1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OCZ launches sub-£250 128GB SSD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Jul 2008.

1. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

That 64GB one is almost cheap enough for buying as a boot drive now.
    32GB is just a bit too small, and not cheap enough compared to the 64GB one

2. seanap

seanap What's a Dremel?

So, they offer a 2 year warranty on a 1.5million hour product?

According to my math 2 years is 17,531.6255 hours.

Interesting none the less

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

This could be interesting. I really need a 4-8GB SSD for under $60 for my fileserver boot drive, but progress none the less.

I have to wonder if manufacturers aren't shooting themselves in the foot with the 2.5" form factor. Sure, it's great for notebooks, but there are a lot more people who would put a 3.5" in a desktop than who will open their notebook to install a 2.5" drive. Yes, you can get an adaptor, but why not sell it in both sizes?

4. desertstalker

desertstalker What's a Dremel?

Use a CF card, Cthippo, with a IDE adapter shouldn't cost more than that for 8GB

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I don't know about you, but my laptop doesn't require 'opening' to install a different harddrive. I just undo a single screw and slide out a sled, remove the current drive, and replace with the new drive. Takes about three minutes.

Also, although this drive is a 2.5" form factor, it's SATA - which means it'll connect to a desktop with no adaptors required. That said, you'll still need to figure out a way to mount the thing, so I guess an adaptor /is/ required.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

MTBF != expected life

Its a rather useless metric really, practically speaking. Traditionally (ie with regards to HDDs) it determines where in the market the product is aimed (the high MTBF tend to be enterprise or near-line drives whereas the lower ones for home use). Its pretty easy for manufacturers to fiddle the sample size or environmental conditions in order to get any MTBF they like for a given drive.

7. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Joe, could you ask OCZ for a comment on how they managed to cut the price this much?

Is it simply a matter of upscaling production, and spreading R&D over more units? Did they strike a good deal with manufacturers? I'm curious :)

Tags: Add Tags