this thread, so feel free to PM. At the least it sidesteps and cheapens the article, so you know, I'm not happy to do that.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Okay. As a start, I'll PM you my entire last post - feel free to respond to the questions therein whenever you get a chance.

20. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Sounds fine, thanks dude.