1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Oh The Horror! BF3 just isn't all that good

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Action_Parsnip, 22 Apr 2012.

1. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i saw the title...and i thought...que the flame war
    on topic tho, i didnt get on with the game simply coz of the people that play it
    i joined a few servers...and it seems to be more a game of who can start spawnraping first
    when tanks get involved, its impossible to go anywhere without one...
    and thats a big IF i can last a few seconds without some snooty remarks about my rank or beeing booted as the server admins ' dont play with noobs '
    or joining a server where the admins dont heed there own rules, the rules clearly say no spawnraping...and they are happy to kick people when its them on the reciving end...but they are more than happy to dish it out when it earns them more points / more kills
    also dont really see the point in being sold half a game, and having to dish out MORE money for map packs that should have been part of the game to begin with
    just my two cents...

also the OP says you cant look behind you in a jet ??? can you sit in a jet and see out the back ?? nope, all youll see is your chair and perhaps a small area either side of it

que flames

2. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

You can see left and right quite well if you hold right click. And in regards seeing anything outside of cockpit press C (third person) suppression isn't all that bad tbh!

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I have to own up, I whinged alot about suppression. I have got used to it.

As for servers with randoms on spouting crap, well, I don't have a headset and I often just blank out any text talk that's not relevant.

Having said that it was quite funny when one guy was trying to get a rise out of me for some random reason, I think because I'd got him a couple of times, and he started ranting on about 'whatever gun noob' (it seems you can be a noob using any weapon) and I then happened to stumble across him and take his dogtags.

Obviously I was then 'knife noob' and he left the server. Funny folk on the net. Funny folk. :)

On a whole though, I love BF3 but then this is my first BF game. It blows CoD out of the water for me (although some of the changes started to give it a worringly CoD feel).

Perhaps if I'd played previous BFs I would think differently.

4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Same thoughts here about suppression, I still don't like it, but I've adapted. Hopefully it doesn't become too COD like

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i agree. there is so much unneeded extra mechanics added to the game, not enough effort on the actual base mechanics. enemy appear out of thin air, terrible netcode and worst of all: client side processing.

with this client side hit reg processing, you could often be 100% health, then die immediately without seeing the hit direction overlay. with BF2 and BFBC2, the gun inaccuracy + server side hit reg means it takes a whole clip to kill, this gives everyone enough time to react by either run to cover or return fire. this is no longer possible in BF3 because of suppression and even if you run into cover, you'll still die from laggy client side hit-reg processing.

don't get me started on suppression.

the whole gun customisation system is BS, in the end, everyone will just stick to the weapon works for them, so why not just make guns fundamentally different?

lack of bombs for jet is also a complete oversight. also lack of cursor for TV missile. (sign of consolification, see my sig)

finally, jumping over walls, knifing animation, flashlights and the sun glare are just little things they added to make the game more difficult to play.

no, i don't want a BF2 copy. but at very least make the netcode solid with server side hit register. take out suppression inaccuracy. put in jet bombs. take away gun specific unlocks. also make a tank out of steel, paper tanks are pretty useless.

end of the day, BF3 is a console game designed to appeal for CoD audience. i absolutely hate infantry combat parts of the game simply because it is unpredictable, but can't get enough of the vehicle aspects of the Battlefield experience. :D

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I enjoy both infantry and vehicle maps. Have spent an entire round as infantry using jeeps and taking out tanks and aa with c4. Its fun when the same person camps the aa!!

7. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

I played just over 90 hours within couple months, but have not touched it since november I think. Tried to play it couple months ago, but complete coincidence when I did the driver updates my graphics card did a poo (due to different issue), but pissed me off so much I just cant be bothered with it

8. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I've clocked in just over 184 hours so far, and I must say I've got no problem with any of the game. I've steadily improved in skill level as I've been playing and I must admit, having tried BC2 about a month ago, it feels... Well, kiddy. I guess it fits some people and not others, but to me, whether I'm on foot (preferred), in the sky (2nd) or in a vehicle (still learning!), I feel comfortable with the game and don't feel either overwhelmed by the gameplay, nor let down by the drawbacks.

With regards to netcode, I recommend everyone plays with the slider in the Gameplay options, as my game has smoothed out a lot since twiddling with that. It does seem custom for every user though. Mine is about halfway up, but many play with none, and many with full.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

the network slider is just how much smoothing the game applies to patch the buggy netcode. at minimal, it applies minimal smoothing, sends and receives as fast as possible, giving the player an advantage. at maximum, it applies a large amount of smoothing, but doesn't send/receive as fast. this makes knifing animations very smooth, but puts the player at an disadvantage like getting killed after running into cover.

this whole problem would be gun if they used server side detection like every single other server-client based games in the world.

the reason i like infantry combat in BFBC2 so much is mainly due to requiring a full clip to kill someone. not whoever shoots first; only whoever is in best cover. also, the fact you can actually get the pistol out of your backside fast enough to get a shot off is pretty important. BF3 just feels sluggish in weapon selection, yet everything is over way too fast in firefights.

actually when both party are suppressed, it goes to the other end of the spectrum and becomes ridiculous.

10. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Another thing is the night and day of pub solo play, and proper communicated gameplay. You're all welcome to come on the mumble server in Wyx's sig, well except if your just going to moan about us sucking - failure is an option, right up there with having audacious (piss taking) fun.

Going solo has many well documented (in the general thread) pitfalls, so much so that participants don't play solo.

11. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Quite right, team work is a must for anyone who plays with us. Though going solo is needed at times. Being stealthy in regards C4ing a Vehicle on City Maps. Have seen some good team work in capping objectives. And many of us are willing to sacrifice themselves as a distraction. Prime example was last week when someone distracted a tank to allow me to drop C4 on it. They survived I believe but the Tank did not.

Squad play is always best. Pub Servers are full of Solo players that cause problems even when in Squads. I have been in a Squad where every player is recon and useless in regards capping a point or pushing to objective.

12. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I like BF3 but after some months it's boring for me. I don't have much interest in flying jets even though jets were always my number 1 thing. BF3 is impressive but it's getting stale on me now. Far more excitement racing on Dirt 3, Race 07, F1 2011 with fanatec wheel/pedals, body vibration and 3d glasses. BF3 is boring compared to that.

13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

The one good thing about it is before the patch I think I had one ribbon, now I'm nearly at getting my medal. :lol:

14. jcrider

jcrider Minimodder

I rarely play it now, but I've never had any problems with my 2 x 5850's in BF3...

.... now BFBC2 is a different matter.. it flickers constantly with crossfire enabled.

15. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i might head back and give bf3 another go now the mad rush has calmed down...but i have no expantion packs...and im not all that experienced at the game ( so im gonna suck )
    anything i would need ?
    teamspeak ? mumble etc ?

16. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

One of the Aria guys used Frag rounds on Op Metro and simply fired above his targets instead of at them to earn the Suppression Medal. I got mine using the PKP and simply supressing the hell out of players when bunched together. Doing this I also racked up 6-10 kills at a time xD

17. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

BF3 vehicle combat is generally excellent - the problem is at this point with so many vehicle pro's out there with all the best unlocks, you have to be pretty selfish and stupid to take over a vehicle rather than leaving it to one of the pros.

I've level 43ish and I've never flown a jet for long at all, and certainly haven't unlocked anything. This is because I like to play on serious team-play servers...and me using a jet would put my team at a disadvantage as opposed to letting somebody like our very own ORCAGT fly.

Similarly I'm not bad in a tank, but I'm no DracaXL! If a tank becomes available, I let the best driver have it for the sake of the team.

The problem here is I'll never catch these guys up, get as good as them, and get all the best unlocks without being selfish and wrecking it for other people.

It's a stupid game mechanic.

Hence I love and usually play infantry, and I'm good at it! But BF3 is nowhere near as good an infantry game as BFBC2 was.

wyx087 likes this.
  18. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Sometimes you have to be selfish though. You can learn the basics on empty servers but that won't really prepare you for combat situations, and there really is no better way to learn than by going up against someone who is better than you (watching Youtube videos of how some of the better players do it is also helpful).

19. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Oh yeah, sneaky sneaky dander man stuff is important, but an incoherent team just gets blown to bits easy.

Definitely, but proper thought on the job is also needed to maximise the learning potential. Poor tank skills can be mitigated by being supported by your team.

20. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I know what you mean mate, I was on a server last week Sienne Crossing and this Rank 100 guy would not share the tank. Like he was some kind of pro. He would drive off get a few kills and die. I waited and got the tank next spawn and finished the rest of the round in it.

As he was high rank but not that good of a player.