1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official New Design Thread

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by :: kna ::, 2 May 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

the redesign is just fine save for the fugly color of the box in which i am typing this and the fact that i have to leave the forums to read the news, thats pretty weak!!!! keep up the good work bit :thumb:

2. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

so its this or nothing. Can we change the colour scheme? I find this pale baby-blue really bright on my eyes. Can we have the option to go back to the old COLOUR SCHEME? I personally liked it, although I know a lot of people found it too dark. The option would be nice... I would REALLY appreciate that one. Far too bright for my little peepers...

EDIT: Actually, I think thats what bugs me the most. The colour scheme change. PLEASE can we have the option of making it dark like before? *begs*

3. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Man, you're so.. this morning ;) Look down to the theme chooser at the bottom, there's a Dark and Retro subtheme.

4. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

OH MY GOD! RETRO IS SO THE WAY TO GO! THANKYOU ::KNA::! O BABY, THATS BETTER.

BIT-TECH, I LOVE YOU!

Edit: Tiny grumble......once you've posted, and it give you the "Thanks for posting" screen, the background to that is white. Yuk....The colours make this so much better ::KNA:: Thankyou!
    *huggles*
    *brushes down clothes*
    *looks embarassed*

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Whatever... agree. :)
    Awesome work done over there guys. Eventhough I really did like the old look the new one kicks a**.

6. disco volante

disco volante What's a Dremel?

I don't like it, the new layout looks cheap. The old layout really caught my eye, but I'd probably skip this page over if I saw it for the first time as it is now

7. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Loving the retro theme! Buttons could do with de-blueing, other than that it's perfect :thumb:

<A88>

8. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I don't know if it's been said before and I'm not reading 21 pages to find out but the google ads are really intrusive. Fair enough, I don't mind looking at them and even clicking on them (helps pays the bills, right?) but if there is a picture on a thread that is wider than my sceen size, the bloody ads sit right on top of it. If there is a way to close the ads once they have been glanced at, please let me know.

they are way too intrusive like this, surely there are better ways to make money from the site?

9. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

i'm fine with the adds at the side, its just that damn banner at the top thats bugging me, having a widescreen laptop, when i load up bit-tech its right in the middle of my screen.. i know the adverts pay for this site but couldnt that be changed to another side banner or maybe incorporated into the top logo so it doesnt take up too much of the screen

its always nice to be able to glance at the new stories on the front page... now i have to scroll to see them :sigh:

edit: actually i dont mind the top banner on the forums, maybe its just the fact that the front page is both thin and has a huge banner filling the space

10. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i second this. do something about the bright blue column down the side. i like the bright colors in small doses(the buttons at the top look great), but the blue at the side is so bright it distracts me from the thread i am reading. either fill the whole column with adds, tone down the blue so it's a little less bright, or put some content down below the adds. maybe a list of the most active threads or something

if you are using ff, get the nukethis extension. just rightclick on the banner ad and then get rid of it. bit-tech still gets paid for showing the ad, but you can get rid of it

Last edited: 3 May 2005
  11. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Have a look at this: http://www.lurghi.net/btforumsdesign/test.htm
    Okay, I know it looks absolutely horrible, but the colours on this sample are just to show what's going where.

All I've done is replace the tables in the HTML with DIVs (With appropriate floating) to achieve the same effect.

You should be able to see what I've done, and hopefully you can do the same with the forums without having to hack vB to bits.

[edit] And take a look at this: http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/index.htm, especially Tutorial 9, to see just how you can make things work so there's no dead space, and nice and scalable [/edit]

Last edited: 3 May 2005
  12. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

I am not really a fan of this new design. The Color scheme is way too bright in my opinion. Even with the dark option it is way to bright. YOu need to fix the ads on the right because when you are using 800x600res(at school right now) the ad cuts over into the right of the add comment box and covers up some smiles. Please if you could also add a way to be able to use the old design.

13. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

the retro feels good :) though maybe change the color fo the right hand side ? :) and the buttons ? :p

14. orb

orb satisfying.

I like it. Not too sure on the big ass banner on the right though..

15. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

well I like it... at least what I've seen so far anyway. :thumb: Retro colours are easier on the eyes though (cheers KNA).
    edit: and the ad's don't bother me, I've always seen them as a necessary evil.

16. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

Sorry if this has been noticed before (im not going to read 10+ pages, and the search didn't show anything :p ), but the "Email Editor" link on the bottom of the forums points to "http://www.bit-tech.net" and then on all the other pages it points to "mailto:editor"

While i would love to email "editor," i think a domain name at the end would be helpful :)

Nice job on layout btw, not decided on colors yet. However i think Bit is doing way too much ads....

/me remenises to the good ol` days where Bit refused to advertise :D

**Edit: 21 pages :O!
    Also: GREAT JOB with the columns section, i REALLY like that layout!

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I agree, might as well fill the space.

But I don't think the request is even made if you use Adblock or NukeThis or some other FF extension. However I dunno whether Bit does pay by the month or if it's request or click based.

18. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

what about this person!? the blue bar will take up everything! :p

[​IMG]

19. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

Change is Good. Don't fear Change.

I slacked-off checking out BT for a few days and it goes and changes on me, that will teach me. Other than the skyscaper ad on the right in the forums, I think this redesign is a home run! The admins have been very responsive to everybody's suggestions/complaints (dare I say whining) and I thank god I missed the whole user infomation bar running across the top thing.

My suggestions:

1) Tone down the tabs color scheme just a touch (adding say 10-15% black to each except perhaps the "ABOUT" tab). At the intensity they are at now, they visually compete with the content. I think they should complement the content not compete with it.

2) Just the opposite for the "thread state" icons, deepen or intensify the colors in them to increase the contrast. They are a bit hard to make out as they are. Also would suggest going more towards orange with the yellow (hot thread) icons for the same reason.

3) The "Quick Links" listings on the web side seem too jumbled to be easily scanned. I would suggest going down a couple of point sizes and adding some space between listings. That would help legability and the scanability of those listings. I like them in the topic colors.

That's all I've run across. There are a lot of things I like about the redesign and very few I don't. Great job BT Staff and Admins!

20. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

The retro scheme is perfect, thanks. It's a great compromise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.