1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding OMG look at these handles!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bboy_Jon, 10 Mar 2005.

1. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

Just put an order in with mnpctech, thanks for the sourcing reminder Bboy-Jon!

2. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

lol i never ordered any handles from u

my handles i got from HD

3. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

^ lol, thats cool :D

4. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

I frequently order from All Electronics, and something you I-like-to-spend-a-****-load-on-overpriced-parts-that-make-me-feel-special should realize is that All Electronics is a surplus store. Whatever they get in they'll sell. They even have aluminum water bottles on there. Why? 'Cause someone dumped them off and they're selling them. Yes, there is always a risk. Sometimes you get crap, sometimes you can't believe what you just got for the price.

I'll put it simply: A lot of modding equipment, a lot of power supplies, a lot of cases, a lot of everything you buy everyday, there are probably equivelants that are about exactly the same for a fraction of the cost. Especially in this industry, companies know they can jack up prices and with some clever marketing plenty of people will buy it and think they are getting something of better quality. Perhaps it is good quality, but the price is outrageous. I own two handles from All Electronics, and at $3.50 they are a steal. No, they're not designed for flashy modders that want everything exact down to the millimeter to satisfy their OCD. Both of mine looked great. The flip up part wasn't precisely made, but it can easily hold a few hundred pounds. They're made of a very thick sheet metal and riveted together with some...huge rivets. I have two very heavy steel cases with nice heavy power supplies that these hold up fine. I only use one in the middle so I can carry it like a briefcase, because using two hands is stupid in my opinion. I used two hands before the handles, I want to use one with a handle! ;) I also made a blowhole cutout that I filled with some black speaker grille for my server, even though I never made a fan adapter for it. For a quick job it looked pretty slick.

Mnpctech's handles are great, and you can get them chromed or powdercoated, which is the kind of thing mnpctech does that seperates it from other retailers that normally outright just rip you off. I'll agree that sometimes you do "get what you pay for" but often you don't. I can't tell you how many times I've seen modding stores selling Sunbeam CCFLs for like $20 for a single kit, only to find them at SVC for $6, a dual no less.

Perfect example of when "you get what you pay for" doesn't hold true. Bose. Bose makes decent audio equipment and sells it for 3-4 times the price of what competators sell their superior equipment for. Because of their fantastic marketing and slogans like "Better sound through research" they've managed to get most people to think the end all of high-fi is Bose. Bose, KISS, Apple, doesn't matter if the products are good or not, they're successful because they can market themselves.