1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Office chairs. Often skimped on but so important.

Discussion in 'General' started by aLtikal, 20 Dec 2012.

1. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

I had not heard of that model but a quick search and "IT'S AN EJECTOR SEAT!"

[​IMG]

Not surprisingly it gets good reviews and is advertised as "Designed specifically for people who work for hours at computers" I couldn't find any for sale in the UK but was only a quick search.

2. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

Was tempted by an Embody, but couldn't justify spending that much!

I bought one from the same seller. Anyone looking for a cheap Mirra should check them out. Just be aware that it's sent via City Link, which wasn't a pleasant experience. When it arrived, I was surprised at the size of the thing - it's much bigger and heavier than your average office chair, and way more solid.

You should also be aware that they are used, but not cleaned! After half an hour with a vac, some soapy water and a few wipes, the chair was good as new.

After using the mirra for a while, I'm really pleased with it - so comfortable. Very adjustable. Much back support. Wow.

3. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Luck of the draw I guess, my chair was a bit dusty and still had a bit of the original paper label wrapped around the height adjuster lever otherwise it was quite clean, I was also surprised at the weight and size of the box it arrived in and so was the delivery guy that carried it quite a way to my front door :D (why don't they use trolleys?) I also had to attach the seat back but it's only a couple of screws, I couldn't go back to a chair with fixed arms after one of these!

4. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

I've some CTO Aerons at the office and CTO Embody's (the 'ejector seat' linked above) at home - which I haven't got rid of because I don't spend that much time on them and I'm not tossing out two grand chairs even if I was dumb enough to buy them thinking 'Hey these look cool, can't go wrong, right?'

As for the Aerons, great if you have a chronic fart issue. Not good for much else besides posing - which is kind of redundant anyway since everyone has one, so it's just as dumb as rocking a pair of Beats.

They're bugger all ergonomic - Apple-worshipping idiots equate looks to greatness, ergo, you get... er, ergo.

Hag do some nice chairs.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2014
  5. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Perhaps you should have bought the right size if it doesn't fit.

6. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

Might be a good idea to actually know about the products before you start pointing fingers :rolleyes:

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

All I know is that by the law of cost vs quality, any of the Herman Miller chairs are going to be better built, more ergonomic and more comfortable than my sub £100 Ikea one. That's all I'm looking for. As long as whatever I buy ticks all of those boxes, I'm happy. I'm still not parting with £750 for a new/BNWT Aeron though :worried:

8. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

seapanda seems to be an antagonistic troll, so I would advise not feeding him.

9. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I don't know if he's a full blown troll, but he does have a nasty way of presenting his opinions. I would not feed him either, let him make his point, but you're not going to change his mind.

10. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

One thing you conveniently forgot to mention, The Aeron Chair comes with a 12-Year Warranty, go figure ;)

11. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

Yes so? Many premium chairs have a decade warranty. I'm not talking about the relative experience between some low-end piece of junk vs HM. I'm talking about the veracity of the ergonomics of the HM vs their form over function aspect.

I always find purchase justification (since I don't just buy that one thing I've always wanted) amusing but also kind of depressing. Apparently that makes me a troll - understandable, from a one-sided point of view.

12. julianmartin

No, as you're just so blatantly abrasive when you have an opinion, I can only assume you are a troll, as there seems to be no other reason for it.

I'd be very interested to hear your proper justification as to why you think Herman Miller products are not ergonomic. They seem to chime quite well with the definition of ergonomic.

13. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I wouldn't class having a differing opinion as trolling, sure people can be abrasive I used to be until I became zen with the world. People have differing desires when it comes to objects and purchases and thats cool to.

14. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

Insufficiently adjustable, or irrelevantly adjustable, if the adjustability really more ends up adjusting how it looks, or adjustability within the scope of preserving its looks rather than how ergonomic it is. See Mad Katz R.A.T. for computer equivalent.

Sure. Ignorance is zen. I'm not zen.

Last edited: 22 Jan 2014
  15. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Welcome to my ignore list ;)

16. julianmartin

Adjust-ability is not a pre-requisite for something to be ergonomic. Read the definition and come back with something based on fact.

17. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

You know, it's funny.

People buy that one thing they really wanted and they convince themselves that it's the best thing ever. I buy the many other things, say what I think and they get really upset.

What can you do, eh. Egos.

18. julianmartin

I know this is a pointless debate but hey I don't have a lot to do today...

I never bandied about any of the terms or judgements you are using.

I actually wish I bought a Humanscale chair than an Aeron in hindsight. But my Aeron works perfectly well, I do not get any form of muscle ache from using it, and in terms of adjust-ability, it's about all I need.

I don't think anyone has said it's notable for how ergonomic it is - it's only been a series of recommendations from happy owners of Herman Miller chairs, all anecdotal.

You then barrel in with your conversation ending statements, yet you don't back anything up, and effectively call me and everyone else with a HM chair trend buyers and nothing more.

You completely skim around the issue with buying quality chairs: availability is awful. Second hand aerons are about all there is if you want to buy into that market without blowing a grand. Sure, there are loads of other great brands that I'm sure are better than Herman Miller - actually getting hold of them is a nightmare. If you want a well warranted, comfortable and durable chair and don't want to buy new, Aerons and Mirras are pretty much your only choice, bar the odd Humanscale when they come up on ebay.

You seem to be insinuating that everyone here is insistent that Herman Millers are the be all and end all. I can promise you that isn't the case - it's just what has been convenient to buy for most of us, and also actually performed reasonably well.

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

As comfortable as the Ikea that I'm using at the moment, it does lack any sort of Lumbar support. If I slouch just slightly in it, I get really bad lower back pain after a couple of hours. I'm sure a chair with better lumbar support would cure that problem.

20. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

The millers are all about being adjustable to get the best posture and the adjustable lumbar support on the Mirra which I have is very good and you can really feel it, it's not like some chairs with a blow up pad in the back which does nothing and keeps going down like the one on a chair I had (junk).