1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Onkyo style HTPC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by _ferry_, 9 Apr 2012.

1. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Nice work on the front panel. :thumb: It's got me beat how the manufacturers get those glossy finishes on their brushed alu.

2. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

OK, since I'm nominated for the MOTM i fell like i should put a update here. But I've been working _a lot_ on the TV/audio/PC/CD/whatever furniture, which is currently looking like this:

[​IMG]
    I made the cabinets themselves a couple of weeks ago. And last weekend I did 2 layers of primer, a lot of sanding between each layer, and 1 layer of gloss RAL9010 white. Last week I sanded each panel and cabinet again to make them smooth and fully prepared for the final coat. And after that I want to polish the 4 doors and 3 drawers to a perfect shiny finish.
    And no, it's not finished then.... I bought some more wood (oak) to make the frame which holds these cabinets. Finger joints etc. Not the stuff I'm very familiar with, so it takes some time for proper education and preparation. But once finished it should be way much cooler than the standard (Ikea) stuff.

So no time for modding (well, isn't this a case construction either?) although i sanded and primed the sides of the HTPC:
    [​IMG]
    (crappy phone pic)
    I think I'll finish them with a layer of wheel spray since it has a very similar look compared with the Onkyo.

3. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

It has been a while, but I'm in need of some extra space in my garage, so it's time for final assembly before putting in some hardware :) I'm happy with the November MOTM nomination, especially by keeping in mind that this case is more for practical use, and less eyecatching compared to the others.

I had 1 mayor screw-up:
    [​IMG]
    When inserting the connector i had to screw it in another 1/2 turn, i thought it was OK. But it wasn't. So after 10 seconds... SNAP!! after some words i won't repeat here i started to fix it. With a knife i made a V-shaped groove, to fill the crack with acryl glue. After that was dried I made a acrylic patch which i glued on to of it to gain some extra strength. And placed the connector back with liquid sealant (locktite) instead of teflon tape. Lesson learned: Use no teflon tape.

[​IMG]
    There were 2 push-in connectors leaking water. Never had that problem before, and i used many of them in other builds. But i replaced them with new ones, and tested the system. Used the paint-stripper to heat up the aluminium cooler. and turned on the pump+fan. I felt slightly warm air coming out of the radiator, although it took a while to cool down the aluminium back to room temperature.

[​IMG]
    Silverstone, Cooler Master, Lian-li, Origen, Zalman; eat your heart out ;) :naughty:

Did a lot of things, like placing feets beneath the case, shorten the sidepanel a little, tightened all the screws, glued the front together etc.

The front was given a threatment with "trim restorer" it's some kind of silicone based stuff to make the trims and dash of your car shine like new. Did the same on the aluminium :) Although there are 2 spots both left and right from the LCD which are slightly more white. Maybe it will be gone after more threatments.

[​IMG]
    And together with the cd+amplifier. In fact i could move my current system into this case instead of the cosmos. But it's to big and heavy right now to have it on my desk. It's heavy loaded with 2 speakers, 50L aquarium, heavy amplifier, 24"monitor etc.

To do:
    - cutting a top-panel
    - get a power supply
    - finish the HDD power cables
    - blu-ray needs a aluminium front
    - getting the workspace tidy for the upcoming projects :)

Happy Christmas and maybe another update this year will follow. :D

4. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

Looks fantastic!

5. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

wow, thats stealthy !

6. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

Thanks!

PS: yesterday I started on building my own turntable, including a self-made tone-arm. Maybe I will finish the front in the same way, to get it al looking familiar.

7. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Dang that turned out great! :thumb:

I want to see that... :dremel:

8. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

Well, all i have ATM is this:
    [​IMG]
    It's a threaded part for the balance weight, 2 bearings from a HDD in the middle and the other end will fit a piece of carbon rod acting as a tone arm.

9. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

It has been a while, but the system is running. I may have skipped some parts in this log but made a passive water cooling circuit. The system is consuming 20watts in idle (with the 7" lcd switched off), so using 10 watt extra for a water pump is a waste of energy.

[​IMG]
    I modified the CPU block so that it acts like some sort of boiler. Cold water gets in from the left and is fed to the bottom. Hot water goes to the top and moves out on the right to the radiator.
    Temperature under orthos stress is around 55 celcius.

[​IMG]
    This is the radiator with a small reservoir attached. I have some problem with water leaking between the copper base and the acrylic top. Flattening the copper bottom (factory-quality was very bad and uneven, but I got these things for free) didn't solve the problem, so i think i need some liquid sealant to get this job done.

[​IMG]
    The system is running fine, Yatze on the 7" touchscreen, XBMC on the monitor/TV. Great HTPC :)

Waynio likes this.
  10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

love it, stealth stock look of modding awesome!

11. christianw

christianw What's a Dremel?

Love it! Awesome!

It's just...
    You reversed the "Y" in the Onkyo logo... And my OCD is acting up ;)

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Excellent, very nice project ferry. :)