1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Once you taste water you don't go back??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M_D_K, 7 Nov 2003.

?

Once you've tasted water, air just don't cut it

1. Agree

150 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. Disagree

53 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Phase change baby. Yeah!!!!

35 vote(s)
    14.5%
  4. Other [please state]

4 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Who would agree with this statement

I was thinking about it more heavily today.

I bought my first water cooling stuff a while back now and am so pleased with the results im achieving with it, temp and speed wise. Now im building a new rig which i could happily cool with Air but im going down the same path for i can't go back.

Was wondering who else thought about this at all.

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

it would depend on how much money I had to spend, and what I was planning to achieve, I'm already considering heading off to look into TEC's after adding a few more parts of my system into the loop (mosfets and northbridge). If I had the money, I'd be using a dual evap in my system :)

3. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Have you seen anything suitable for mosfet and parts cooling ?

If those can be cooled as well as the hard drive, there wouldnt need to be any air circulation within the case except across the rad.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nope, been there - done that, it failed.

Problems: It leaked, i couldnt transport it, i stressed over it, it was a hassle, it was louder than air cooling.. it still IS and it was uber expensive it was hard to manage and place pipes and my case look crampt and hard to work in. Blocks and pipes filled with algae within 2 weeks.

Plus side: it looks the muts.

Id like to WC my P4 cube, but my broken zalman does the job at a fraction of the cost.

I wont be going back till i can a) afford it and b) never move my pc and c) designs for stuff gets a little better still.

I think mostly the cost puts me off. If i won/reviewed a kit say then yea, id defo use it and this time use a proper copper & distilled solution which i theorise is better than water wetter tbh. Id like to experiment, but cant afford it to go wrong :(

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Nov 2003
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer What's a Dremel?

i watercooled a for a while, it was fine. but with careful planning and a cool running (.13) chip, you don't really need water unless you're going for extreme overclocks. i have a 2100+ at 2.2 and dual 1800+'s @ 1.6 ish all running nice + quiet, i see no reason to use water.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

yes I've seen these which look pretty promising, I'll have to speak with pug about them though, I'm trying to work out how to safely attach them without having to ASTE them in :)

7. sinizterguy

Very very interesting ... :)

8. sailor

sailor What's a Dremel?

I once went back tried a variety of air coolers and to be honest some of them managed comparable results to a cheap and cheerful water set up but that was only in terms of processor temp, if you factor in the heat they blast out over adjacent components then it becomes a no brainer.

My return to air cooling was with an Aeroflow 7+ and it did a reasonable job but to get anything acceptable I had to run it flat out and add extra case fans to the point where the neighbours actually complained about it!

I must also take issue with the idea that water cooling costs a lot more, thats ridiculous. Extreme watercooling then maybe but if you just want to equal air cooling performance then you can do it on a shoestring.

I currently have a system running with a bucket of water a cheap rio 800 pump, and a maze 3 all plumbed up with garden hose, the whole thing cost less than the aero 7+ set up when you factor in the extra case fans and it is significantly quiter and, would you believe, cooler running too.

9. olv

olv he's so bright

Watercooling well is expensive, there's no getting round it. Sure you can do it cheaper but using sailor as an example, having a huge bucket by your computer really isn't practical. Also sailor, u dont mention any kind of radiator which means u are relying on the thermal capacity of your bucket, which over time is just going to get hot so not much use for long periods.

I had a watercooled system about a year ago but didn't plan well enough, kinda bodged it, not satisfying experience and sold it because i wanted the money. I'd definately do it again though, but it is so very expensive. I have 3 80mm fans running at 5v in my case and it's far too noisy for my liking. the hdd and psu dont make any noise. Quieter cooling is definately the biggest plus for me.

Bigz Will the aqua computer blocks fit TECs?

10. sailor

sailor What's a Dremel?

hot as in temps mentioned. That system has been running 24/7 for the last 3 months like that.

I agree it's not practical for everyone but the option is there was more my point.

ok so how dear is it to get your self to the scrap yard and get a core?

11. Guest-2808

Guest-2808 Guest

What cores are the best and reasonably easily available in the UK?

I saw a nice rig with a massive Chrysler core that used only passive cooling. We are talking A3 size though.

MoJo

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Good water cooling costs.

It can be done, elegantly, compact, efficient and reliable, but it requires mechanical talent and skill to build, and quite a bit of research and planning to do right. It takes money, time and effort. It's not something you can do slap-dash and definitely not something you put together in one afternoon. And there is no cutting corners. :nono:

However, once you got that baby purring away at low noise and low temps, and get some serious ownage from others, it's all worth it. :D It's a purist thing. You just want a working PC, don't go there. You want a work of engineering art, do it.

13. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Your telling me lol

My current setup running in my main machine is well over the £400 mark :D but its well worth it i think i've got the best of everything in there :p

I've also in the process of building my Game Server running dual CPUs and i've just bought 2 of the new Danger Den RBX blocks for it so that will hopefully kick some ass.
    already done in like £250 for that second rig and thats just CPU in my main rig i got CPU, NB, GPU & HDD lol

But at the end of the day i look at it and smile :D cause i know i've got a well nice rig.

My 2p added to my thread lol keep voting ppl this is bringing some interesting results :p

14. sinizterguy

After watercooling, the only way I would go back to air is with a shuttle series box.

And that only after the fan has been swapped out for a quieter one. With a passively cooled gfx card.

15. Kookalamans

Kookalamans What's a Dremel?

I think I have to agree with Nexxo. When you carefully plan and then implement your plan the results can be very pleasing (if it works that is). I suppose that it's like anything. It depends on your expectations! If you carefully think about what you want to achieve, and then set realistic targets you shouldn't be dissapointed. Personally, I watercool for silence. I set my goals in stages and I'm working through them. So far, I've managed to passively cool my radiator with just cooling the CPU. I'll try to move onto the GPU when I upgrade next.

16. dagamore

dagamore What's a Dremel?

6 or 8 months ago i would have agreed with the idea that once you go water you dont go back, as good or better coolling and half the noise, but now i have 2 zalman 7000 (one cu and one ALcu) and 4 of the flowers (6000) and went with the passive zalman video coolers and NB coolers one all but my 2 water cooled setups, and they are quiter with the same cooling, and they dont require the same amount of manitinace as my water cooling setups do, nor do i have to keep as good of an eye on them, with fans they shut donw, and i have yet to have a leak with my fans that killed a mother board :D

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

True; a well-designed aircooled unit can achieve great results at very little noise (it certainly makes life easier). Again, plan and do your research.

Results also depend on what you're aiming for (noise reduction or overclocking), and how much space you have. Paradoxically water cooling can be better for dual CPU setups as there's no way you can squeeze two Zalmans on a dual CPU mobo... And keep in mind however that the Zalman passive cooling sink on, say, a Radeon 9800 pretty much pushes the limit. You really need to add a fan to the array once you even think of overclocking the card.

Aircooled units can also look just as sexy as watercooled units: chrome plated heatsinks and ducting, anyone? Now there's a mod that has not been done yet!

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's what i live off. Panaflo LA1 fans are gifts from god. I challenge anyone to put their watercooled pc next to mine and test the difference in noise. Although i dont overclock, it sits at 39C all day :)

19. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

/slaps bind with a white glove

I challange you sir to a dual

My system is as quiete as it gets, Running a 2500 at 2.4Ghz at a cool 50c :p. overclocked TI4200 at 320/680, HDD watered, NB watered. Aluminum papst fan on rad 5volted, 7volted lighted LED fans in PSU, quietness don't get better then this my friend. Noisest thing in my case is them damn 7volts PSU fans must lower voltage or water it :p

20. dagamore

dagamore What's a Dremel?

I dont know about that
    i am cooling it great with the Zalman CNPS 6000 (aka flower) and the fans that came with it, i can not tell if it is on from 3 feet way (unless i look at the kvm light :p) and even while folding (with the SSE boost) the temps stay right near 42c or under. so it is realy easy to get great quite cooling (aslong as you go with Zalman) and still have a power house smp setup. here are some pics of it.

[​IMG]

as you can see i had to mod it just a little bit

[​IMG] [/B]

Dont know about the 9800 but it keeps my ti4800 (with a mild OC on it) under 45c core temp, thats better the the stock cooling was for it, and i dont have a fan on it, but i might add a 120 to the side of my case to blow down it the zalman and the NB cooler.

I think that air (can) look better then watter, but then again the orca mod is one to behold and it is a great example of what can be done with water.