1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

offer me a P4 setup!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tribal Dragon, 19 Jan 2004.

1. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

ok after 2 years using AMD I've decided to try Intel P4.

The budget: $800 usd/625 euros/$1000 cad
    The parts: cpu, mobo and ram

I've thought about getting:
    P4 2.8c
    asus p4p800 dx
    corsair twinx 2*256mb pc 4000

of course with that budget I want to overclock. :D
    I'll be on air cooling with a swiftech mcx478-v or the termalright sp-94... haven't decided yet.

so is my initial choice is good or I could get higher clocks for the same money?

will the 2.8c clock higher than the 2.4c? is there a better motherbaord available for overclocking?

thx for your time ;)

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Even owning an intel setup currently, id probably go for an Athlon 64.

A64 3000+
    nice fast stick of 512meg PC35/37/4000 or whatever (you only need 1 stick)
    Abit MAX3 mobo

However, ive seen one place now offer Prescotts CHEAPER than Northwoods! Wait till the prescotts are released, read a couple of reviews and then consider it imo, you could come out with;

2.8C Prescott
    Compatible mobo (??)
    couple of sticks of PC4000 like u said.

3. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Dragon, do you know anyone in the states who lives near the border? I've heard about stuff in Canada being ridiculously more expensive than in the US, so taking advantage of the best US vendor, Newegg, would be good for your wallet. Simply have it shipped to your friends, and either drive down there and pick it up or have him/her send it over the border and be totally honest with customs or not.

It would still be wise to see how Prescott pans out, but I just wanted to show you another option. Your current setup is good, although some might want you to go with Abit instead of Asus.

4. Tribal Dragon

hum... interesting...

I'll buy the parts in march-april so I have plenty of time ahead of me to think all that.

hum the A64 with 32 bits apps... sounds weird to me... if the 64 bits world was fully develloped that would be the best decision...
    But for the next year...

thx I'll go look for prescott infos ;)

edit:

Whypick: yeah I know that my current setup is good... but i want to overclock... my cpu don't clock very high compared to others... my ram and my board limit my overclocking so I would have to change the ram + the mobo to get what I was expecting...

it works great tho... but my bro needs a computer for college so I'll give him mine and get a new one myself with overclocking in mind this time ;)

no I don't know anyone in the US... and you are partially true about the fact that it's expensive here. But in a big city like Montréal, it would cost me the same thing buying at newegg with the shipping than buying it here...

Last edited: 19 Jan 2004
  5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Go read the A64/FX info thread, it works with both just like normal.

6. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I would only think you'd need a 2.4C, they overclock to >2.8GHz

7. Tribal Dragon

I know it works... that's not he problem... what I say is that it's pretty useless to use a 64bit cpu in a 32 bit env... maybe it's better for the long run... but since I'm the kind of guy that likes upgrading often... that doesn't apply to me. In the short run, there's no reason why I should go for 64bit I think...

Altron: yeah. Heard that some 2.4C goes over 3ghz... if the 2.8c is a bad overclocker and the 2.4 can pass the 2.8 (both overclocked) I'll choose the 2.4C for sure ;)

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No you completely mis-understand. AMD are marketing it as a 32bit chip with 64bit compatibility not the other way around. You dont have to use 64bit, its not obligitary.

9. ////\oo/\\\\

////\oo/\\\\ Minimodder

You will probably get more out of the 2.8 in the end but you will need some real good cooling to take it to its limit, air will probably not be enough...

10. Tribal Dragon

I know, I've expressed myself in a bad way (I'm french).

we have to agree that we won't need the 64 bits ability for the next year... so I would buy something that I won't need and would not really use in the next year... that's my point ;)

////\oo/\\\\: yeah you're probably right... would need watercooling...

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

the Abit KV8-MAX3 board doesn't have a 1/7th divider it seems, so you'll be looking at topping out around 230fsb. :(

It's supposed to have a 1/7th divider though which kicks in at 233Mhz fsb :(

12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

you will get loads more than 2.8GHz out of a 2.4C
    for instance, mine will do 3.5GHz on stock cooling with slightly higher than stock voltages, a top-end thermalright or swiftech would get a little bit more hopefully

P4cs are pretty much comparable in their max overclock, just make sure you get a mobo which can handle the uber-bus speeds and some equally silly ram to match (go for corsair 4400 in the case of a 2.4C, that will give you 3.3GHz sync and over 6GB of bandwidth :D )

i'd wait a few weeks to see if the new proscotts are any good before going with any sort of system, intel or not

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'd wait a few weeks anyway, with an imminent price drop c. 15th febuary afaik :)

14. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I believe a 2.4C is generally good to around 3.45GHz at least.