1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware OCZ Leaves RAM Market

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 11 Jan 2011.

1. NethLyn

NethLyn Member

I lol'd. Stuck with Geil for Socket A and Corsair for AM2, looks like it'll be Crucial or Corsair for the DDR3 purchase.

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Didn't see that coming.

3. BRAWL

BRAWL Well-Known Member

Wow, that's madness... "A mere 22%"... so 1/5th of your revenue? can't understand that honestly.

I've got OCZ Reapers in my i7 rig, might need to hold onto my REAPERX 2x2GB sticks now!

4. HyBry

HyBry New Member

Didn't they also have pretty decent CPU air coolers?
    Looks like they are incapable of developing for more then one or two products at the same time. Let's see how long they will stay in PSU busines :D Not to mention more competition they will have as more companies enter SSD market as it becomes more accessible to end user.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

Revenue and profit are very different. I'd imagine their profit margins were very small on memory (everyone moaned about it for years, and I doubt it's changed since I stopped writing about computers), so it won't make a massive amount of difference to OCZ as a company. Being a public company, it'll probably help them in actual fact, as their share price will no longer be directly related to the price of DRAM chips.

6. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

: D

7. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

It's been a while, right?
    When did Infineon turn into Quimondo, and when did Quimonda close? :D

8. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

wow thats a shame! Love OCZ and their RAM. At least there are still some other decent RAM manufactures out there.

And lets hope now they are focussing on SSDs that they will produce some lightning quick and cheaper ones! Just bought an OCZ vertex 2 128gb yesterday and their drives, although not the quickest (crucial), are competitive and I think have a good balance between performance and price. Who knows, maybe they will be the quickest and most competitive in the near future driving down SSD prices even more, we can only hope!

9. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

WHAT???

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I have to say I am also shocked by this... OCZ have produced a silly amount of the RAM modules that have ended up in both my own systems and the systems that I have built for others over the years... I'm intrigued by this and must go and read up on it today, but as someone else has already said, so long and good luck, and thanks for providing a quality product for so long OCZ.

Their SSD's are ridiculously fast, that I can vouch for. If there was a market that they should concentrate more resources on rather than DRAM, it's clear that they have chosen the right one.

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Never used their RAM so I feel rather unaffected by the news on the one hand. On the other I feel it is a blow for the consumer, as the more choice and competition the better.

12. koli

koli Member

Why so much drama people? It's not like you will need to hunt down your modules from now on, plenty of others will keep producing them.

No company has infinite amounts of capital at its disposal so they allocate it to the most promising projects. Obviously for OCZ it is not RAM. So what?!

13. kzinti1

kzinti1 New Member

VERY good idea! They should stick to just their excellent gpu's.
    The only bad memory I ever had was OCZ. Also the very worst help from any manufacturer still in business.
    Good riddance.

14. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

This please as after spending a bit on there ram be interesting to know what will happen now.

15. Kovoet

Kovoet New Member

Such a pity this. My old PC8500 reaper were damn awesome sticks

16. Deders

Deders Well-Known Member

No!! we need AMD to keep Intel's prices down!

17. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

the Z on the sinks was always a nice touch.. still have some running in my old rig

18. Farfalho

Farfalho New Member

Why you're leaving me?! Please don't! *** Holds tightly to his 4 sticks of OCZ Gold Edition ram***
    Now I have to find a new manufacturer when I do a new pc.

In loving memory of...

19. TheQuadFather

TheQuadFather New Member

graveyard: OCZ, DFI, BFG, they were such great companies D: BFG and DFI are gone for good but atleast we got our OCZ ssds left :D

20. Mechraven

Mechraven %$£" it's broken again !!

OCZ LOOOOOOOOL !! Im glad they are leaving the memory market because quite frankly they really suck. I have bought 3 different kits from ocz and all have become faulty within weeks if not hours. My advice stay clear and go with either Crucial or Corsair for ram needs. :(

Tags: Add Tags