1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows OEM licence with retail media

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by wolfticket, 23 Apr 2012.

1. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I have retail copies of Windows 7 Pro/Home Premium, and have often used them to do proper clean installs on various systems using the OEM licence included with the system, and it works fine (mostly because AFAIK all Windows 7 media is pretty much identical).

However, I currently looking to do some bits of computer maintenance in a more formal (ie. paid/taxed) capacity, and I'm wondering where I stand from a legal/EULA point of view on this?

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

technically, you are not supposed to do it like that, technically, you should use the original media/recovery kit.

if you are refurbishing a machine, you need to sign up to the registered refurbisher program

sometimes though, it's just easier to do what you have done in the past- although it is not really permitted

wolfticket likes this.
  3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I kinda guessed as much.
    I'm not really refurbishing, more refreshing when system is so screwed a clean install makes far more sense than spending the time trying to rescue the existing install.

I have no problem slightly bending the rules/eula for personal stuff, as long as it's morally okay, but it's different when someone is paying for a service.

But hey, no one gets rid of the original recovery media or partition after a few years owning a system, so that should be fine :eyebrow: :)

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

the original media, can be got from the oem that built the machine for a small fee, if the customer lost or didnt create it. plus you can charge the customer for it, and the extra time to order it.

5. short1uk

short1uk Member

Have you not got the OEM disks? I have OEM XP, Vista x86 & x64 and OEM Windows 7 HP x86/x64. I use the customers own license sticker once reinstalled to register the software. There is nothing illegal about that its no different to them reinstalling there own pc.

If I sell a machine I simply do the same thing wipe it and reinstall with these disks which are OEM as the key on the machine is OEM.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

actually Margo, you might want to look into that

microsoft licensing

and ref selling a second hand machine, you should register for the registered refurbisher program, order the refurbisher kits, and install and license through that. its a relatively new option that not everyone in the trade knows about yet, but is the legal way of licensing second hand machines that don't come with the original media

you can install oem licenses on a refurbished machine so long as you follow oem rules, but why pay for an oem license, when the refurbisher license is a third of the price

Last edited: 24 Apr 2012