1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Oh God, What have I gotten myself into?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ryan Cooper, 8 Apr 2009.

1. Ryan Cooper

Ryan Cooper It's been a long time.

I use DEV-C++ so what I have works with it.

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Well for a start this shouldn't compile #include <isostream> because it's iostream. Like input/output. Your main() doesn't need to take arguments and doesn't need to return anything so you should be defining it as such. And cout is part of the namespace std:: (which you haven't defined - using namespace std;).

Do you really want to be inside of a machine with firmware written by someone who doesn't fully understand the code they've written?

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be nasty here. I really want you to give this your best shot and I'm working on robotics projects myself. I just want to make sure you do it right. ;)

3. SiG

SiG What's a Dremel?

I don't see how this should be a problem...

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

How are you going to deal with long-distance flights where you will need to expel certain bodily fluids? You should probably look into building a catheter into the suit, and possibly build a recycling device to turn the urine into fresh drinking water.

5. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

According to scientist that apart from urea (SP) urine is almost the purist water you can find.

6. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

And H2SO4 is the purest water you can find. Apart from the sulphur trioxide.

Pro tip: don't drink acid rain.

Guest-23315 likes this.
  7. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I'm sorry, but this won't work.

Maybe you are able to make the mechanical part of this thing. But you simply won't be able to build any control system for it. You will need pressure sensors on the inside that controls electric, hydraulic or pneumatic actuators on the exoskeleton. This may sound easy, but scientists with lots of time and money have tried to perfect this for years. Add rockets to the mix (Which are harder to control and need MUCH more stability) and you have a metallic disaster on your hands (around your body, actually).

Oh, and even if you got the parts you have sourced to work (Which you wont, as they are missing important bits) are you willing to risk your life on scrap hardware? Remember that an error in hardware or code could crush you or at least break bones.

My first try wasn't a complete failure. I just haven't had the time to give it a third shot yet.

:hehe::D

8. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Tony Stark is a figment of Stan Lee's imagination.
    Oh dear, this is beginning to look like a problem now. :rolleyes:

9. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

He'll steer with the sheer force of his legs, don't worry about that.

So, have you decided on the color?

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

the whole problem with this is that your trying to mix the fictional world of comics into the real world.

even if you manage to design and make a suit that gives you an mechanical advantages as well as flight :)hehe:) you still cant store enough energy. Even Stan lee understood hence the creation of the arc reactor.

Best way this project could end is a glorified fancy dress suit with a decent HUD if your lucky.

There i have tried to be helpful, but the idea is pretty much only possible in the film and comic world.

11. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Shall we call in the men in white coats now? perhaps he can share a room with sarah Conner.

g3n3tiX likes this.
  12. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

Epic LoL. :thumb:

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

That really made me chuckle... :lol:

14. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

What a muppet!

ROFL

Building a flying mechnoid suit using a bucket of 10c parts!

If you're going to need a few thousand little 9c grub screws then "most" of your parts will be cheap...

But all the others are going to cost you billions in R&D alone.

Oh I do hope you're trying to make us all laugh with this.

Because that's the only success you're ever going to have with this.

LOL

15. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I have to kind of go along with other people here, your mad!!! But good luck anyway, hope you prove us all wrong.

16. Ryan Cooper

UPDATE #3 (Part 1) TECHNICIAL/ INFORMATIONAL UPDATE: POWER.

Hey everybody, it's been a couple weeks, so I decided to share some of my research with the good people here.

I now have a feasible power supply (gotta start somewhere folks), and that would be a Thermoelectric Generator, or TEG for short. The TEG utilizes the thermoelectric effect with a thermocouple (I will explain both of those later) to generate electricity. So in essence, heat + TEG= energy. Oh, and i WILL repeat myself down there, so don't get stressed by it.
    Now for the TECHNICAL JARGON :jawdrop:

You don't have to read this if you don't want to. :p

A thermocouple is a junction between two different metals (usually either Copper and Iron, or a Ferrous and non Ferrous metal) that produces a voltage related to a temperature difference. Thermocouples are a widely used type of temperature sensor and can also be used to convert heat into electric power. This can be achieved by, instead of sending electricity through the connections, which will produce a "Hot" junction and a "Cold" junction, heating one junction and cooling the other, generating what we have come to know as electricity(I will explain how in the latter) Most thermocouples are cheap, interchangeable, have standard connectors, and can measure a wide range of temperatures. The main limitation is accuracy due to the fact that most system errors; temperature differences less than one kelvin can be difficult to measure.

The thermoelectric effect, also known as the Seebeck Effect is the direct conversion of temperature differences to electric voltage and vice versa (similar to solar cells in concept, but instead with heat). A thermoelectric device creates a voltage when there is a different temperature on each side of two junctions. Thermodynamically speaking, when voltage is applied to the circuit, it creates a temperature difference at the two junctions. At an atomic scale (more specifically, charge carriers), an applied temperature difference causes charged carriers in the material, whether they are electrons or holes, to diffuse from the hot side to the cold side, similar to a classical gas that expands when heated; hence, the thermally-induced current.

My thermoelectric generator is based off of a radioisotope thermoelectric generator (RITEG), which is an electrical generator which obtains its power from radioactive decay. In such a device, the heat released by the decay of a suitable radioactive material (most commonly Plutonium 238, curium 244 and strontium 90, but Polonium 210, Promethium 147, Caesium 137, Cerium 144, Ruthenium 106, Cobalt 60, Curium 242 and Thulium isotopes are also used) is converted into electricity by the Seebeck Effect using an array of thermocouples. RITEGs can be considered to be a battery-like device, and have been used as power sources in satellites, space probes and unmanned remote facilities (such as a series of lighthouses built by the former Soviet Union inside the Arctic Circle). RITEGs are usually the most desirable power source for unmanned or unmaintained situations needing a few hundred watts or less of power for durations too long for fuel cells, batteries and generators to provide economically, and in places where solar cells are not viable. Also,
    I WILL NOT BE USING RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL.:hehe:

Now, on with more detail about my specific generator. This generator will be a type of thermocouple, in which the heat will be provided by a HHO flame (Do I need to explain THAT too?? NEXT POST), and the cooling will be provided by the room temperature air. These thermocouples are similar to ~1mm plates and pretty cheap. I'll have an array of these, light them up, and see how much voltage and amperage I get.

I still have two more posts to do today, so don't go nowheres.:D

Last edited: 6 May 2009
  17. Ryan Cooper

UPDATE #3 (Part 2) TECHNICIAL/ INFORMATIONAL UPDATE: POWER.

Hey again, this is update 2 out of 3 for today. This is where I explain to the kind and supporting people out there the wonder of HHo.
    As a technical note/ warning, this post may or may not be long even though I have done extensive research on this topic (worked on it for a science fair project last year).

HHo, also known as Oxyhydrogen, and Dihydrogen Dioxide, is a mixture of Hydrogen and Oxygen, in a 2:1 molar ratio, the same proportion as water (hence, being water without being water). This gaseous mixture is occasionally used for torches, the processing of refractory materials, stage lighting, and was the first gaseous mixture used for welding. Oxyhydrogen will combust when brought to its autoignition temperature (around 570°C - 1065 °F). The minimum energy required to ignite this mixture would be a spark of around 20 microjoules (that's 20 millionths of a joule). At normal temperature and pressure, HHo can burn when its hydrogen content is anywhere between 4% and 95% hydrogen by volume.
    When oxidized(in this case, burned), HHo converts to water vapor and releases energy, which sustains the oxidation reaction; Ahem, (241.8 kJ of energy for every mole of H2 burned. The amount of heat energy released is independent of the mode of combustion, but the temperature of the flame varies. The maximum temperature of the flame is around 2800 °C, and is achieved with a pure stoichiometric mixture ( this temp. is about 700 degrees hotter than a hydrogen flame in air). When either of the gases are mixed in excess of this ratio, or when mixed with an inert gas like nitrogen, the heat must be spread throughout a greater quantity of matter, and the maximum temperature will therefore be lowered.

Kay guys, I'll give part three tomorrow, it includes pictures and all that.:clap:

18. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Right, but where is the power supply going to be situated? Somewhere on your body i presume, so your gonna have this massive hot heatsource, right next to your body?

19. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

a TEG system isn't able to put out much power relative to the physical size. The generators may be small enough, but you will also need to carry the tanks of gas with you. And you will probably need some transformer/converter/capacitor system as well.

Your best bet would probably be Li-po batteries. They are light and shape-able. Lipos could get a bit dangerous, though. Puncture a cell, and it may self ignite. (Although it's probably safer than carrying hydrogen on your back.)

20. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

I'm dissapointed that others have beaten me to the dream crushing, but when the pictures of random old-ass Intel and AMD mobos came in I literally spat rice over my desk.