1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old (and amusing) printers

Discussion in 'General' started by IsaacSibson, 18 Oct 2002.

1. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Go on...we've done old games, old computers, etc...

So name the printers you've had, and why they were remarkable

I'll start:

First printer was a daisy-wheel. This is basically a type-writer which connects to the computer....can't remember name or make, but it was rubbish...

Next was an HP Deskjet 500C. Awful thing...never printed straight...could take a black OR a colour cartridge.

Then a succession which have all been good:

HP Laserjet 4M
    Epson Stylus 1520 (A2!!!!)
    HP Laserjet 2200DN
    Brother HL1270N

2. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

started with some epson dotmatrix

then hp laserjet 4L
    some epson inkjet
    hp deskject 8xxx
    hp deskjet 930
    hp laserjet 1100

had a canon bjc somewhere it between

3. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

some old speccy thermal printer... like a recipt printer...
    then a crappy dot matrix,
    some nasty officejet
    then... nothing... gonna get an HP all in one jobbie...
    and a laser printer...:D

4. Adam

Adam Minimodder

I've only ever had two printers -

HP Deskjet 690c - Cost me £200 a few years ago! Print quality was terrible, streaking all the time. Finally fell apart about 18 months ago.

Epson Photo 790 - My current printer cost £130, good print quality and really quick printing text. Only problem is it goes through cartridges like <insert witty analogy>. Luckily I soon cottened on to the savings I could make by buying unofficial cartridges.

I know neither of them are pretty old, but both are quite funny.

5. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

HP500C *shudder*
    HP890C Professional
    HP959c Professional.

Wouldn't consider anything except HP

6. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

It's not my first printer, but an "interesting" one I guess. I still have my old Citizen Printiva 600C. The one that prints from cassettes & can do metallic finishes. It still works, but the cassettes are near impossible to get hold of. There's a place down the road from me in an industrial estate that used to sell them, but I'm not sure if they do anymore...

Got a cheap Epson Stylus 580 now, I still can't get used to the fact that you get the paper wet & it all runs. You could drench the stuff the Citizen printed & it would just stick fast. The 'ink' was like wax.

7. riggs

riggs ^_^

i found an old Sinclair ZX81 in my grandads attic about 5 years ago, that had a thermal printer (tiny thing, about the size of a floppy drive, just a little taller).
    it was rubbish!

Matt

8. Telkman

Telkman What's a Dremel?

I had a dot matrix to start with. all my homeworks yup till the end of year nine or so were done on that, connected up to a 3.11 machine.

got a new computer 2000, had some epson crap that did 0.5 ppm colour 1ppm b/w.

binned that.

use a HP deskjet 850C. the rollers of gone so you have to feed it in manually, and even so, the damn thing still doesn't print straight.

the odd laserwriters on the different macs i've used too.

of them all, the dot matrix seems the best choice. Doesn't eat ink, it prints straight and at a resonable pace.

9. RTT

RTT #parp

HP540 - bought in 1994, still going strong :D

10. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Not had many printers TBH:
    • 9 Pin Star Dot Matrix - Bought for the old Amstrad CPC464, it kept going on a variety of PCs I used until I left college. Gotta love tractor fed fan fold!
    • Olivetti Inkjet printer - Nice printer, and a big step up from DM.
    • Epson 600 Inkjet - Still going strong, but I'm sick of chucking out colour tanks that have loads left in them just because one colour has gone. So I'm looking for a decent photo quality printer with seperate tanks.

11. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

I started with that crappy speccy printer that didnt work properly on my speccy 128k :(, then onto a 9 pin dot matrix star lc-10 for my amiga.
    Next was the popular hp500 that got me through college and uni, and now a hp 840 that cost me £50 when that came out a few years back.

12. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

My first printer was the one I got with my P120, Lexmark Colourfine 1020... Not a bad printer, took a while to print though

Now using a HP Deskjet 930c, Great printer, really fast and great results. Doesn't really drink ink either. Good Shtuff

13. CrOaKeR

CrOaKeR Host warrior 4, Vengence!

erm
    Canon bjc 4000, was the daddy in its day!
    Epson stylus color 300, very carp, but got it in a package ages ago!

I am looking t get a laser for normal text, and a photo printer next
    :D

14. quack

quack Minimodder

Sinclair Spectrum Thermal Printer
    Panasonic Dot Matrix (still got it, it's up in my loft :D)
    HP DeskJet 850C (my current printer)
    HP DeskJet 690C (I gave it away, so went back to the 850)

There might be one or two others, but I can't remember them.

15. ChriX

ChriX ^

Heh

I too had one of those daisywheel pieces of trash
    Then a Seikiosha (or something) mono dot matrix
    Then a Olivetti junkmaster that took either black or colour cartridges
    Then a Lexmark 5700, not a bad one
    Now im on a HP DJ 959c, the same as Phat-at, pretty nice :)

16. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

ive had

a dot matrix 9 pin pritner for the amstrad pcw 8512 or 9512 i dot remember cos it & the printer is in a cupbrad someware & i will pull it out & use it someday as it was a damn relaible machine & printer

tehn i got my first propper computer that came with an epson stylus colour 200 (took eather black or colour cartrage)

now i have an epson stylus colour 660

i like epson printers as there damn good at there job (my epson stylus 200 colour was the first printer i owned & then when that broke i got the one im using now & ifully expect this to last for years longer as it is so relible its unbeliveable)

next pritner will be somehting like a brother laser printer for quick text

17. monty12

monty12 What's a Dremel?

first printer was a commodore 9pinner for my CPC6128, its in the attic, i bet it still works.

next came a HP540 i think, its the one like people mentioned where you could add a black cartridge or a colour one. it worked pretty good till you got the wrong cartridge in and you ended up printing a 20 page document with the colour cartridge in and it looks like dark green text.

next came an Epson Stylus, didn't like them much, always ran out of ink real fast, so got rid of that.

then came a Tektronix Phaser 540 thermal wax, that takes 20 mins to warm up and then 2 mins to process a page before it printed. damn sweet printer, always gave out nice glossy vibrant colours.

then came a HP LaserJet 5M, workhorse of a printer. will consider getting a 2200 when i get some money.

18. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

panasonic dot matrix (printed a 600 page report on it yesterday... dot matrix own for speed and the fact that they like never die)
    cannon bj200c (long since dead)
    hp 4l laser (runs, but not used)
    hp 812c (current... dreadfully slow at color, but does b&w text wicked quick)
    hp psc 500 (current... good for copies, was cheap, does color printing, copies and scans well enough for my purposes
    hp 4050TN (current... mmm networked laser ownage)

19. hprcrazyguy

hprcrazyguy Minimodder

Hehe, I had an old epson dot matrix, replaced with some weird canon bjc-210 which was black/color/or scanner if you had the cartridge :p then we got our hp deskjet 882c, that thing is/was nice. It seems to be slowing down lately. :( I also got 2 mac stylewriter 1200's, a stylewriter 2x00, and a imagewriter 2 to go with the crappy mac 6100/66 and mac se i gots, hehe, got to love free. I want to get a laser printer next and a photo quality printer, that new hp 5500 series with up to 4800 dpi looks sweet. :D