1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OCZ launches budget SSD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

It all depends on what the UK pricing comes out at imo, if it hits the £60-£70 mark then i may pick one up just as a boot drive but ive got a feeling its going to be nearer £100 in which case ill give it a miss.

3. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

If it comes out in Singapore for under S$100 (I'm hoping) I'd have a new boot drive.

4. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I could use this, my old boot drive died so right now I have everything on my 2tb raid config which was originally intended for storage. I don't fancy having to reformat that if something goes wrong haha

5. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

Would be pretty good as a boot drive for my media centre, all depends on the price though. If it comes in at £65 or less then I might have to pick one up.

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Yay.
    Another cheap SSD offering the same or lower performance than a high end HDD at a lower capacity and higher price.

7. rimscar

rimscar What's a Dremel?

did have a 60gb SSD, but it failed after a month, so returned. That model deconned, had the option of replacement or refund.
    As i`m getting new tech overload and my poor old brain is struggling to keep up with all the shennanigans of firm trimware or trim firmware or ware trimfir or whatever else plagues the SSD market, i opted for the refund.
    I`ve only just come to terms with BD, HD, hdmi etc!!
    I realise that this is all the fun of the fair for early adopters, but there comes a point where i can't be ar*sed with all the faffing around, so have decided to hand over the bucks when the tech settles down a bit more and stabilises......./flamebait lol
    And 30gb?? Way too small, as the wife so often complains...

8. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

It's all about access times.

9. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

this is a good start.

10. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

talk to me in a year...

11. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I am happy to hear the prices are coming down as I am wanting one as a boot but can't afford the prices yet

12. trig

trig god's little mistake

is trim supported?

13. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Looking forward to a review of this. Would be a nice new boot drive to compliment win 7 that I've just loaded on. It's the right time too as I've not got many apps etc installed onto the fresh win install so it isn't too much of an effort to change drive :) I guess like has been said, it depends on how the pricing translates across the Atlantic.

14. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

So will this drive deliver ~40sec win7 boot times?

15. CampGareth

CampGareth What's a Dremel?

This is a step in the right direction, but what I'd like is to be able to purchase a pre-made board with a controller and maybe a RAM chip on it, then I could buy my own flash chips from the various reseller sites and solder them on as a real enthusiast would back in the days when manufacturers didn't cater for modding.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

a ordinary hard disk boots win 7 in less than 40 seconds

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Depends on where you measure from, if you include the time the mainboards wastes before even starting to load the data from whatever kind of storage you use you will have a hard time getting below 40 secs (especially on high end boards with all the latest and greatest stuff and dont even look at raid if you care about boot times measured from the the time you push the power button).
    But if you just look at the time it takes to boot from when the system actually starts loading windows no sdd (not even first gen jmicron cr*p) will ever take anything close to 40 secs.

18. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

Measuring a disk or PC's boot time is a spurious past-time. Youtube is full of videos of people claiming their PC or Mac is fast because it boots Windows or OSX in a short time. Any fresh installation devoid of applications will boot WIndows quickly, even without tweaks and on slow disks. When you start having Itunes and sludge that Adobe installs running at startup, that's when you boot times travel back into the dark ages. I had Pentium M laptop running XP that booted in about 20 seconds, from hitting the power key to being ready to use. But had a Q6600 system at 3.5 running XP (before Vista was installed) with faster drives, more ram etc, that took about a minute.

In other words, its naff all to do with hardware, boot times, most of the time.

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Looking forward to some benchmarks.. One use would be to replace my laptop drive. In that use I just don't need capacity, all I want is fast boot and long battery life..

20. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

I'll rephrase that then. Will this drive deliver a considerably faster boot up time compared to a high end hdd?

Tags: Add Tags