1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Columns OMG! Smack-talk, n00b!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Jun 2007.

1. MrWizard6600

MrWizard6600 What's a Dremel?

rofl, I apparently have a user account on this forum, noice.

I know nothing about the console gaming community, but I would never have the guts too (even when the person I'm playing in nightfire is afraid to go outside for fear of a 9cm round to the face) get up and either dry hump someone’s face or dry hump the controller (unlike some people).

What I can tell you about is PC gaming, specifically Counter Strike (CS) PC gaming, and its kinda weird how it works. The higher up you go, from a first day of public server (pub), to a pubber with a 1.0 Kill/Death (K/D), to a small time ringer, to a team manager, the more intense the smack talking becomes. When your that pubber with a brand-spankin-new 1.00K/D ratio, if you die, you can easily jump into a conversation with someone about some other game, or anything else. I'm not saying it happens all the time, but it's not unheard of. When you and your four other buddies are in DE_Dust 2 (D2)(a CS map) in a Cyber athlete Amateur Leage: Open devision (CAL-O) match, if you even say hello to someone, they start smack talking.

Then, when you get high enough in that league, all of a sudden, it stops. When you reach Cyber athlete Amateur League (CAL) Premier or Invite divisions, you have players from one team congratulating players from another team for beating the snot out of them on the other team's forums. (and yes, they do have forums: www.zex.com When you go to the Cyber athlete Professional League (CPL), it's like everyone’s best buddies.

Kinda funny how it works.

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

At lower levels you don't care if you lose, you're crap anyway and you're hardly playing this for keeps.

At medium levels you're trying to prove something to the world, and you'll smack talk anyone who gets in your way.

At higher levels, you've already proven something to the world, everyone knows you're good, so there's no need to put everyone else down to make yourself appear/feel better.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

...And then you get as good as me.

4. pumpman

pumpman Minimodder

5. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

"I'm gonna make you all my bitches, John Romero-style!"
    Seriously no wonder they looked at you like you were a freak. John Romero style? Oh over-promised, late, unfinished and down right rubbish - so not actually at all?

remember that great disaster of gaming Daikatana used a line like that in it's advertising ffs. I'd lay off the smack talk until you get a clue about gaming as they must've been thinking 'Where did we dig this muppet up from?' as no way could you have been being ironic.

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

You just made me cry...

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Everyone please keep this thread going, I like the subject :D

I personnally hate trash talking nowadays. I play UT2k4 and you cannot complain about anything without being bashed on sight.

For example the other day i got into a server and noticed my mouse sensivity had, once again, changed for some reason. I got mad and just typed 'why the hell has my mouse sens changed again wtf?' . That was enough to be called a cry baby by at least 5 players as well as some other idiots who just told me to stfu and bla bla bla.

You now get bashed not because you bitched at someone, but because you bitched, period.

Someone would fire a rocket from across the map (randomly), kill me in mid air and I do NOT have the right to say lucky shot, or else i'll get flammmeeddd

8. identikit

identikit Minimodder

I'm a pretty big CS1.6 player on certain UK based servers. Just now I faced the nightmare:

2 Vs just me. The 2 were on Terrorist side and camping on CS_assault like no tomorrow. It was fairly even, I was doing okay considering they outnumbered me. Smack talking them was great. They 'deserved' it, the were constantly saying how they were better than me. Well yeah you'd expect 2 v 1 to wipe the floor on CS. End game, I get onto T next round. This time 4 v4. They have to settle for CT. I rush every round and dominate them, score 12-2 in a few minutes before they left.

I use smack like a weapon. I will annoy you to a point were you want to kill me in real life. I won't have a go at you if you're doing nothing wrong, but if you're a noob I'll let you know.

9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

This is another problem i noted recently : the overuse of the word 'noob'

'noob' should stick to its first meaning : someone who never played the game or has just started. It's a synonym, a good one that is (imo).

It shouldn't be a word used to insult people because it also attacks those who are truly noob, those who try to learn the game but get bitched at all the time.

I for myself am trying to learn DOTA in Warcraft III Frozen Throne and I have to say that I am having a hard time with the bashing. I am a very experienced gamer but I still get 'mad' when someone calls me a noob in a game at which I am a noob ... I bet it's even worse for newcomers to learn to deal with those stupid bashers

10. identikit

identikit Minimodder

noob =! newb.

Newb, new player who doesn't know better.
    Noob, experienced player who is annoying/disruptive on purpose.

(I suppose I'm a bit of a noob sometimes, but I don't go out of my way to hurt people's online experience if they don't deserve it.)

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

nahhh it's the same word.... it's just that the 1337 talk changed it with time

12. identikit

identikit Minimodder

13. Xlixen

Xlixen What's a Dremel?

14. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Ah but as any good english language type will tell you, language is how it is percieved. What you mean is almost immaterial to how it is percieved, a word means what one believes it to mean. Or something like that anyway.

oh and one more thing

Erm, you are aware that was, erm, kind of the point? You know... sort of... irony?

15. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

the only instances i smack talk is if someone is doing it to me and i can easily put them in their place or if someone is hacking (mainly CSS) and im killing them.

Tags: Add Tags