1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official CPC & Bit-Tech Chimps Challenge 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 2 Feb 2011.

1. Haphestus

Haphestus ....the folding under dog

Dude, get a drill and get those bad boys in!!

Your will also benefit from increase brain power due to the abundance of fresh air.

You wont believe what a sealed room does to the old noodle :D

2. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Really appreciate your help mate :thumb: all makes perfect sense.
    Thats very interesting about me having the door off, I need to refit it again anyway so will make sure there is a decent gap underneath it for airflow.

Your idea is really good about cold air in through window and hot air up into extractor but the problem is the window is on the side of the room where the extractor would have to fit into the roof for it to go into the loft void and the folding machines, server, network gear etc is the other side of the room. :(
    Need to have a think and maybe a room change but thanks a lot for the info, some food for thought... :thumb:

Oh and I know how cold a 10kw air con unit is, we have 2 in a small data centre in one of our offices, its really nice to stand in front of it a hot day, any longer and you start to loose feeling in your face lol

3. Haphestus

No worries mate, and if you need any further help with specing Hardware (this time on ventilation :)) then please let me know.

I take your point about the location of the equipment and yes being the other-side of the room wouldn't have a marked benefit over what you have currently.

Could you sketch the room out with dimensions and rough locations of the rigs, plus the external walls, scan it and attach it as a picture?

What we need to achieve is a fresh air source from out side below your rigs some how. Im starting to think a work bench frame faced with a metal mesh to allow clean air to pass underneath them but being brought in from an outside wall via a wall mounted louvre on the outside of the building.

I can feel my problem solving creative juices starting to flow! (I love playing with other peoples money :D:D)

Anyway, just let me know if you need anything else!

and remember....CHILL out!!! rofl :)

4. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

I put a 12" temperature-controlled fan into the external wall of my computer room - warm air from the PC's creeps up the sloped roof in the room, and when it hits 26DegC the fan at the apex of the wall sucks it out the building - oh, and its speed-adjustable. :naughty:

5. Haphestus

Doc ....thats just PRO :D

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

So that's what's been wrong with me all these years! :D :hehe:

I'm slightly worried about drilling into that outer wall... it's a supporting wall for the house - it's the bottom of a 50 foot gable wall... I'll have to get a builder or architect out to look at potential solutions to it sometime.

G0UDG likes this.
  7. Haphestus

Dude if its at the bottom of a main wall trust me, a couple of holes wont bring it down :D

I took out an external wall here and the hole i made was 2.4m long and 2.5m high.

the side of my house didn't move one bit :D

Now, being sensible here, if you believe you may cause a problem then yes, ask someone's opinion. A builder or similar would be able to help. Or you could call the council and talk to building control. They could advise you as well.

8. Unicorn

I'm also going to have to go and get a massive drill bit to do it - it's a one meter thick wall at the base :D

I honestly think it may cause a problem though, without putting a small head or something in. All 4 walls of my workshop are supporting walls for a two storey house - that may be hard to picture but it's in the basement behind the basement garage, so basically all the walls but one are 1 meter thick or more at the bottom. The workshop is actually built in a section of the upper part of the footings if that makes sense - in the original plans it was a void area but Dad and I cut into it and built the workshop in it after we moved in. It's a split level house so can be very hard to imagine it properly. The wall that the door is on (going through to the garage) is less than a meter but is still built with concrete blocks lying on their long side!

9. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

That's not quite what my wife said .... the word 'SAD' sprung to her mind :hehe:

10. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

so what did Lizard not do?

11. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

He didn't do a million points a day during most of the Chimp Challenge. I will have to get the August edition of Custom PC. There might be a revue in there of something with a lot of CPUs in it.

Actually, Custom PC is a gaming and customising magazine. August might have a group review of the next generation CPUs and motherboards, or one of the other Dennis magazines might have some interesting new hardware. It is just my idle curiosity anyway.

Last edited: 18 May 2011
  12. Haphestus

Doc, don't worry we all have one of those.......do we find buying a different dress for every occasion (compulsive, irrational and a waste of money). My answer is NO, its just what our lovely wives and girlfriends have to do. (run's and hides)

We don't judge.............. so neither should they :D:D

13. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

So...

... contrary to some of the speculation on the forum over the last couple of weeks I wasn't folding any new super secret Intel or AMD CPUs (or was I, and I can't tell you, even now ;))...

... instead what I did was have a word with some of my contacts at a certain microprocessor manufacturer, persuading them to give me a remote login to one of their supercomputers in their cluster test lab in their main office in the UK for the duration of the CC2011.

This cluster comprised 16 nodes, each with a pair of 6-core 2.93GHz Xeon X5670s and 48GB of RAM, connected to each other and a head machine via a Mellanox ConnectX QDR Infiniband.

In other words sweet candy :D

With each of the nodes running a single CPU bigadv folding client on Red Hat Enterprise, the cluster as a whole output around 1.4 million ppd during the CC2011.

Still, regardless what I did, it was the combined effort of everybody in the team that carried us to our best ever 4th place this year in the Chimps Challenge :clap:

14. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

Hey Lizard, can i borrow that log in for a few days to get my total up :naughty:

15. Unicorn

I knew it... I knew there was something cluster-like and probably full of Xeons behind it! I knew this because I knew that even if the whole CPC office was filled with shelves full of standard i7 or even SR2 folding rigs, you couldn't have produced over a million PPD with them :hehe:

I am impressed Lizard, well played :thumb:

16. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Very well played indeed Lizard :thumb:

From the above I don't think James still has access to the kit but in the best tradition of our first post CC celebrations two years ago, if you're agreeable, I'd be happy to give your your total a boost as a bit of a thankyou for particpating.

Leroyingo likes this.
  17. coolamasta

Haha was wondering if you were going to say anything James, I had to play stupid throughout as didn't want to wreck the surprise, was funny watching people work out something was going on though ;)

18. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Now that was just plain mean :D

19. coolamasta

Nahhhh had to keep the pressure on mate, if people knew we had nifty cluster helping us out they may have backed off on their own PPD, plus it was fun watching people try and work out the big dump everyday although it was a bit crap the first dump was pre-mature, bad timing, doh!
    P.S you seen my very slow SR-2 build yet mate, link is in me sig ;)

Just left my 3rd batch of REP for everyone, only 4 more people to leave rep for which I will do tomorrow :thumb:

20. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

I'm afraid I was only able to book the cluster for the duration of the CC2011; it's now being used by somebody else, probably researching the best way to grind coffee beans or how to make better missiles for somebody :hehe:

I probably could output a million ppd from the sutff we've got in the CPC and bit office, but from previous experience I know the air con couldn't cope with the heat. Plus, even though I'm the boss, the noise would make me pretty unpopular with the rest of the team.

That's a nice gesture phoenicis :)

I did hum and har over the last few days about whether to say anything or not, but javaman and ArthurBuse kept asking and speculating so I thought it would be fun to reveal the truth. It was fun seeing people asking when only a couple of us (myself, saspro and coolamasta) knew the truth. It's also worth thanking Intel too, as after all, it could have easily said no to using one its clusters for free for 2 weeks :clap: