1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ofcom publishes three-strikes copyright code

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 26 Jun 2012.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The ISP doesn't have to foot the whole bill though as the Copyright holders will have to pay part of it.

On another note:

Lol, literally. They even write it in plain text that you can just secure your connection to avoid getting another letter.

2. sicone

sicone What's a Dremel?

According to the BBC, if you receive one of these letters and want to challenge it, OFCOM have decided that it will cost you £20 to do so!

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Only way it would work. If they're sending 70,000 letters per month then they'd get 50,000 parents a month sending in objection letters after their teenager swore to them they'd never pirated. The system would increase massively in cost and break very very quickly.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Whilst true, I'd also invite Offcom to *&%£ off to be quite frank.

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

The argument could/should be made that if that is the only way to get the system to work its is pre-broken. Even speeding tickets are free to appeal, failing that appeal will cost you but the appeal it self is free.

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

It's a no free lunch thing. Speeding ticket appeals may not have an up front appeal cost but you can be sure it's being paid for somehow. Likely through fuel, road, or car taxes. It would likely be possible to fund the appeal process with taxes in much the same way, they just have decided not to for whatever reason.

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Here's something to really make your hair stand up: How many of you have been double/triple tapped by an automated system in the past? I've seen everything from an $8,000 water bill to the IRS charging $780 for a $200 late fee.
    What happens when all three strikes show up on the same day?

9. Posicoln

Posicoln What's a Dremel?

Well democracy is finishing soon - looks like we are heading back into a draconian leadership. I guess democracy had a good run, but certainly the people's voice is not being listened too by the government(s) anymore

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I believe you may be getting direct democracy and representative democracy confused.

11. x5pilot

x5pilot Fragile explosion

Hmm, Internet ASBO's.... could catch on!

12. Valinor

Valinor What's a Dremel?

It's the same here; if your appeal is successful then the £20 is refunded. So no overall cost to whoever was sent the letter if they can prove it was a mistake (from what I read, the only successful appeal reason is likely to be that their wifi network wasn't secure).

13. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

What about people that house share? I mean if I got a letter and knew full well I didn't do the offense would I trust my housemates to be good or just cut off the internet? That is what really worries me, as I do house share but I am not the one with the name on the bill, but I may be very soon.

14. silky

silky What's a Dremel?

This could actually improve the sorry state of modern music. But it would need to happen in other countries too for it to have much impact. It also needs to be for games too and everything else. These wild west days of people downloading whatever they want for free, really need to end in my opinion. I know a lot of people will go ape about it, but it's just not fair on people whose job it is to create entertainment and then millions of people just pinch it.

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Since I was a teenager I was hearing that piracy was killing music. Then one day it hit me what an idiotic statement this is. The recording industry has existed for maybe 100 years. Music has existed since the first man decided to hit hollow bits of tree or shout a low sound and then a high sound. You can't kill music, but you could destroy the record industry. So with this realisation made, we next have to ask ourselves: Do we think the the current record industry is a desirable model for a music industry? Further to that, do we think there could exist a worse model, or is this as bad as it gets? From there we need to start considering the possibility that perhaps the current record companies dying might be a good thing for music.

Just a thought.

16. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Setting the challenge cost higher than the price of any Blu Ray or single CD seems fair (though for a brand new console game which is still at least a tenner more people will still take the chance).

If you get a mistaken challenge you can also send in your extracted receipt from Amazon/iTunes/any other webshop where you bought your CDs or did your legit MP3 downloading, or in the case of the BBC itself the TV Licence for that address (not that they make much that's worth pirating nowadays). Case goes away.

Just pay the damn money for your media and spare me the intellectual arguments about piracy not equalling stealing stuff.

Last edited: 27 Jun 2012
  17. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

Good job Feathers is banned at the moment then!!!

18. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Feathers will not be rejoining us.

19. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Thanks for pointing that out Carl, have edited as my rant implied I didn't think piracy was stealing, when I do. This of course excludes when a games company gives away an oldie from 10 years ago to promote the new sequel as with CnC, or there's a free track to promote an album, etc.

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You do understand that stealing and breach of copyright are fundamentally different acts though, right? That doesn't inform upon morality of either, but they are distinct acts.

Tags: Add Tags