1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympus Evolt E-510

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by cderalow, 31 Jul 2007.

1. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

Decent camera for first time DSLR user/owner?

Anyone have one?

Can anyone confirm it actually has a live viewfinder similar to most point & shoot digitals?

2. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

Capable camera, apparently does have a live viewfinder, which is what the whole Evolt hoo-ha has been all about.

3. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

i went and played with one in a camera shop this afternoon... you have to press & hold to use the live view.... but big whoop... makes it about 500x easier to use than the stupid little viewfinder

4. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Take a look our our sister site, TrustedReviews - Cliff reviewed the E510 last week

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

TBH, if you don't want to look through the viewfinder for most of your shots, you're probably not going to get much out of a DSLR vs a high-res point and shoot. It may not be the case with you, but I can promise that you won't get shots as nice by using a live preview LCD instead of the viewfinder on the sole basis that the camera won't be held nearly as steady. Plus, by the sounds of it, it's got a tiny little sensor in it (relative to other DSLRs anyways) so your image quality won't be as nice.

At the end of the day it's your call, but I think that few people will reap the benefits of a DSLR if they're reluctant to go near a viewfinder.

6. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Active Member

Having just got a DSLR myself, I agree fully with this.

7. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

I have trouble looking through the typical viewfinder, as such, the live LCD is more for setting the picture up than anything else.

I did end up buying one... haven't played around with it yet, but the weight is nice.

Also, I all ready have a high res point & shoot, which is fine for day to day, but I wanted something that would work for semi-posed/setup shots.

8. Firehed

What kind of issue do you have with looking through the viewfinder? Don't take this the wrong way, but the only trouble I've heard of with a viewfinder is laziness. It's certainly different than the live view screens - depends on what you're used to I guess. I always found the screens to be unnatural since I grew up with a film SLR. The screens have their place, but my experience has always been that they're only good for taking decent pictures, not good photos.

9. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

I have trouble focusing when using a view finder or for that matter any object that adjusts the focal length of my view (telescope, binoculars etc)... gives me dizziness & nausea...

basically i'm using the screen to setup my shot, and looking through view finder for a second or so to confirm, then taking picture

10. Firehed

Fair enough - I thought you were just avoiding it out of principle more than anything. It still won't be quite the same, seeing that the live view won't give you nearly as good of an idea of your depth of field and all that, but you've gotta do what works.

Show us some shots once you've got the thing figured out :)

11. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

By no means tiny. Yes it is smaller than a full frame sensor, but there aren't ANY cameras in this range that have full frame sensors. The 4/3 sensor is slightly smaller than an aps c, but then at least the oly lenses were designed from the ground up for digital, and matched to the sensor size.

Each brand has + and -. For the most part, they all even out, and comes back to getting what you pay for, though a LOT of people have been raving the e510.

8-ball

12. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

13. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave New Member

The main advantage of full frame over APS-C is viewfinder size, so I doubt the size of the 4/3 sensor would affect the quality much. It would probably have a more straining viewfinder though. If it's a true live view, wouldn't it show 100% of the view, rather than the usual 95%ish of a viewfinder?