1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows **** off EA

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Veles, 29 Mar 2007.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I have a fix for your problem.
    The issue seams to be something wrong with SafeDisk protection system and SecureROM.

Use Y.A.S.U, Run it and click on Cloak.

2. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

I never got any message like this and I have DAEMON tools and some CD burning software on mine o.0...

But yeah man, that totally sucks. I do think it's pretty lame how companies will and can put little pieces of what, to me, can be classified as spy-ware and get away with it.

It's a hypocritical catch 22. Companies hate spy-ware and such, then put it in their programs to make sure we don't have any sort of software to copy their products. I love big business.

3. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

That's just what I was going to say. I don't have a single copied game, but I do have some hacked games that allow me to use Alcohol 52% or no disk at all. Simply because I don't want to have to keep swapping disks - especially as my 2yr old things they make great Frisbees.

4. GoodBytes

Me too, that is why you got to use YASU for C&C3 as an addition of D-tools
    HDD is faster then optical drive, so loading is much faster.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

But games don't load from the optical drive anymore, the only reason you need the disk in the drive is to make sure you haven't pirated the game, which works really well XD

6. LockmanX

LockmanX What's a Dremel?

How about none? About the only thing I'm willing to deal with anymore is CD-keys. Its simple, only slightly annoying, and probably the most cost effective solution around. Beyond that, its a waste of money. No software company is going to be able to protect themselves unless they have full control of the platform. Even then, chances are someone will hack it.

Trust, on the other hand, pays off. A few patches ago, THQ dropped copy protection from Supreme Commander just because people were having problems. Awesome. It's not just that either, Company of Heros wasn't loaded with any bullsh*t protection either. You don't even need the disc to run them. Both games where excellent. I bought both.

Ubisoft released Rainbow Six Vegas. On the PC, lets face it, the game is trash. It doesn't look good, its very inefficient, the controls suck, the multiplayer sucks, and the interface sucks. I have an overclocked C2D, 2gb of ram, and a 8800GTX but this game will lag. Why? It also had SecureROM which made even launching the game a huge PITA. I did not buy Rainbow Six Vegas. Nor did I buy Splinter Cell Double Agent.

There is a similar story with EA, the company everyone loves to hate. I bought Battlefield 2. I did not buy Euro Forces, Armored Fury, Special Forces, Battlefield 2142, or the 2142 addon. Simply because they are way more trouble than their worth. That and well, 2142 sucks. Actually, Battlefield 2 was the last EA game I bought. And I don't play it. I play a mod.

Maybe if more money had gone into development instead of copy protection, we could get games worth buying. But when marketing idiots try and spin the low sales=high piracy crap, companies make bad moves. Whats above are just specific cases.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the gaming business. However, gamers, in comparison to say, people buying washing machines, have a close community. Bad experiences will be told and re-told. A companies reputation can be hurt a lot quicker. EA and Ubisoft a perfect examples again. I used to really like Ubsisoft. I played and bought all the Rainbow games up to Vegas. Around when Vegas came out, I noticed differences in their games. Even small things like no longer being able to skip company logo's when launching a game can damage the experience. As I read reviews and comments, you got a general sense of distaste building toward the company. And Just like that, Ubisoft when from a company I'd use as an example of doing to right to exactly the opposite.

It's much harder to keep gamers happy but there are a lot of simple things that really make a difference. When I loaded BF2 for the second time and noticed I could not skip the logos, I was annoyed. Seems like the last thing a company would want is feelings of annoyance associated with their games. I can see how some market guy presented it: "If they can't skip the logo, we can imprint the brand." Yeah, I remember the EA logo alright. And I hate it. That plan worked really well. The point is, when you start making customers jump through hoops to play a game, it ruins the experience. And that should be the biggest concern. I've sat at my desk deciding what game to play and picked CoH over BF2 simply because I didn't need to find a disk for CoH. It may sound lazy but thats how small a difference there is between a game getting played or not.

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Exactly, totally agree, the only got way to force validity is not at all, it's pointless, if it has some kind of protection it will be hacked. When publishers/developers will get this through their thick skulls I do not know.

I even get annoyed with having to put the disk in the tray now, it's just not needed once you've installed the game anymore, it's yet again, another pointless waste of time.

8. GoodBytes

I'm afraid it's not "publishers/developers", it the CEO of the company that knows nothing about computers. So many companies are like this these days.

9. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

why dont games companys just release games with bits missing and then do automatic updates via something like steam that way there would be no copy protection and no piracy as the games would be unplayable without the auto updates. or i just dont know wtf im talking about.

10. GoodBytes

lol, heir flick you don't know what you are talking about... really.. :)

if you don't know already, you can find all of Steam games cracked, and fully updated.
    Their is a way to SLOW down your software form being pirate while still charging something. You don't over charge your software to make extra extra money.

Many company that make a software that is excellently priced product, affordable, fair pricing, will either not be hacked, or take a very long time before finding some.

I know for one a company that sell a software for 400$ US. Yet, no cracks are found. Their software and support is 100%. I'm not going to name them, as I don't want to sound like an ad. I did the test, I have purchase their software, and one decided to look for a crack, to prove my theory. I found no cracks, and picked up a series of viruses on my way. No torrents, other then the software itself (un-cracked) was found. The company is constituted of about 4-5 employees (well programmers), and are well known in the community in their domain. The target market is decently large.

11. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

true you can find steam games cracked but one for instance was sin this was unplayable after a while because it needed a update

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

But that would be the CEO of the publishing or developing company :p Hence pubisher/developer

13. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I used to create my own iso's which seem to load faster than bunging stuff onto a CD.

This would mean that if I bought a real version of C&C3 and played it I would get the same msg, which really is a slap in the face for me the consumer.

Oh well, doesn't matter I wont be buying C&C3, played it at a net cafe and found it to be completely the same as the old stuff (which is fine, and I loved it) but hell, after playing COH and playing C&C3 it was just BORING. Plus this stupid little crap from EA confirms that they won't be receiving any money from me, they manage to **** up most if not all games they come into contact with.

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Online multiplayer is also dire last time I checked, they may have got it working by now though, but before, it was almost impossible to get a game.

15. GoodBytes

16. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

Dark Messiah hehe

17. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

fair enough i'll get me coat:blush:

18. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Its easier to run a pirated copy of the game than a legit copy why?

19. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Steam is the only game delivery platform that works. I know there are stuff like no-steam and other steam cracks that allow you to play, but it's not as easy as using the legit steam and legit games because you have to play on cracked multiplayer servers.
    People complain about the online requirement of Steam, but are you seriously playing games without an internet connection today? No, I mean seriously? ... I didn't think so. And if you really need to play Half-Life 2 on the bus or train (and you can't afford or wont use GPRS/3G mobile connectivity) you can set Steam in offline mode. It works long enough for you to get to play it offline, before Steam needs to check for updates again.
    A lot of game developer companies have seen Steam as a valid platform for distributing games. Maybe you still think there are only VALVe games available on Steam?

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah I like steam, probably the only digital distribution method that works well, nice to see more and more developers distribution their games through it too.

Also, getting games cheaper than they are in the shops is a bonus :p

It's not a perfect way of stopping piracy, since there is no way to stop it, but it works pretty well.

Tags: