1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks One-Way Homeplug Glitch?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 Oct 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Okay, I need someone to sanity-check this for me, 'cos I think I might actually be going crazy.

My layout: network in the office upstairs with two pooled DHCP servers, network in the living room downstairs with a router, both connected via a Homeplug mains networking pair. So far, so funky.

Wireless signal strength in the office wasn't great, so I've picked up a cheap Netgear plug-through Wi-FI access point and connected it to the Homeplug via a short CAT5 tail. Set it up, configured it as an access point rather than range extender, job's a good 'un.

Now here's where things get crazy.

If I connect to the new access point, I can see the whole network no problem - upstairs and downstairs - and can communicate from the upstairs network to the internet via the downstairs router. Everything is as it should be.

If I connect to the old router, I can see the downstairs network *but not the upstairs network*. Not a damn thing. I can't even get a DHCP lease from either of the upstairs servers.

No, that shouldn't be possible, you're absolutely right: either the Homeplugs are working or they're not. If they're working, both networks can see each other; if they're not, neither network can see each other.

I've reset and re-paired the Homeplugs: no joy. Reset the router: same. Running out of ideas here, and networking used to be my bread and butter!

EDIT:
    Here's something fun: I've unplugged the new access point, and the network's *still* shafted. What the actual?

EDIT EDIT:
    Right, rebooted the router after unplugging the new access point and the network's working again. So, let's try plugging the AP back in...

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
    Dead again - I can only see the downstairs network from the downstairs router, but I can see both networks including the downstairs router from the upstairs network. I... WHAT THE ACTUAL?

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT:
    Gave up and tried it in "just be a stupid wireless range extender" mode: it doesn't even work as that. My network's fine, but the 'extender' refuses to admit any traffic in either direction. Guess this thing's going back, then!

Last edited: 7 Oct 2017