1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory OCZ Gold vs Platinum, Whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mitcian, 10 Dec 2009.

1. Mitcian

Mitcian New Member

Besides the obvious, can any one enlighten me to the difference between OCZ DDR3 Gold Memory and Platinum Memory.
    Im particularly looking at:
    OCZ 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10666 Platinum XTC Triple Channel Memory Kit CL7 1.65V

and

OCZ 6GB (3X2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10666 Gold XTC Triple Channel Memory Kit

There is a rather clear £34 difference between the two but as far as specs go they look rather similar to me, except the Gold has CL9 and platinum has CL7 ( as far as I am aware lower CL is usualy better).

Perhaps gold is made with better quality components? I always thought platinum was a more expensive metal and would have though OCZs naming style would reflect this...

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

The Platinum range is better than the Gold range. The Platinum range is usually better quality with tighter timings & more overclockable.

3. Highland3r

Highland3r New Member

Real world pretty much nothing.
    Go for the cheapest.

4. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

As said Platinum is slightly more overclockable, but it also has lower timings than the gold, which can also be slackened for further frequency overclocking, so if prices are close it's worth getting, but not worth paying a premium for.

5. DaTLiTe

DaTLiTe New Member

i agree with the comments, unless you want to really overclock the gold are sufficient. i have the gold (be it the faster models) and its perfectly fine. i prefer the gold colour aswel :)

6. Mitcian

Mitcian New Member

I was expecting platinum to be better than gold, however most places I look platinum is cheaper, which was the source of my confusion.

All sorted, thanks.