1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OCZ SSD vs. VelociRaptor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Jul 2008.

1. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

interesting results...
    and i concur with the 64gb at £100 being the buying point :)

what kind of life expectancy do ssd drives have?

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I want one of these as the OS drive for my fileserver. The issue here for me is power consumption and longevity, rather than absolute performance. I'm hoping to get to a point where my fileserver has no moving parts except when it's actively moving data, and then only the data drives will be spinning.

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Drives fill from the outside inwards.
    On the same rotation, the head will cover more platter surface on the outside than in the inside, accessing more data. You can use Matrix RAID from the Intel chipsets to take advantage of that, the outer faster part of the HDD gets AID-0 for OS and applications, the inner slower part of the HDD gets RAID-1 for the data.
    Sinthetic tests will show amazing performance in the AID-0.
    ;)

4. CharBroiled20s

CharBroiled20s What's a Dremel?

Experience VS Speculation

I just built (day before yesterday) a Vista PC with an i7 cpu & 6gb of 1033 ram for home theater purposes. The boot drive is an OCZ 30gb SSD (solid state drive) with no swap file & as i said, it's running Vista Ultimate.

For comparison, I've got a Raptor 150gb drive as my home computer's primary (C2Duo 2.9Ghz, 8gb ram). Both my new media center and my current desktop computer have the same 1tb western digital secondary SATA drive.

I can tell you without a doubt that my new SSD PC's performance is incredible. Granted the CPU's and RAM are different, but the new media center takes 26 seconds to boot Vista (including loading the taskbar items). Thats from the time i press the on button to the time Vista is COMPLETELY ready to go.

I was totally geeked to get a Raptor drive last year, but this SSD blows it away completely. It took slightly longer to install the OS, but who cares! you only do that once, everything else on this SSD is WAY WAY FASTER!!!!

I use the terabyte to store all my data & I had to move my program files (and program file (x86)) to it because of the limited storage space, but that was nothing more than a few registry changes & some file copying...

If your teetering on the edge of SSD or Raptor GO SSD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags: Add Tags