1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other One week in Thailand?

Discussion in 'General' started by sotu1, 1 Feb 2014.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Hi guys,

I'm planning to go to Thailand for a week and just wondered if anyone has any suggested plans for the country? I know I could stay for a month, but for the moment I'll only have 9 days spare.

I'm actually really easy about what to do, but want to fit in the best that I can in 7 days. I'm thinking 3 days city break, 3 days on beaches, 3 days in forests or something like that. Any one have any experiences?

I'll be heading out in June/July time.

Cheers!

2. NIHILO

NIHILO The Customer isn't always right!

3 words.

Rub-And-Tug

Lol all joking aside go to the beach, I hear it can be nice. Maybe try a higher-end club or bar. Obviously try a high end resturant. Maybe a Spa?

I wouldnt risk going to a strip club, you might be disapointed with the "girls".

3. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Some of them lady boys look incredible....but yea can't be dealing with a penis. Urgh.

4. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

You're heading to Thailand at roughly the start of what's normally monsoon season (June to October), so water activities could potentially be a little restricted if there is any risk of heavy winds and coastal swells.

If you're a keen swimmer and want to go diving while out there, then I'd say have a trip out to Phi Phi Don island and book a diving session there as you'll often get some excellent sea-life around (turtles, angel fish, sea horses)... it'll be off-season for whale sharks, but you may spot one if you're lucky.

Phi Phi Don is also a great island for meals, you'll get a decent mix of Thai, French, Scandinavian and Italian food there. There's also a small restaurant called Little Britain which does simple stuff like burgers and chips, pies and full English breakfast if you crave some food from back home.

Phuket is nice place to go visit if you want to be around other tourists and have lots of more westerner interaction, you will find a lot of tourists there though so doesn't often provide the authentic Thai experience. If you want a more authentic experience then you'll get a lot more options if you head further north and away from the coastal areas.

I highly recommend visiting a couple of the National Parks scattered around the country, though maybe avoid the Sai Yok and Namtok Samlan parks as they're often a little tourist heavy.

Some useful advice...
    Watch out for street vendors who offer to take a photo of you with an exotic animal, it's generally not legal.

If you're going to eat traditional thai food, I'd highly recommend letting the waiters know how spicy you like your food as they will then let you know if something you're going to order will be too hot for you.

Also if you plan on taking photos of street stalls, ask the vendors first as some can be less than friendly and may demand money for the photos.

Feet... people are somewhat serious about foot etiquette in Thailand so definitely read up on the right and wrong things to do before you go. The last thing you want to do is offend the locals.

Thai people generally don't like to say "no" to someone, so be prepared for odd situations where you get offered something you didn't want or get wrong directions to somewhere.

5. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Dont tread on the money (even if some blows away, dont stick your foot on it to stop it). Thai dosh has pictures of the royal family on, stepping on the pictures is a sign of disrespect and can, if unlucky, get you arrested. Really.

Night markets. Go to them.

Shame you arent around for new years (April) as the water festivals are bonkers and properly awesome. A day or 2 of running around with water pistols shooting everyone and avoiding the bloody fire hoses!

Change the majority of your cash into Baht in Thailand, better exchange rate.

Sort your jabs out with your GP well in advance. I was an eejit and ended up having to pay. Was around £120 iirc

If you are sightseeing around temples be mindful that monks are not allowed to touch women, and will want to keep a bit of distance (a few meters not a few hundred meters). Be nice and move around them, not the other way around.

If in Bangkok get a river taxi ticket for the day - ace for both sightseeing and getting about Dont be afraid of getting on the red ticket water taxis. They stop absolutely everywhere and go further out than the touristy blue ones.

Also Bangkok - Soi Cowboy/Nana are everything you might expect but turned up to 11, as is KSR. We started our nights at Cheap Charlie's before a train / tuk tuk ride elsewhere. Cheap Charlie's is ace.

Also also Bangkok - If you go to see the reclining buddha (and you should) then also go to the massage place inside the temple. Best foot rub ever. There are lots of other massage places around and differentiating the places you go for a massage from the prostitution is very straightforward.

Also also also Bangkok the malls are a bit **** and to be honest eye wateringly expensive. But they can be a handy place to head to for a couple of hours to avoid the very hottest part of the day and window shop (say for a Rolex or Phantom...)

Street food dude, street food.

Tuk tuks - properly ace but dont get overcharged. Think we paid 100 Baht to be taken to 4 different tourist places over a couple of hours. Ask the hotel staff if you are unsure how much you should be paying. Also, tuk tuk drivers get paid commission by various stores if they take tourists to them (and you invariably get a bit of pressure to buy stuff inside) be very firm if the driver tries this.