1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Live8 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by :: kna ::, 2 Jul 2005.

1. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

I missed The Who. *searches bit torrent*

Anyone who has it. PM.

2. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

I thought the cover Travis did of the Beegee's was the best song of the night IMHO, although Snow Patrol were pretty class, some of the stuff was balls though..

Did you notice almost every band had backing african singers, probably to make up for that 'wheres the african bands' plea..

- M@

3. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Biggest travesty of the night was limiting The Killers to one song and letting crap like Joss Stone go on and on and on :rolleyes:

My highlights were Coldplay and Richard Ashcroft (and Coldplay then doing Fix You, awesome live), Snow Patrol, The Killers, The Who and of course Pink Floyd.

And what the smeg had Robbie been smoking when he did that interview with Fearne? That was cringeworthy and hilarious at the same time...

4. SHAKIRALOVER

SHAKIRALOVER What's a Dremel?

Well when she sang it live yes, but i got it off Limewire this morning. :D

5. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I was actually there.

My first hand impressions:

- It was pretty badly organised from our perspective. We (and about 20 thousand others) turned up at the gates we were told to, and found they were closed and that there was only ONE open gate at the opposite side of Hyde Park. We queued for about 2.5hrs to get in. When U2 came on we were still (according to the helpful signs) 1600m from the front of the queue. About 5mins after U2 had finished, the police closed the roads, and this allowed the huge queue of people to suddenly surge forward (we pretty much ran the remaining 1.5km) only to be coralled by the police horses to prevent us killing ourselves. I'm amazed how good humoured everyone was, considering the ********ers queue jumping. The general impression was that no-one knew what was going on and that the police had too much to do as the gay pride march was happening right next to Hyde Park too.

- Hyde Park = ******** venue. We never expected to be close to the stage, but even after spending 30mins squirming our way forward through the crowd, we still couldn't make out figures on the stage. We ended up spending most of the time (as many others did) sitting on the grass and watching on the big screens and trying to ignore the 5second delay between the crap PA and the pictures on the screen.

- Probably due to the bloated bill and slow turnaround between acts (what happened to the rotating stages abilities?) we missed the last 3hrs worth as we (and many others) had to leave for trains - so I missed everything from Snow Patrol onwards ;(

- Best bits? Ricky Gervais doing his dance and Razorlight.

- Worst bits? Madonna, and that pisshead murdering the T-rex song with Sir Elton. Oh and Michael Stipe looking like a complete plum with that paint on.

- Bill Gates came across quite well, but the introduction to him was hilariously awful. I'm amazed Sir Bob didn't just give him a medal for Most Amazing Human Being Ever.

- The lack of black and asian talent on the bill was strange enough (Snoop was ******** btw and didnt look too arsed to be there) and the almost complete lack of black or asian faces in the audience was just as bizarre.

- Quite something when they played the film of the starving children (pre-Madonna) and most of Hyde Park went really quite. Dead odd to look around and see everyone standing in silence during that bit. I thought the films and guest speakers did a good job, and were generally well recieved. I see the point about the autocues and such, but it never came across as too stilted except when Sir Bill G kept pausing for applause a la one of his keynote speeches. I beleive many of the short films were cut by the Beeb in preference of Jonathan Woss... which was a shame because it kind of put it in perspective and it never really felt like a jolly day out knowing why it was all being done. There was also a strong contingent of charities and political groups, with tons of literature being handed out all day - it might have been nice to have had a little more a political flavour (a la Edinburgh) on the stage though to really back it up.

6. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

i dont mind having the concert goin on an such...but for goddsake dont hog the bloddy transport..everywhere i went i couldnt get a seat anywhere....either bus or tube...for people whom work in the city the weekends are a nightmare..and so much so with all these "one day tourists" using up all the public transport.....

bob geldof wont get a damn penny from me.

[/rant]

7. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Ahahahahahahahahaha... classic.

I dunno who those people thought they were, raising awareness of world issues and trying to do something positive for the world. Tsk. Who do they think they are? Eh?

8. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

lol got back from my gf's this afternoon, left it recording all night, and have now filled two entire hard drives. think its time to start a thread in software on how to edit and compress it all hehe

Was an amazing thing seeing pink flloyd. All these years loving the music and never expecting to see them back together.....and there they were! i shall be playing along to the pulse disks for weeks now hehe

9. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

point less even if u ask me......the world wont change because some musicians says so.....power is in the hands of the fools who run vairous westen countrys......the only thing i can see is that the musicians selling more cd's.

the world is not fair,neither is life.
    there will allways be poor an rich people.
    people giving up power will never happen...in the society we live in.

the only benifit that this event has caused is awareness.nothing more.....u must be dreaming if they are gonna wipe afrika debt.

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Watch the news sometime, it's been done, agreed and signed, debt for 18 African Nations wiped.

Anyway, the Floyd omg, Robbie was pretty good I thought, razorlight pwned hard, and wtf with only allowing the killers to play one track.
    Madona still knows how to entertain.

Ricky Gervais and Peter Kaye are two of the funiest men on the planet.

11. Been

Been What's a Dremel?

pink floyd were amazing. i thought they did extremely well concidering gilmour and waters havn't talking in like 20 years. in my opinion the best band of the whole thing.

MONEY

12. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Didn't go, but watched it on TV. Best part of the whole show was the last hour.. The Who frackin' ROCKED, Pink Floyd was amazing and it's always a good thing when Paul Mcartney does the old Bettles classics :)