1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Old card / new card advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adamg64, 19 Jul 2010.

1. adamg64

adamg64 What's a Dremel?

Hey people, would really appreciate some advice please.

I'm no longer a hardcore gamer any more and since then I'm not really up to scratch on gaming hardware either I'm having GFX card stability issues.

I've been running the leadtek 9800GX2 card for 2/3 years I think now which has become faulty basically as it's two cores on one card it seems one of the cores is faulty and causing serious system stability issues, leadtek is japanese/chinese spoke to them it was just in warranty had to send it to czech republic for repairs which was not cheap. Few days later got it back working fine, now 3 months later same fault :(

I'm still waiting for their reply regarding their next repair but I'm worried get it repaired again and 2 months later faulty again. Is it ok for them to just repair every time or should they be replacing it?

I'm thinking of getting another card anyways and then hopefully keep the 9800gx2 as a spare if it gets repaired :/

However, I'm on a tight budget what you guys think for a card on a budget of 100 quid?

I was looking if I ebay it could get lucky and land 2 x9800gt?? or do you recommend something different?

Thanks for you time Adam.

2. danielleil

danielleil Can't stop spending...

3. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

ATI 4890 or NVIDIA 285 if you see one - anything else a step downmy ad vice 460 and break the budget

4. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

Check out the faulty listings for a 9800gx2; you may be able to get more money than you think.

The two 9800gt's may be a step down due to having less shaders. They should be quite cheap now though.

5. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

6. rollo

rollo Modder

9800gx2 is a good card

To even get same performance your looking at the second hand Market

Is buy a 4890 or 270 280 second hand

There's no point getting the 5750 or 5770 as they are both pretty crap value at the min

5770 is still above £120 when you can get a much faster 460 for £146 on scan you see why.