1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Old PC wont boot -> Long Beep

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by BlackWhizz, 26 Mar 2009.

1. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Got an old PC:
    - Abit ZM6
    - Celeron 366 mendocino
    - ATi 4MB video card
    - 256mb ram (2x 128)
    - 20gb HDD
    - 160gb HDD
    - 2x ODD

So, the thing worked before. But the thing didnt wanted to detect my 3com lan card. SO i replaced it with a realtek card from another PC. Now i got one pc which works fine and another which wont post.

When i push the power button the computer starts, HDD's are spinning up -> CPU fan is working -> 1 long beeeeeeeeep and so on.

Dont know whats wrong with it. I tought it was a RAM error so i reseated the old ram (and switched the banks).

Tried to fire it up -> same crap as before.

What am i doing wrong?

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Could be the motherboard going, it's a very old one.

Did you already try removing the Realtek card you added?

Did you try removing everything but the CPU and cooler from the mobo and booting like that? If it gives a RAM error beep, then add one stick of it, then it should give a video error beep, then add the video card. Then it should POST fine. If not, try all RAM sticks, one at a time. If still not, it's either a CPU or mobo error.

3. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Well, i swapped the ram again and removed the NIC, then it would boot. Then i tried the NIC in a different PCI slot and the whole thing booted :)

Im happy :D