1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Onlive rental pricing revealed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Jun 2010.

1. NuTech

NuTech New Member

Wow, I think Onlive are going out of their way to fail. Various websites are starting to pick apart their Terms of Service and found this worrying clause: If you unsubscribe for more than 12 months, you forfeit your entire account and all your game purchases are gone.

Stop talking out of your arse.

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

The word 'unlimited' does my head in, when ever you see it you know it's going to be the opposite of unlimited, this 3 years, broadband fair usage policies etc, it's just stupid why doesn't someone stop them :(

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I laughed. A lot.

4. shadows

shadows New Member

That's got to be the worse pricing I've seen for a while. Onlive is seriously going to find it difficult to work in the UK, especially with that pricing cost and the fact that you have no control over the settings for the game.

Not to mention you'd need superfast unlimited internet to actually make it work correctly. Can you imagine the bandwidth costs for this?

I hate companies that market something as unlimited when it clearly isn't.

5. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ New Member

I don't understand how they can even advertise it as unlimited...it either is, or it isn't. No fancy legal mumbo-jumbo should be able to let them do that. I now not only want OnLive to fail because I think it's a joke, I want it to fail because the people that own it deserve nothing but misery.

6. pimlicosound

pimlicosound New Member

This feels like the prices we had to pay to get online in 1995: the connection fee, the monthly subscription, the per-minute fee to AOL and the per-minute fee on your phone bill.

I think OnLive would have been better off adopting a Love Film / Netflix pricing model, where the subscription rate includes the game rentals - perhaps a low rate for a couple of games per month, and a high rate for unlimited (proper unlimited) access to the full library of games.

7. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I think I'd prefer to buy the games and have real unlimited access to them then buy into on-live and their (3 year) definition of unlimited.

8. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Unlimited but only for 3 years? That is not unlimited. That is a lease. And for those prices you could buy the games and have REAL unlimited access to it. Pathetic.

9. John_T

John_T Member

Forget for a moment the 'optimistic' pricing levels.
    Or that in the UK they will probably try to charge pounds at the same rate as dollars.
    Forget too the issues of broadband caps and lag.
    Also forget limited timespan of 'ownership'.
    Or that if your subscription lapses / their company goes bust you lose everything.
    Also forget that the games will be offered at lower resolutions and lower settings with capped frame rates.

Forget all that for a moment.

This article seems to be saying that this 'service' will be exclusive to BT Internet customers.

I am not, (and never will be) a customer of BT, therefore even if I thought all of the above was great I STILL couldn't go for this.

Who's great idea was it to deny access to over 80%+ of the market even before launch? Not so much shooting yourself in the foot as taking them both off at the knee...

10. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

It doesnt surprise me at all, The whole business fails at every single step. So it goes live at the end of 2011 and the unlimited passes finish in june 2013, So you actually only get ~18months for your 'unlimited' game, Thats the worst value deal ive ever seen.

Id still like to see UK pricing though just for a bit more of a laugh, Id imagine it'll be the same-3/4 of the $ price.

The other thing thats niggling me is why june 2013 for the unlimited games? It sounds to me a borderline scam.

The way i read that is you can get the service directly through BT if your with/sign up to them, Otherwise you'd have to get a separate subscription from onlive themselves, I could be wrong though.

11. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Corrected..
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=859&type=expert&pid=1

To be honest, this will appeal to school kids and laymen who want to play the same games as their chums without buying expensive hardware. Actually reading the EULA will likely be beyond the capability of the subscriber base.

That's the date when the system becomes self-aware and revolts against its creators, killing us all.

Also, OnLive Fail.

12. smc8788

smc8788 ...at least I have chicken

Correct: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/05/13/bt-is-exclusive-onlive-supplier-in-uk/1

To be fair, I think they've realised they have a dud and the only way they'd get some serious money from the UK market is to strike a deal with an ISP giving them exclusive usage rights. BT was obviously stupid enough to hand over the cash before their product has even been proven to work on a large scale, public environment.

13. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ New Member

Lol. That is all.

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

No, it doesn't.

It says quite explicitly that BT has the exclusive rights to BUNDLE IT WITH BROADBAND.

If you're not on BT broadband then you can still get Onlive, but BT will offer a Broadband package to customers that includes an Onlive subscription - and they are the only company in the UK which has the rights to do that.

That previous news post was incorrect and has now been corrected.

15. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

June 2013 is all the time they have for funding up until that point. After that, they fold and everyone is better off...

That's what I'm hoping anyway.

16. Psy-UK

Psy-UK New Member

With the bandwidth caps in this country, OnLive will not succeed, at least not here.

17. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Member

Wow, the more I learn, the more ridiculous it sounds. The pricing for what you get is absolutely insane.

18. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Well-Known Member

Wow, as if this service didn't have enough problems for it to work at all in the real world now they have set the price so that only the clinically insane would buy it.

19. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Yet, I have a feeling that the BBC will big it up in their news articles and present it as the biggest thing since sliced Jesus bread. Once that happens, it'll be jammed deeper in the public consciousness than Gabe Newell in cheesecake.

Many people don't question the news and generally take anything that's been televised as gospel. It'll be those people who won't question input lag, fuzzy graphics or supah high 'rental' fees because they don't know any better.

20. Denis_iii

Denis_iii New Member

****ing stupid pricing model, kudos onlive for bringing about your own demise and ruining my vision of future platform free gaming
    it should simply be a monthly payment for access to anything your want ala Netflix/Love Film

Tags: Add Tags