1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding old computer junk in my comp?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by KidModder, 22 Dec 2004.

1. KidModder

KidModder What's a Dremel?

I was looking around and i found some of old computer and just plain old junk.
    -Motion Detector Cam.
    -Old Phone (No case though)
    -Parts of a old Alarm Clock.
    I also need help in how to use christmas lights as cheap lights for my case.
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

u wanna put the phone in ure comp?

for x-mas lights i think u need a transformer since they run off more than 12v dont they?

3. instant rice

instant rice What's a Dremel?

I think the xmas lights need an inverter. The problem with them though is that they generate some decent heat.

4. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Here is some advice: go get yourself a Dual CCFL set, and a 56k modem card, and trash the x-mas lights and dismantled phone :hehe:.

As far as the motion detector cam goes, it depends on what you want to do. You could mount it outside your house/room/office, and use it as a security thing. You could use the servos inside automate your pc side panel or such. It just depends on what you are going for.

5. KidModder

I was thinking about taking apart the secerity cam and using the motion detector to make the xmas lights turn on when you walk past them.

6. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Nah howabout a moving panel? Like when you sit down in front of your (hidden) pc, the covers are removed and your PC appears, Thunderbirds style :D

7. KidModder

that is a cool thing but a have a budget of 6 bucks. I was thinking of getting a cheap wire sleeving kit.

8. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Nice idea, or you could set up a security system! - The motion detector to detect intruders. If intruders are detected, this then activates the christmas lights as security lights, then the alarm goes off in the alarm clock, and the system sends a message to you using the old mobile phone.

A security system with all that junk :eyebrow:

:hehe:

I think your idea would work anyway, somehow.

9. KidModder

that is another good idea but it would probobly take forever. I am still painting my case. I havvve to still do the second coat of paint so it would be done by about january maybe febuary.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2004
  10. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

On most mobos you have a keyboard lock. Connect the two pins and the kb/mouse are rendered useless. If you hook up the motion sensor to a relay (they cost about $2) you can lock down your pc so no-one can get to it when you're away or at a LAN when you've gone to get a drink. Cheap, relatively easy, and pretty neat :)

Come to think of it, I need a keyloack on my new PC :D

11. KidModder

that is a good idea. But i am looking for a cheap wire sleeving kit.

12. BobbyMParr

BobbyMParr GameDemon

christmas light run on 120 volts normally "Edit: I think!"

13. rankie

rankie What's a Dremel?

I thought christmas lights normaly run off of a transformer, all the lights i've had do anyway(indoor ones). my current lights run off of 24V AC drawn from a tranformer that plugs into mains(240V round here).

14. KidModder

I am Posting some picturess of how far I have gotten.Here is the guts of my computer. Plz dont say thats sa bad wiring job cus i am looking for a wire sleeving kit.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the front of my case. You cans see my drives and there bezels.
    [​IMG]
    Here is my keyboards and mouse. I lost some of my keys so thats that.
    [​IMG]
    Here is my mointor i painted to go with my case.
    [​IMG]
    I still need to get gaphics for the side but.... this is my project. The name of it is below.

15. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Well...uhm...I want to be as constructive as possible...by...saying...you may be better off sanding down everything and re-painting...It looks like you either used extremely heavy coats of spray paint or a standard house paint...I believe you used spray paint because there is lots of overspray on the case and monitor...and...erm...did you use a highlighter to color the keyboard keys?

:worried: :eeek: :eyebrow:

16. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Sorry, but I think thats a bad paint job that was rushed, I mean I can see different shades of yellow on the keyboard and some aren't even fully painted, it should be dyed not painted. And, bad colour scheme. Ditto Zephyr really, repaint with better colours, and make sure its complete because painting one part one day and painting another part 2 months later gives different shades of colour, which doesn't look good.

I guess thats another exciting challenge for you!

17. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Yeah, exactly. I'm trying to be kind here saying that you should really redo that...Trying my best to be gentle, still wearing the kid gloves :duh:

18. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

kids ...

arent those that small human-like creatures you smack if they misbehave ?

i would really advice on a repaint ... the screen is the worst of it all ...

19. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Ebuyer have a rearly cheap sleaving kit thats awsome cheak out my psu post to see results just look in modding tehn cables and connectors and its the blue molex kit... except it includes every connector in blue and a full sleaving kit and tools for under £3!!!!!!!!

20. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

doesnt look bad so far but i would defenetly sand down and repaint the case. the keyboard might like a touchup too. also im wondering about your moniter there, did you tape off really far around the screen and then paint? just wondering because thats what it looks like and if your puting something in the gap it would look good if not you really want to finish that part up. other than that, it looks like your on the right track! good luck!