1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official CPC & Bit-Tech Chimps Challenge 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 2 Feb 2011.

1. Toga

Toga What's a Dremel?

Aye, but it's still overkill for what I need & wasn't a particularly efficient one.

2. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

Same from here I was proud to be a part of the CC team for the first time,well done all and tnx to coolamaster for allowing us all to take part and for being a great team captain (Ok so I know Im not gonna get extra rep for grovelling but it was worth a try lol):lol:

Unicorn likes this.
  3. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Since we're all getting +rep for participating in the Challenge, I think Coolamasta deserves some rep from us too.

Here's some from me: Thank you Coolamasta for doing a very good job at representing and leading the team this year in the Chimps Challenge. :clap:

4. Quavr

Quavr Minimodder

Well done everyone, +rep coolamasta :thumb: only just remembered it had finished to switch my rig back over :)

5. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

+1 for Coolamasta :thumb:

6. BJS

BJS What's a Dremel?

Rep for coola, you do a great job mate. Well done.:clap:

7. Taffy

I have Just worked out what my rigs cost to run for the 10 days of the Chimp Challenge. This is all the rigs shown in my Signature. and that is 155.5 units of electricity at the lower rate of 6.5p per unit and that adds up to £12.31. in total or £1.23 per day, or £449.31 per Annum. Not bad, when you consider my ancient rigs, will try to update for next year.:eeek::eeek: pension permitting.:sigh::sigh:

Unicorn likes this.
  8. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Nice job guys :) I switched my SMP back over with 40mins left of the challange as it was just starting a new unit.

Must of contributed around 50k on it.

Unicorn likes this.
  9. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Thank you all :thumb:

Have just my daily limit of 10 more REP's, still 14 more peeps than need some so over next 2 days you will have have some :)

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Taffy, your electricity prices over there are insanely cheap! Take it at 7p/unit while you can get it - it's 14p per unit over here! :/

I just want to say a massive thank you to all who took part in the CC for CPC & bit-tech this year. We really gave it our all and that shows very clearly in the results. For a team of only dedicated folders like ourselves to finish 4th against some of the biggest teams in the world is a fantastic result and seeing our points increase so much every day throughout the challenge made me seriously proud to be a part of this team. Big thanks to the people who made this happen this year like all our top folders, Lizard for what he didn't do ;) Coolamasta for once again being a superb captain and organizing everything so well, Arthur for keeping me company in the Chimp Chat box :thumb: and keeping us all in the loop with points updates and last but not least every single person who folded every single point for CustomBitChimps this year!

I'd also like to say thanks to HWC for once again providing a fantastic stats page for the challenge and the rest of the team captains who helped organize the monkey fight this year. I'm really looking forward to next year already! :D

11. Taffy

Sorry Unicorn, I forgot to mention that I am on a "Special" rate and that is the cheap half of the rate (its in 2 parts) my "normal" base rate is a lot more than that. one advantage of being a "Senior" citizen :D
    I also note that the temperature was increased by an average of 2.5'C in my lounge whist Chimping.:D

12. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Looking to build another 24x7 folding rig around winter time to keep the temps up in my house :)

My PC room has sat at around 26 degrees for the past 10 days whereas the rest of the house has sat at 18-20 :)

13. Unicorn

Taffy - I see what you mean. I still think it's a lot cheaper than NI prices to be honest. Did I hear one of the Americans from OCN mention that their units were $0.10 (10 cents) each in parts of the USA? That's less than 7p :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's all for a good cause no matter what it costs! My workshop was a heck of a lot more than 2.5°C more during the CC, it was rarely below 30° ambient and on the hot days during the week it rose to 35°, which was roughly 15° above it's usual 20° ambient :D

14. Haphestus

Haphestus ....the folding under dog

Hey Unicorn, fit some extract fans in the roof and air bricks in the walls at low level....you will create your own "workshop heat exchanger" :D:D

or if temps keep rising a bakery !!:lol:

15. coolamasta

Think I need to look at fitting some extraction fans into the roof of my home office (converted bedroom) its getting to the point I can't work in there during the summer because of the heat so end up using my laptop on the dining room table lol I might just fit 2 bathroom extractors in there and see how it goes, just not sure whether its wise to vent the hot air into the loft space or not...

Would buy an air-con unit but don't want to pay the running costs of it, just need to create some air movement somehow...

16. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Tis dry heat, don't see why not. If it was humid then I would say no.

Will warm up your 'cold' water supply tho if you have a tank in the loft :)

Could put it up, then through a 90 degree bend then out some wall mounted vents... if you have a flat wall that is.

17. Haphestus

Coola, venting into the loft space is OK as long as you have trickle ventilation in your soffit's underneath your roof. Given its not the bathroom your venting you wont have moisture build up and then a small army of mutants growing up there.

This will provide natural ventilation and stop any issues with pressure etc....

Just make sure you don't have insulation tucked into them as many people do.

Also bathroom fans will lead you to commit suicide. Get some in-line centrifugal fans that mount in the loft. These are quieter and will move air like a mini tornado. You will also only need the one.

Oh and last thing, make sure you have a gap under your door of at least half an inch. if you don't like this then cut a vent into the door at low level, and have a sign on the door " NO WIGS ALLOWED" (health and safety reasons) :D:D

happy to recommend the fans but would need the dimensions of the room and the ceiling height.

18. coolamasta

Cheers for the extra info guys, to explain a little more, its the little bedroom I converted and because of the heat I actually took the door off the hinges so its all open, I open the office window and a window the opposite side of the house normally so with a steady breeze outside it makes it bearable but when its humid with no air movement the heat gets silly!

Good shout on the in-line centrifugal fan Haphestus, I recently replaced my bathroom one as years of crap blocked it up and the fan motor burnt out plus like you say they run a lot quieter. :thumb:
    My loft is actually converted to a room as well but the corner sections of the roof are still boarded off with a small access hatch's to each side so I would be putting the fan(s) venting into this space and not the loft conversion.

I just need to go around and check that around the roof soffets have vents, I take it you mean these yah? (quick google images pic)

[​IMG]

19. Unicorn

Hehe, that's actually how I was cooling it in the old garage I used to run it in :D

Unfortunately the workshop is (at present) a sealed, windowless room with only one door leading to another room, so I'm going to have to get some sort of ventilation in there soon. It's been on the agenda for a long time and to be honest should have been done when I was rennovating the place but that's not 100% finished yet either so there's still time yet :)

20. Haphestus

Thats the Kiddies.

Im glad you said that was a stock image as you need to repair your barge boards!! :D

If you have a room up there but can get to the soffit's, you could cut them in yourself and vent straight outside. WIN WIN.

When using flexible ducting, you need to minimise its length though otherwise this starts to imped on the flow rate as the weight of the air increase over distance. Under 5m would be no problem.

I have also had a thought!!

Your fighting an uphill battle with heat but you could help yourself, by putting the door back on and putting your windows on vent, as the top of the house is always hotter than the bottom. (no jokes on physics 101 here please) With the door off your actually going to drag heat in from the house and see a only mild improvement.

If you fit the fan, fit a draught excluder to the door and then create a flow of air using the window as the fresh supply. You will draw in the cooler air from outside without using second-hand air from the house. Just turn the light off at night otherwise you will have a BUG swarm in the morning. Night time chilling would work a treat!

Failing all that, give me £ 5k and I will fit a 10kw air-con unit in there and that puppy in that room would make ICE!! :D:D