1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks omg please help bro take all bandwidth :@

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by waitandbleed, 13 Jun 2005.

1. waitandbleed

waitandbleed What's a Dremel?

Ok we have 3 computers through out our house 2 mine and one my bros. I have Windows Xp Home Ed. on all of the computers (my bros included). I want to be able to shut off his internet when he reaches a certain bandwidth limit. I know this feature is in Windows Xp Prof Ed. but, I rather not pay $150 bucks. Also I would like to be able to see what hes doing from my computer like remote desktop but for Windows. I would like to be able to do this cause when ever I come into his room he immediatly shuts down everything hes doing. I think he is either A) Looking at pr0n :hehe: :eeek: or B) downloading useless stuff like planes for flight simulator or bowling GAMES. Like whole games! It makes me lagg during Counter-strike and it gets my parents mad at me because they think I use all the bandwidth. All we have a month is 10gb and that isnt no where near enough for 3 computers also my mom sometimes likes to use my laptop. If someone could help me out that be nice! Also I tried searching google "remote desktop for windows" and got nothing and also "bandwidth limiter" and didnt get exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

2. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

search for a program called netlimiter. i use it to limit my torrent downloading :) while i play cs and i dont lag too much. btw, i got a 3GB cap :( 10gb doesnt sound too bad. NTL sucks

3. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

Limiting his bandwidth might be tricky do you connect through a router? You can use programs like net limiter however you’d have to try an install that on your brothers system who might turn it off.

The Monitoring stuff is easier though, RealVNC is an excellent program that allows full control over the remote computer or you can just simply watch what your brother is doing.

4. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

I agree witht he suggestion of RealVNC it is a very good program, you can also set it up so you have mouse control or keyboard or both or none.

5. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

you could set up static IP address and block all ports exept 80(HTTP) for his address. It is real easy to do on a Linksys home router. This will only allow him to surf the web and will not let him uses p2p. You may need to open ports for SMTP and POP3 for mail and also if he uses a IM client. The linksys router i have lets you great a log of what poerts are being use for each IP address. You could also use this log to find out what programs he using to use up your bandwidht

6. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

best option is a QoS capable router
    then you can reserve a percentage of bandwidth for http or whatever ports CS uses
    this means that whenever you need bandwidth for web or gaming the router gives it to you, and when you dont he gets full speed :)

7. waitandbleed

waitandbleed What's a Dremel?

Wow thanks for all the replys everyone! Im connga try them out! Thanks a bunch! Also to answer everyones question i do have a linkysys Router.

Tags: