1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OLED keyboard

Discussion in 'General' started by zerokool04, 14 Jul 2005.

1. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

You guys are right, oleds will die out in a couple of years...we need pleds. :D

2. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

3. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

$300USD :waah: I can't justify that on a keyboard no matter how good it is.

It was good while it lasted. :sigh: I guess in 10 years time when this type of thing becomes common I might be able to get one.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You and everyone else. In fact Apricot Computers already had something similar (tiny LCD screens on the Function keys) back in the 90's.

Anyway, find the English version of the above pages here: http://www.artlebedev.com/

All I can say is: NEEEEEED!!! $300,-- or not, I'm having one --if it ever comes out... :)

Last edited: 17 Jul 2005
  5. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

Id hit it.... :p (with my fingers)

6. obzelite

obzelite What's a Dremel?

Well we could hope the M$ is trying to buy Apricots intellectual property right now to get there own kb out there and fight of any legal challenges. :naughty:

7. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

I wonder how long it will take after these come out for someone to write some type of Adware that will display on the keyboard......

And you thought that pop-ups were bad....

We could call them Key-Ads, or KADS for short....as in STUPID KADS MESSING WITH MY KEYBOARD!!!

8. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I must admit, if I started accepting clients again for graphic design and animation, one of these keyboards would probably impress the hell out of them while giving demonstrations, and you'd be surprised how much your surroundings impact the client's opinion of you and how much you are worth spending $$ on.

9. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

i just got an idea. what about just getting a 15" touch monitor and lay it flat on the desk. then use the onscreen keyboard with a nice skin ;)

mabye make some custom software so yoy could have the letters at the bottom, and the numpad and some custom keys at the top of the screen. that way you can alter keysize and layout at will... :D

10. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

It would be good for demos or a kiosk, but typing on a touchscreen all day would suck very much and be bad for repetitive motion injury

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

mabye.. but it would look cool ;)

12. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

And, according to my dad, there was a computer around 25 years ago that had small LCDs on three of the keys. At this time, my dad (along with half of the population it would seem) had the idea of having a full keyboard built in this way. It's by no means origional. Still bloody cool though!

_C

13. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

hmm... wouldn't LCDs be cheaper than OLED displays? it would still need backlight, but that could be done by one large EL sheet or mabye with the same method as normal monitors. just put on a black overlay to stop the light from escaping behind the keys.

14. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I thought OLEDs were cheaper than LCDs?

<A88>

15. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

yea that'd be great, your fingers would have a fantastic view of shattering letters :p

16. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

Only problem then (I think) is that you have to have the controller for the LCD very close to the actual screen. At least OLEDs (don't quote me on this) run in the same way as normal LEDs, so they don't need to have very short cable runs to cut down on interference.

Also, LCDs are slower at refreshing than OLEDs, plus, as you said, you need a backlight, which would be difficult with all the cables running from the screens. You would need a seperate backlight on each key.

_C

17. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

true, but you know it happends.. that should be enough ;)

18. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

Could you build a keyboard with LEDs behind the keys? I know you wouldn't be able to get near the resolution as OLEDs, but I've seen some really small LEDs that might work for this.

19. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

well. OLEDs is pretty much LEDs aranged in a grid.

20. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

You have to be joined at least before 2003 to use the bit-tech Neeee(^n)d thing! Repent or be dealt with :p

Very cool stuff, I've already said a lot about the coolness of this on many other message boards, so I'll just simply say cool and be done with it :p

With that having been said:

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed :D