1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OCZ Technology Unveils 4GB Platinum Edition Kit with Optimized Timings

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Guest-16, 19 Jun 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

OCZ Technology Unveils 4GB Platinum Edition Kit with Optimized Timings for Enthusiasts and Overclockers

Sunnyvale, CA—June 18, 2007—OCZ Technology Group, Inc., a worldwide leader in innovative ultra-high performance and high reliability memory, today announced the PC2-6400 Platinum Vista Performance Edition 4GB (2x2048MB) dual channel kit. These new modules feature enhanced timings and are the ultimate upgrade for gamers transitioning their high-performance systems to Windows® Vista™.

For enthusiasts shifting to Vista and who need the performance of high speed memory, the PC2-6400 Platinum 4GB kit is the ideal upgrade from the standard 2GB of RAM. The OCZ PC-6400 Vista Performance series was developed to provide a superior computing experience that ensures the best possible gaming and productivity on Vista systems.

As part of OCZ's Platinum series, the PC2-6400 4GB modules are engineered to satisfy the demands of overclockers and enthusiasts and designed deliver the performance and speed gamers require for today's graphic-intensive DirectX 10 PC games. At 800MHz, the 4GB Platinum Edition runs at blazing fast 5-4-4 timings and offers unprecedented bandwidth and stability on the latest platforms.

"Nothing enhances system performance as much as the amount of memory since the system memory is still the fastest storage medium in any personal computer," commented Dr. Michael Schuette, VP of Technology Development at OCZ Technology. "High system memory densities become especially important for use with the latest platform generations utilizing PCI Express and other integrated peripherals such as network controllers since those components take away memory from the total system memory pool. More important is yet to make sure that memory performance is not sacrificed by going to high densities. That is where the new 4GB Platinum kits combine the best of two worlds—abundant memory with OCZ's patent-pending Enhanced Bandwidth Technology to again raise the bar for memory products."

View the Product Page here

2. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

This sort of thing always opens a few questions. Although I'm not sure whether anyone can give the definitive answer seeing as RAM usage is very user specific.

Currently running 2Gig of Corsair XMS2 1066 modules in my main rig. However, Vista 64 chews through this when Photoshop, Dreamweaver and all the usual things are running. So would 4Gig of slower memory be quicker? Also, how this effects overclocking... I suppose a different CPU:RAM ratio wouldn't be a problem.

On top of this then, would 4 x 1Gig 1066 modules be faster despite reducing the timings?

Of course, my preferred option would be 4 x 2Gig modules, but then there's the slower timing and the slower frequency. Added to the fact only very occationally (for the near future) would 8Gig of RAM be required. However, how smart is Vista's caching system to make up for the losses using the spare RAM?

So there you go, advice would be greatly recieved.

Also wonder if this all boils down to about 5% performance difference due to reducing overclock/timings - in which case, the gain from the extra RAM is good.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No idea to be honest. We're due for a "how much is useful" article for Vista at some point, but it's a case of actually getting 2GB sticks to do 4GB and 8GB setups, as well as x64 Vista :)

Then throw into the mix, ReadyBoost, and it's need in large memory systems?

4. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Fair enough! Cheers for the reply though.

Threw a 4Gig CF card on the system to use Readyboost. There's mixed reviews of it on the internet, but use the card in a camera and figured I'd give it a go.

Although not an optimum setup (being through a card reader etc.), must say there's very little to any performance increase.

But then I'm not talking benchmarks, just 'real-world' usage. Guess it also depends on your hard disk setup.

Figured it's more for use in laptops, with slower 2.5" or 1.8" single drives and less upgrade options.

Ach, what am I telling you for?!? You know all this already :)

Look forward to your review though, it'll spread some light on a subject which can be expensive to experiment with personally.

5. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

A larger memory cache is always more valuable than faster access speeds. I run into similar memory issues when using Photoshop as well (or even just using my computer habitually) as I end up using up all of the free cache allocated by Windows fairly quickly. The lack of free memory means your operating system will have to use the local hard drives as extremely slow temporary caches; in this situation, it won't matter how fast your desktop memory is because your data isn't going to flow any faster from the drive's temporary dump. Four gigabytes is where you want to be if you spend a lot of time doing development work, depending what it is. Photoshop tends to be more intensive on the hard drive as layer density increases, while more free memory is needed at much higher resolutions; combine both scenarios for a very unpretty situation.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

USB driven readyboost is meant to suck ass, you want the real deal PCI-Express one Intel is due to sell and even then it's only really powerful in a low hard drive speed/low memory environment and might not actually be beneficial to desktops.

Of course we'll do real world stuff, like the 2D stuff we do at the moment. Although I want to update the whole test rig for mobos to Vista at some point with some HD benchmarks and more hardcore photo editing so we might wait til then.

7. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Cheers Amon,

Actually, your mention of 4Gig is really the sort of thing I'm looking for. A sort of sweet spot between performance, cost etc etc.

Web developement is really my main use and focuses around SQL. Although the databases aren't on this computer, so that's not an issue. Photoshop is used really for creating the front end on the sites. Most of these images tend to be small, but of you always end up having many open at once.

Also do alot of photography (well, not professionally or anything!) and find these high res images REALLY chew through the memory.

I've added an extra 10,000rpm drive simply for use as a scratch disk - but as you say, it's no replacement for having RAM.

Still, all food for thought!

Yeah, cheers Bindi! I'll wait :) I've seen those PCI Express cards from CeBit and all that jazz. Thought there was some debate as to whether or not they'll be produced. Which does seem to support the fact that they might not be worth the price.

Moving all your systems to Vista... I feel for you... Seen all of those mobos hanging around your office, wouldn't want to be the one looking for all the drivers!

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I just phoned Intel, again, today asking for details on the TurboBoost thing but they are keeping mum about it. We've heard contradictory things at Computex and after with regards to availability.

Tell me about drivers and software! I've tried porting the test suite already and it fell on it's ass because nothing works in Vista :(