1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Oh God, What have I gotten myself into?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ryan Cooper, 8 Apr 2009.

1. meh

meh What's a Dremel?

A solid rocket booster - you do know you can't stop those things once they're ignited so you can't land till you jettison or run out of fuel?

Miniature turbine engines - if by miniature you mean for model aircraft the best I've seen around are ~150N of thrust - i.e. no where near enough to lift a human never-mind a human with an exoskeleton.

In other words I think I'm going to be another person saying it's not going to happen.

2. Ryan Cooper

Ryan Cooper It's been a long time.

Okay, well I guess i should devulge some details- SRB's mounted on the back (good for 10-15 secs of flight) So, get off the ground. and the model turbine to serve as a physical model to a larger model i'll create. (and i need roughly 950 newtons to lift me.) AND..Since i jumped into a 1,000 foot deep ocean pretending that it's a kiddie pool, i'm gonna go to a cup of water.

3. meh

meh What's a Dremel?

It was an absolute nightmare machining a 50N turbojet with the guide vanes and turbine pre-purchased. As for a 1400N jet (added weight of fuel, jet, starter, support frame and others) where I guess you'll be dealing with much faster rotor speeds and ~5x the exhaust pressure...

4. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Inoxia, probably.

As for turboprops, traditionally, you make them yourself. Another option to look into would be adding a fuel injector to the starter prop from a jet fighter. Start by building a pulsejet. Much easier than a turboprop due to the lack of manifolds, and moving parts in general.

5. Ryan Cooper

Okay, two (or three) requests. Can anybody code lighting effects for an arduino? More importantly, (since frankly, i'm not gonna do it) can anybody code an OS that has properties similar to that of a virus? (by "virus", i mean a program (OS) that can write programs independently, rewrite it's own programming, and can hack other programs)

6. meh

meh What's a Dremel?

Why is the last part even needed? In the film (I'm presuming you are planning to recreate Jarvis) it's an AI, which to the best of my knowledge is still beyond current programming methods =/

7. Ryan Cooper

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Welcome back.:D
    -After 2 of your return posts, you will need to build your own jetpack. I wouldn't go anywhere near an airport, unless you like cavity searches...:worried:

9. omicron

omicron Baud.

Epic troll thread.

10. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Epic lazyness is epic.

But, yeah.

Code:
    void setup() {         
      pinMode(13, OUTPUT);     
    }

void loop() {
      digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
      delay(500);
      digitalWrite(13, LOW);
      delay(500); 
    }

There you go. :lol:

11. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

12. PegasusM

PegasusM Stand back, I'm doing science

or perhaps not:thumb:

13. uberjew666

uberjew666 What's a Dremel?

Great idea, I'm very interested in seeing the outcome of this project!

14. Pieze

Pieze What's a Dremel?

dude shoot for the stair. 100 years ago no one knew that wed have computers today 50 years ago no one ever thought they'd be in a home setting 10 years ago no one thought you'd have a hexa core processor. Amazing what people think cant be done that has.

there are many other examples of this but its all about design hard work and trial and error. No one ever got nething the first time . Thomas Edison failed on the light tons of times. We all have lighting now.

+1 fpr being brave enough to try.:rock:

15. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Wow, this certainly is an ambitious project, and it's one that I would really like to see come to fruition. I'm hoping that you won't give up in the face of ridicule at the prospect of developing techniques and technologies that are still beyond most R&D institutions on the planet. Also, what you're attempting is not safe - even by a long shot - however, if every inventor who has changed the face of the planet for the past 1000 years were sticking to what's safe we would never get anything done.

So, kudos to you man, and I hope you realise the gravity of what you're attempting as well as hoping that you will stick to it and give it your all-out best.

Here are my contributions that I hope may aid you.
    As others have stated, miniature turbines, while certainly awesome by their very nature, have limited lifting power. The highest powered miniature turbine that I've been able to find (the Jetcat P-200SX) can lift just about 23kg - and that's just static lift. When you're considering things such as manouverability and aerial acrobatics you're going to need a whole lot more. I'll imagine though, that if you're a person of slender build you can get away with, say, four of those Jetcats providing lifting power for just under 100kg. That should give you flight as well as limited manouverability. On one standard tank of kerosene fuel those jetcats will run for approximately seven minutes. However, the trick is to get those four jetcats to run in concert.
    They are however, quite expensive. Also, the weight of the suit must be taken into account.

So, let's say you are able to build a suit - enhanced muscle, power system and everything included, which end up weighing 60kg. I'm probably being overly positive here, but hell, I want you to succeed. Furthermore, let's then assume that your weight, in your skintight flightsuit is just 80kg - a reasonable weight for a healthy, adult human male. This brings the total weight of your assemblage to 140kg, which means you'd need eight or more jetcats for flight capabilities with manouverability. At this point you're going to run into space constraints - particularly if you want to stay true to the comics (and the movies) by having the propulsion units mounted in the boots and gloves.

http://www.jetcatusa.com/p200.html

Pulse jets might be the best way to start, but they run a lot hotter and are a lot less controllable. They are also quite temperamental beasts, but in order for you to get your feet wet with jet propulsion they are certainly the simplest.

Furthermore, I do think that checking out what's available in the RC marked might be a good place to start. While military technology have many of the components you'll require for your fully functional Iron Man suit (such as carbon armour, HUDs and whatnot), those systems are prohibitively expensive and many are not available for civilian purchase barring any army surplus outlets.

While we live in a time where mechanical and electrostatic muscle are becoming more and more available, this is one area that I figure will give you a lot of headaches. You could possibly get away with using low voltage actuators for your exoskeleton, but such systems will be bulky and weighty. However, I do know of a system of air powered muscle that just might be available, but expect it to be very pricey. Also, with a pneumatic system you'll need pumps and pressurised air tanks which are quite heavy, putting a strain on your already strained jetcat turbines.

So, to sum up.
    I do love projects like this, and that's also part of the reasons why I love this community so much. I can read numerous posts of brilliant projects that challenge my perceptions of what a computer should look like, and every once in a while a truly out-of-this-world project such as this pops up. And while I certainly believe that it is possible to eventually build such a suit, I see at least a dozen problems which at this point in time and technological level might be insurmountable.

However, don't get me wrong. I really want you to succeed - I want you to be able to, at the end of this, point your finger at all those voices of ridicule and say; haha, told you it could be done. I just hope you are aware of the numerous problems you are facing, all of which will need to be overcome, and most of which will just add to the other problems whenever you think you've found a solution. And while systems such as enhanced muscle, flight, control surfaces and so on might be highly complicated and possibly at this time impossible, your biggest problem will probably be one of energy.

I will add my voice to the others who have already suggested Li-Ion batteries. They are able to store large amounts of power, but yes, they are temperamental and take a long time to charge - and they will drain fairly rapidly, but at this point I think they are your best option.

16. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

For me, this might sum up the entire thread. :hehe:

17. DavidC

DavidC What's a Dremel?

Status on the Suit?

I came across this thread during a search for actual powered exoskeleton suits like the XOS 2 and HAL that are designed for medical rehabilitation (see Tibiron's Bionic Leg) or military use like Berkely Bionics HULC. These suits are nothing like the Marvel's Iron Man suit or what Ryan is attempting to create.

I found the thread somewhat hilarious and interesting. It's cool to have ambition to design something as extravagant as the Iron Man suit. But, reality dictates otherwise. The technology isn't quite there yet. And I seriously doubt that a power source like the fictional arc reactor is even close to a drawing board or any serious realization.

The biggest issue with these exoskeleton suits is an ample power source. Right now the tech doesn't allow for long term operations--a few hours at most, unless literally plugged in, which severely limits functionality in an outdoor environment. The technology is improving, but it is a slow (too slow, IMO).

The statement by Cheapskate:
    is erroneous. Roger Billings is credited for creating the first hydrogen fuel car in 1965 and according to his website http://www.rogerebillings.com/ he is still alive and well.

The last post was in 2010. Is Ryan still working on this suit? Or has he given up?

18. Plodder

Plodder What's a Dremel?

Just read through this post, very interesting :eyebrow:

To be realistic however, as pointed out current known technology will not be enough to make this suit work even if money was literally no object.
    There is no way you will be able to make an exoskeleten to enhance muscular strength and still retain any sort of fluidity of movement and speed.
    Rocket powered flight may be a problem as well :)

Ok so heres my posative feedback.
    How about a lightweight protective suit, kevlar body armour type thing etc, modded to resemble iron man.
    Some sort of roller skates, you could design these from scratch, with a propulsion system to allow you to say get to 40 or 50 mph.

That may be feasible although i must add even that would be pretty dangerous, so dont forget some sort of braking system :)

That should be enough to keep you going for a bit untill you can track down Tony Stark or Reed Richards to help you with the rest. :lol: