1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Skool Silence....Finished, 100% Complete, Pics are up!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ATi Loyalist, 13 Mar 2004.

1. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

good job so far!

2. ATi Loyalist

ATi Loyalist Who throws a shoe?!

Massive update, got a considerable amount of work done over the last 2 weeks, since i have been out of school, i have plenty of time to work, and there is plenty of work to do, 3 weeks till PDX...im sweating a little bit now...

Pics:

Starting off, the 120mm top exhaust, mounted over the CPU, to remove excess heat buildup, in preliminary testing, with the cover on, the fan lowered CPU temps by about 4-5C, there was a ton of heat getting trapped in the top rear area of the case.
    [​IMG]

Fan was primed, sprayed with white high gloss enamel, then clearcoated 3 times, of course, sanded with 1000 grit paper in between coats.
    [​IMG]
    Of course, with purple LEDs w00t
    [​IMG]

Next 4 pics are of the custom fan adapter i whipped up the other day, the top piece is just clear acrylic, and the round part, was an ABS plastic drain adapter, with the ends cut off, then epoxied to the plexi mounting plate. of course, with the same white enamel+clearcoat treatment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, here is that damned accent piece(one of 4 or 5 probably...) that i finally finished this week, still a couple rough spots, that have been filed, since i took these pics..
    [​IMG]

Mmmm, sheet steel. picked it up at capitol metals, for $10. its huge, .26g, plain steel, it will be used for more accent plates, wahoo...(i think)
    [​IMG]

Ok, the duct(which will be painted white w/ clearcoat later) is from an old HP air intake manifold thingy, and it fits perfect, all it does is duct the cool air from the HD enclosure intake, up towards the video card, and it works damn well too.
    [​IMG]

Purple LEDs soldered on tails, to the starter kit(borrowed from the mobo cube)
    [​IMG]

Ok, heres the good part, i decided to test out the whole purple paint thing, painted the router with black high gloss enamel,
    [​IMG]

MMMM, thats high gloss!
    [​IMG]

Then the silver gradient:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And next, the purple clearcoat, to say the least it turned out amazing, but there were a few slight complications, im working on it now, but i will have pics of the finished paint once i do a little more work...so ill leave you on the edge of your seats until then. heh, cheers everyone :D :D :D

3. livelife46290

livelife46290 What's a Dremel?

Nice paint on the router! I just decided to mod mine right into my computer, looks nice and clean, mines wireless, nice 2 antennas sticking out of my computer which i modded some white leds onto, looks nice and factory

4. robotguy9000

robotguy9000 What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

omfg that gets the Ghetto Stamp of Approval...

wow thats even more ghetto than the box pc... :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

EDIT- lol oops i was refering to the hdd cooler on page 1

5. Bradish

Bradish What's a Dremel?

(lol hey robotguy :hehe: )

anyway... way to rock the oldschool dude :rock: old school pc modding is where its at lol, and i say that mostly because thats what my current project is :thumb: you can check out my 'Old School Modding" if you want, to get any ideas or just for fun...
    http://www.xoxideforums.com/showthread.php?t=20256

Good luck and Happy Modding!
    -Bradish

6. toss

toss What's a Dremel?

Thats looking quite nice dude cant wait to see the finished product

7. robotguy9000

robotguy9000 What's a Dremel?

hey bradish... that link doesnt work... LOL maybe its because i got BANNED!!!! :D

i remember someone put a comp in an OLD compaq laptop, the luggage-sized kind

8. richman

richman What's a Dremel?

good job *subscribed*

Richman

9. BadKarma

BadKarma What's a Dremel?

Sweet paint job... i might have to paint my netgear :D i still have paint left over from my xbox mod

10. ATi Loyalist

Thanks for your comments everyone!

Sub update, disaster strikes...finished the purple paint, had some slight problems though, hopefully someone can help me out. Anyways, like i always do, i let the purple clearcoat dry for 3 full days, then i sanded with 1500, and sprayed it with regular clearcoat, just to make it nice and glossy, but i got some massive peeling, in the area where the screened linksys logo was, here is a pic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

keep in mind this has never happend before, just in this one isloated location... the rest came out perfect

[​IMG]

Here is a shot, where the paint comes off as a midnight purple:
    [​IMG]

Overall shot:
    [​IMG]

High gloss:
    [​IMG]

Two more money shots of the metallic gradient in action:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Xgamer

Xgamer What's a Dremel?

Maybe you can use a sticker or decal to hide the peeling. :idea:

12. Jang

Jang What's a Dremel?

Although it would be a pain in the bum, it peeled because it didn't stick.. ok that sounded stupid.. :wallbash:

Anyway, take back the paint there, like a 1cm cubbed bit and take it right right right back.. then maybe a quick bit of primper first?

Again, pain in the arse, but better then putting a sticker there imo.

13. ATi Loyalist

6-24 Teaser

[​IMG]

done.

14. Mondak

Mondak What's a Dremel?

Holy s***!!!!!!!!! I cannot wait to see the rest. You have been doing a killer job, but I did not expect it to come out THIS nice. Wow!

15. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

Need. More. Pics!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

16. ATi Loyalist

the accent pieces are at the powder coater, i will post all the finished pics monday or tuesday when i get them back. thanks for your comments :D

17. agent orange

agent orange What's a Dremel?

I'm liking the purple/silver on the front.. nice.

18. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

damn what a amazing colour!! The heatsinks on yr gfx card :eek: !!! lol:)

Shame bout those drips:(

19. Mailman

Mailman What's a Dremel?

(jippie 1st post)
    looks nice, when i saw the pictures of front/without the front i recognized that it was a compaq without reading the text :) the compaq case im working on looks a little bit like it but bigger i think :) (it was born in may '94)

20. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

WOW!
    love the colours!! and the shine :jawdrop:

btw its cruel to give teasers, now I find myself checking bt forums even more often!! :p