1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Skool Silence....Finished, 100% Complete, Pics are up!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ATi Loyalist, 13 Mar 2004.

1. ATi Loyalist

ATi Loyalist Who throws a shoe?!

ok, so i havent been around in a while, but thats because ive been fiddling around with this old compaq prosignia 300 server, specs were a P1 66mhz, 64mb of ram (a ton back then) 2 scsi HDs, not sure of the size, and a scsi cd rom. i gutted it, cleaned it, and im brainstorming now, but i would like some feed back on my ideas so far. the PSU will be a seasonic super tornado, with a 120 in the bottom, but the PSU will be mounted vertically, in the 5.25 drive cage. the CD rom will be mounted in the floppy bay, AFTER i expand it, and drill some new holes. the floppy cage will be converted into a HD rack that will be mounted in a plastic enclosure of some sort, lined with sound material, to isolate the fan, but still bring in around 60cfm. there will be a rear mounted 120 as well, but im not sure if i should put a 92 possibly, because of airflow. another idea i had was to make the case have negative pressure, and seal all the holes, so air would be forced to go in thru a filter. its an AT case, so the back panel will have to be resdesigned, and it only has 5 PCI openings, so i will have to get a PCI cage thing from another case, or make one with 7 slots, or just move the current one up, since i wont use the bottom 2 PCI slots anyways. as for the front panel, ehhh...bondo. i would like to come up with somethign uniqe though, just have to wait and see i guess.

the main goal of this PC is to be silent, old skool, and 100% kick ass.

feedback on these ideas is appreciated, and more to come this week and next, i should be starting actual work soon.

btw, the paint will be a midnight purple type look.

http://members.cox.net/monkey46/com_1.htm

anyways, a small update, got the 2 120mm enermaxes for the front and rear intakes:

[​IMG]

heres some pics of the midnight purple finish, and please not that the silver specks are under a layer of translucent purple, and the effect is rather nice in real life, these pics are horrible compared to the finish as you see it normally...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

update: friday march 5, 2004, finished the hole in the front for the 120, the grill will not stay, its just there to hold the fan in place(screw holes are a smidge too big :x

[​IMG]

Small update: went to ace hardware, picked up some screws, but im having a hell of a time, because the cd rom and the mobo interfere with each other by about 1/2" which i will have to make up by extending the rear panel out slightly, and fudging the cd drive out a bit, i have some headroom to work with, but they will be pretty tight once everything is in there.... :(

i will use the backpanel from an old HP pavillion for the I/O shield and PCI covers, and one thing about this project, is that i am going for a case that will accomadate newer hardware when the time comes, so everything will be standard, but custom at the same time. if that makes any sense. a few brainstorms on intake ideas include some sort of honeycomb grill intake, depressed in the plastic, and bondo'ed so it blends smoothly, ideas for the cd drive include something with metal accent plates, similar to alonso bistro's case, (thanks man, you have inspired me), or something with an integrated cover, so it almost appears stelth, but since stealthed drives are overdone anyways, i might stray away from that. wiring will be completely integrated into the case, including molexes that pop out of nowhere, only where they are needed, and nowhere they are not. same goes for other connectors, i might even attempt to flip the ATX power connector over to the backside of the mobo, but thats pretty risky...and tedious, still unsure there.

as for the rear intake area, there will be a box or some sort with an integrated filter that can be easily removed, as well as some sort of noise dampening system for the rear intake, same goes for the front, the intake fan will be buried deep inside the system so as to produce as little noise as possible.

plans for the top include a window, with accent pieces, somewhat inspired my alonso bistro, but more of a real world example of my imagination for this project.

the paint will start out as black, with a silver gradient, starting at the front, then purple metalcast over all of it, i have already done some test pieces and the look is amazing.

pics:
    sorry, a little blurry, but this paint is hard to capture.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Jun 2004
  2. whiteagle

whiteagle What's a Dremel?

It looks like you are off to a good start. I like the paint, but the orange peel would make it look awful if it wasn't just a test piece. Here's some tips on how to get rid of it in the final product if you are using laquer. (basically if you are using rattle can automotive paint and it doesn't specifically say "enamel" on it, you are using laquer)

1. After primer has dried wet sand with 800 grit sandpaper until completely smooth. (Wait a week after shooting the primer for this step if you have the patience and want it to stay nice for a long time.)
    2. Shoot several coats of the color.
    3. You are in AZ and weather.com says it's about 65 for the highs out there this time of year, so after your last color coat wait about 30 minutes. Make sure you are using clear laquer. Then, shoot a thin layer of clear. When I say "thin" I mean just enough to cover it smoothly. The idea for this is that the base coat isn't fully dry. Pretty much all laquer is pigment, filler (acrylic), and laquer thinner. So what this does is the laquer thinner keeps the color coat from drying longer so it can smooth out better, but if you use too much clear on this first coat, or the last coat isn't dry enough yet, you will get runs and the clear and base will mix and the world will come crashing down around you. :waah: Ok, maybe not that last part, but you get the picture.
    4. Shoot at least 3 more normal coats of clear about 30 mins apart.
    5. After the last coat has had at least a couple of hours to dry. (Just like the primer, wait a week if you have the patience and want it to stay nice for a long time, but it shouldn't make that big of a difference.) Wet sand with 1500 grit till you get the orange peel look off. Just please don't go all the way through the clear or it will scratch the metallic base coat and make it look awful. Then switch to 2000 if you are really insane like me. Then finally switch to rubbing compound, I personally really like 3M brand. When you get done you will be able to use your computer as a mirror. :thumb:

Like I said, nice case. Hope this helps.

3. whiteagle

Also, one question, what exactly is the purple you are using?

4. TMM

TMM Modder

why did you cut the supports of the fan you painted purple? :eyebrow:

5. whiteagle

I think he just unsnapped the fan from the other part, so he could paint it easier.

6. ATi Loyalist

nah, that was just some random piece i had lying around from an old duct, but it was black so i used it to test the paint.

as for the orange peel, thats jsut the texture of the sample i used, not actual orange peel, i didnt put too much work into the sample, as i was only testing the color effect itself,

thanks for your comments, more to come today hopefully, i am looking to finish mounting the motherboard and possibly do some work on the 5.25 mounting area.

7. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

Looking good. I really like the paint job.

8. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

looking good ati :)

9. naelq

naelq What's a Dremel?

10. whiteagle

I.E. brand/type/where'd you get it from?

11. J453

J453 What's a Dremel?

cool, i really like the purple :thumb:

12. Go4t

Go4t i

whats the rest of the case look like/going to look like

EDIT: nm found it

13. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

purple..gugh

14. ATi Loyalist

paint is duplicolor metalcast anodized purple, good stuff im telling ya. :rock:

15. ATi Loyalist

still working, busy with school now unfortunately. but it comes before modding.

small update: March 15, 2004

this is a view looking down the back of the case, the back IO slot, and PCI slots were from an old HP case i had to chop up, lots of jigsaw work, fun!
    [​IMG]

heres a closeup of the JB welded areas, along with part of the fan cover, where the rear 120mm intake will be mounted.
    [​IMG]

random image of ideas for the grill area around the PSU:
    [​IMG]

pic of t3h meh: OOO RARE! just so you recognize me at summer PDX!!

[​IMG]

k thats all. more to come later this week, hopefully i will have the back plate bondo-d and sanded, and the fan mounted. thanks for your comments so far.

16. TMM

TMM Modder

ahh thats why
    :p

Nice job with the PCI slots on the back, i had to look twice i thought it was a differnt case LOL.

17. ATi Loyalist

ok, so i had a brainstorm today, and for the PSU, instead of making it an exhaust, i think i will mount some sort of vents in the front panel, since the PSU will hang vertically in the CD rack, the vents will be where normal CD drives would go, but heres the catch: this wil create a seperate ventilation system for the PSU only, dropping the temps 10-15C, possibly more, because the air isnt preheated like in a normal system, this will also solve the issue of pressure inside the case, as there will only be one 120 intake, and 1 120 exhaust, i figure i will rig up some sort of hood for over the rear fan, that will be insulated with lots of foam, and force noise down towards the floor, instead of just out, which should reduce noise from the rear fan even more.

stay tuned. and thanks for your comments.

18. ATi Loyalist

Ok, another small, but integral update:

Mounted the fan, and finished the back plate etc, just need some bondo to make everything flow together here, then paint.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

20. ATi Loyalist

gee, thanks TekMonkey :grr:

Ok, March 21, got some more work done today, mounted the HD in the enclosure, that will stop vibration and noise, and still keep the hard drive cool, which is one problem with sandwiching the HD in foam, is the temps increase greatly. this method will allow efficient cooling of the HD, and still eliminate noise and vibration generated by it, it looks a litle ghetto, but it is extremely functional. and with some foam padding inside this little box, the benefit will be huge.

Also, i cant take credit for the idea, i must give credit to Bluefront over at SilentPCReview for this wonderful idea, and i have simply modified his brainstorm to suit this project.

Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a diagram of what the airflow will look like, i am planning on using the 120 intake for double duty, both cooling the HD, and the video card thru passive cooling on the high profile barton 2500 heatsink on the video card, the air will then go around the card, and up to the CPU, the PSU will feature a seperate "air channel" if you will, with a grill in the front, a filter, and the large 120 mm fan on the PSU i will be using, the air will flow easily out of the top of the PSU, since it will be mounted vertically.
    [​IMG]

Thanks again for your comments, i hope to have pics in a few more days of the bondo work on the front panel.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2004