1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Omega Desk - [26 January] Project Complete!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Squigly, 20 May 2012.

?

Pump orientation, facing forward or facing backwards?

1. Pumps facing backward

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. Pumps facing forward

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

20 July Update

Right, was off diaper duty today and managed to get into the workshop :rock:

Did a little more work to the screen mount base, added some grub screws to hold the pipe in place.. Still waiting on the pipe to be delivered. Also going to try anodize this myself :thumb: always wanted to try.. This shot also illustrates how it all fits together a little better.
    [​IMG]

Then decided it was time to clean up the front and back panels, there was still the overhang to clean off since i didn't have these parts laser cut.
    [​IMG]

Got it nice and clean..
    [​IMG]

After a few hours... both front and back panels were all done :rock:
    [​IMG]

I also started labeling the inside of the panels. as some are fairly similar and i will loose track of inside, top and placement of some panels once they go for powder coating. So side with label is of course the inside, this shows the top of Mobo Inside leg part..
    [​IMG]

Then finally got working on the central portions, got them cut and bent but not mounted just yet..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have been granted yet another reprieve from diaper duty for tomorrow so will be heading into the workshop to get some more work done :rock:

Thanks again for checkin in!!

Last edited: 20 Jul 2012
  2. weed2all

weed2all modder

Congratulations!

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

just passed out from joy!

Wish I could have this desk! However are you going to dynamat the desk to cut down on resonance. I imagine it'll hum and rattle like a b*tch

4. Squigly

Day 2 of diaper freedom :)

Thanks weed2all :)

Thanks Burnout21, I dont think im gonna get much hum from it, i have been pretty sure to make sure all panels secure nicely.. infact i did a check today, i have used a total of 178 bolts :lol: so yea its pretty secure.. although i like the idea and will maybe use some where i secure the radiator (fans) and pumps as they will be the only moving parts.

Ok so got the workshop this morning and decided I needed to get the front panel done. I was cutting this with the jigsaw so took my time as this was a panel i really didnt want to have to re-do.. its a big piece..

So set up a small jig to guide the straight line cut
    [​IMG]

Slowly slowly wins the race..
    [​IMG]

Then got to the first radius.. and time for some freestyle cutting, took my time here!
    [​IMG]

It came out great so started freestyle cutting the rest, decided to start cutting the insert out to reduce weight so it didn't warp the panel.
    [​IMG]

I may have been a little over careful cos it took forever.. but hey, rather safe.. and the final result i was REALLY happy with, all the lines are nice and clean and some simple sanding will finish it up
    [​IMG]

So now that the front panel was done.. it was time to clean up the plexi..
    [​IMG]

I really enjoyed this bit.. the belt sander ate through the plexi really easily and left a nice clean finish, a few test fits little bit more sanding and MONEY BABY!!
    [​IMG]

Fits in nice and snug, I was going to peal off the protective layers for some photo's but decided there is still a ways to go so left them, sorry peeps, but soon enough.
    So laid it on its site to show the front panel..
    [​IMG]

Was really happy with it! so bolted it up
    [​IMG]

So that was about it for today but was happy with the progress..

Still to do: (list is getting nice and small)
    Mount central panels X2
    Remove mobo tray
    Re-cut mobo tray for new mobo
    Mount hinges
    Mount glass
    Cut holes in rear panel for water cooling features.

AND THATS IT!!! :rock:

After that its to get it ready for powder coating and i can start installation of components!!

Thanks all for followin!!

Last edited: 21 Jul 2012
  5. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Can you feel the aluminum between your teeth already? :D

6. Squigly

Dude.. between my teeth, in my ears and hair.. hell I even have it in my shoes :lol:

7. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Nice progress man :D

8. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Awesome truly epic build !! :D:dremel:

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

so finished by this afternoon then? lol!

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The window looks great, absolutely spot on. You dropped the idea of a plexi centerpiece in the base?

11. Squigly

Thanks bud :rock:

Thanks bluc glad you likes it :thumb:

Easy now :p back to Saturdays only so a few more weekends.. whats that they say.. all good things huh... pity im the type of guy that thinks instant gratification takes to long :lol:

Thanks mate, well not completely dropped, im thinking of using both ali and plexi, but the plexi for designs that will be lit up over the ali :thumb::rock:

12. wolffie02

wolffie02 What's a Dremel?

Looking great

Hey Squigs

dude this is epic
    congrats and looking absolutely amazing.:jawdrop:

13. Squigly

Design Update

Going to be heading into the workshop again tomorrow but needed to finalise the screen case design :rock: most of the desk construction is nearing completion so need to get this done so i can send the whole lot off for powder coating.

Have measured all monitors out and so they should all fit within the casing design.. really looking forward to loosing all the plastic trim from the monitors, bezel for each screen will be 10mm all round..

To give you an idea of the build concept I have mocked it up in sketchup. Will hopefully get at least one screen case completed this weekend.

[​IMG]

14. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Nice job on the perfect Jigsaw'ing :thumb: Can't wait to see this finished, will be awesome :)

15. Squigly

28 July update

Thanks bud, much appreciated

It took me forever to do but taking my time paid off big!!

Ok so I was all go this morning when i left for the workshop.. alas the lack of sleep over the past bit has caught up to me so really didn't get anywhere near where I wanted to be today.. but.. progress is progress none the less.

Before getting stuck into the screens I thought i would take care of the Mobo Tray.. in my sleep walking state this morning i left the scroll saw at home so thought if i get the main panel cut i can work on the rest at home during the week..

This is the original tray..
    [​IMG]

I made up the tray first before cutting into the old one
    [​IMG]

Again took my time with cutting the original as i didn't want to mess it up.. alas being half asleep i did a little... the cuts are nice and straight.. but in the bottom right i was supposed to cut a step into the original.. i cut to straight :wallbash:
    [​IMG]

It will be an easy fix so wasn't to upset.. So then onto the screens, I decided to quickly get the stand pipe cap finished up
    [​IMG]

As well as the mounting plate for the stand base.
    [​IMG]

Then measured and cut the screen besel aluminium profile, its 10x20mm profile
    [​IMG]

And another..
    [​IMG]

And threes the charm!
    [​IMG]

Then onto the alu welding.. let me tell you not the best thing to try when very tired... you need to heat the aluminium to 380 degrees to melt the rod.. and my hands are now covered in blisters as i kept grabbing the piece..:blush:

Anyways this is the before.
    [​IMG]

And the after..
    [​IMG]

The still need to be filed down.. Apart from that i cut the back-plate for the screen out but still need to cut the center out of that with the scroll saw.. will have some updates on that during the week and hopefully a completed screen case sometime this week..

Thanks again for checking in, If you feel it worth it don't forget to vote in MOTM

Waynio likes this.
  16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Solid excellent progress all around & nice. :)

17. SaltyNuttz

SaltyNuttz What's a Dremel?

I will send you my address for delivery soon ;)

18. Squigly

Thanks bud ;-) :thumb:

lols, isnt it in the mail already :duh:??

Right well headed into the workshop with the intention of getting the screen cases at least partially complete.. it was just not meant to be.. I spent most of the morning cleaning up the frames and making sure the weld was strong enough.. I took in one of my monitors to test with and get the rest of the case done.. all I succeeded in doing was popping the welds on all 3 frames... Me thinks i will have to re-think the screen case design.. perhaps a solid sheet that is bent instead of the alu profile... dunno, will play with some idea's this week..

So after all of that disappointment I decided to put the screen down.. before i broke the dang thing.. and try get some more done on the desk..

First things first i needed to fix the area i had cut on the new mobo tray, so welded on a piece of scrap
    [​IMG]

Got it cleaned off and cut it down to size
    [​IMG]

After a few test fits and some more filing it was fitting like a charm
    [​IMG]

Time to get cracking on the center pieces, got the leg spacer mounted and welded in the corners after bending the top section down
    [​IMG]

Then started on the back center piece, to remove any sag as well as provide a mounting point for the back plate i made up a support strut
    [​IMG]

tested fitment and all was good, so mounted the base plate
    [​IMG]

Still need to add 1 more mount to the center of the back plate
    [​IMG]

After that I finished off the mounting of the plates, i have a few more little things to clean up but the main construction of the desk is at 95% complete :rock::rock: I will still need to work on a few mounting issues with mobo, radiator (well most of the water loop) but will do that once i have ordered some new parts.. I have some of the items arriving soon so will hopefully have them by next week so i can start with the component mounting :thumb::rock:

thanks for checkin in
    Squigs out

19. AciD_RaiN

AciD_RaiN What's a Dremel?

L3p what... Just kidding but this is pure awesomeness mate. Can't wait to see the end result :D

Mod on :rock:

20. Bogfrog1974

Bogfrog1974 What's a Dremel?

Good going Squigly - looks like it is going to be really awesome.....