1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Old pc upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gosh, 11 Nov 2020.

1. gosh

gosh Minimodder

Hey all. A friend recently gave me their aged PC to upcycle - has a core i7 2600 lga1155 CPU, GTX660 2gb and 16gb ram. I have a spare GTX 750TI i can pop in to improve graphics and i know (once upon a time) the CPU was very good so I'm curious if it's at a reasonable 1080/ps4 level with that or worth throwing in a newer graphics card to drag it closer to current standards ? Not looking to play at more than 1080 or with all bells & whistles but if above setup can work then great, if i can get it to have decent oomph with a sub-£100 GPU then greater.

kinda feel that spending on old tech to get a cheap GPU is a waste of money down the line so should i bother or just slap what I have in it and counsel a full rebuild in the next year when (presumably) things get more competitive ?

out of curiosity, is there also a good value, fairly future-proof graphics card for a bit more that could be stuck in it leaving just motherboard and processor to replace ?

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Not for that price range, it'd e worth just living with what you've got and putting that money towardss a better system when you do upgrade. Sub £100 is basically wasted money...

gosh likes this.
  3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Recently upgraded my brother's setup and he went from a 670 to a rx570 and that's been a decent boost, although also upgraded cpu, mem etc at the same time so can't tell how much is just due to the gpu, but that cost me £90 maybe?

No harm keeping an eye out for a bargain that you'll be able to sell on without losing much. Haven't checked recently but also upgraded the media pc to a 1060 6gb for £100 a couple of months ago which I felt was good value.

gosh likes this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah I was just about to say buy a 570 and then I saw George's reply :)

It's all about expectation. If you don't go in expecting miracles you could be pleasantly surprised. That CPU is starting to show its age now but it's by no means useless. It's got enough RAM too.

gosh likes this.