1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Old Server Want to run Linux

Discussion in 'Software' started by Colt 45 J, 2 Aug 2008.

1. Colt 45 J

Colt 45 J Aye

I picked up a oooollldd, old server. Its dual Pentium Pro's (yea old told ya). I want to use it as a fileserver/small webserver for personal files etc. Anybody know of a good really low requirements Server Linux that will work with it? It uses Scuzzy so it needs to have compatability for that.. anyway, any ideas? I want a usable GUI nothing fancy, but not all command line either... Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Colt 45 J

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

If it's old, chances are enormous Linux will run on it... And don't worry about SCSI, it will work fine...

3. Colt 45 J

Colt 45 J Aye

Aye, that is what I figured, just need a good distro, that is what I was asking XD Anybody know of a good distro that will run on it?

4. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

Ubuntu Server (never used but i think it's all command line, most of the server-oriented distro's are.)
    But you can install Debian + LAMP or Ubuntu + LAMP (I would recommend the latter if you have no prior experience in Linux)

5. Colt 45 J

Colt 45 J Aye

eh keep in mind these are pentium pro processors, so its like 150-200Mhz (somewhere around there...)

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Yeah, and? My router was a 486 for ages... It ran Debian just fine (no GUI tough)

7. Colt 45 J

Colt 45 J Aye

Any chance you would help me through a basic debian install then Glider? XD I hear its a bitch to set up... Would downloading the xfce version allow me to have a light gui?

Last edited: 5 Aug 2008
  8. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

You mean xUbuntu, maybe?

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Debian is simple enough to set up just download the business card cd and follow the steps, i can't remember any real gotchas any more, if you get stuck most Ubuntu walkthourgh stuff works since Ubuntu is based on Debian. The only place you'll notice any real deviation is in guides which rely on gnome, which your machines as a snowballs chance of running.

I suspect xfce is also going to struggle. If you feel you need a gui, and i'm not sure what will run properly or with any real speed, your best with one of the super light wm (window managers) like Fluxbox.

Actually your best of with Fluxbox on any thing buts that's a different flame war.

10. Colt 45 J

Colt 45 J Aye

I mean Debian p3ri0d, and I am a bit confused with the whole setup thing, it says that the basic cd won't work if you have a network card (which being a server, it does) and not onboard because it can't download packages or something of that sort... so what disk do I download (obviously disk 1, but what other one?). And Steveo I don't really need any real GUI, just would like one, as I have never worked with linux besides messing with Knoppix to fix a few pc's.

Edit: just so it's clear, I am not saying I will only go with Debian, that is just what seems to be suggested and looks that it will perhaps work so far, still open for any other suggestions.

11. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

All you need is disk 1. The other disks (2-9 or however many there are) just contain additional packages, the most popular packages being on the earlier disks. Hence why disk 1 is all you need to do a standard installation, as it contains all the good stuff (X, Gnome, that kind of thing).
    The normal (full size, 650mb) Debian disk 1 will have loads of kernel modules (drivers) so should work fine with most if not all wired network cards, on-board or otherwise, especially on older hardware.
    I've done small XFCE installs using this approach:
    a) Install base system only (i.e. no 'desktop environment').
    b) su to root ($ su) as sudo is not installed at this point
    c) Install XFCE+deps:
    # apt-get install xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-video-all xfonts-base gdm xfce4 xfwm4 xfdesktop4 xfce4-terminal xfce4-mcs-plugins update-manager
    d) Optionally there is a load of XFCE/useful gnome goodies you can install: xfce4-utils xfce4-goodies gnome-system-tools gnome-system-monitor xfce4-mixer xfce4-*-plugin (panel plugins, there are lots)

12. Glider

Glider /dev/null

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=129569

13. Colt 45 J

Colt 45 J Aye

I shall trust that that will be what I need, thanks guys. Downloading Debian now =D.

14. Glider

Glider /dev/null

The server that hosts the screenshots is down at the moment, but that *should* be fixed tomorrow when I find the time.

15. koola

koola Minimodder

I've just setup a small headless Debian file server for hosting local content and it works great on a P3 600MHz. It's much better headless and a lot lot quicker than with a clunky GUI, so avoid it.

The only tricky part is remembering all though VI commands.

16. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

If vi gives you problems you can use nano, it's more of a "wordpad" editor than vi.

17. Glider

Glider /dev/null

It's allowed to cheat at the VIm exam ;)

18. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

damm thats a pretty good cheatsheat, a lot better set out then the one i have

19. koola

koola Minimodder

I've never liked nano, I know it's easier to use but VI does just fine.

That's a very good pdf, cheers ;)

20. JamesCreese

JamesCreese What's a Dremel?

We use CentOS on all our servers at work (and that's a fair few servers) - it's flawless, I'd recommend it. Very easy to use.

Tags: