1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OnLive will have less lag than consoles

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Jun 2011.

1. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

I could see how this would work if you were comparing a p2p network game (which quite a lot of ps3 and 360 multiplayer games are) to one played ovwer onlive presumably with onlive their central server could act as a dedicated server. Don't see how it would work for single player though.

2. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

@cypressgroove

I do know the difference, but high bandwidth and low latency, trouble free internet usually go hand in hand. And to work to its potential,( based on reports from the US)that's really what it needs.

Many people have ISP traffic shaping going on their connections at peak times these days. Stated bandwidth goes to hell and even basic upstream/ downstream communication becomes difficult and hit and miss , downstream can be at around dial up for some , when this shaping is overly aggressive , and the much ,much lower anyway- upstream ...well. So as for the Youtube 1080p test, I'd guess there aren't that many users (discounting the superfast) who can consistently pass that test . So positional game data -yes , full screen game video and positional game data - no.

The same reports complain that the IQ looks bad. To provide anything less than full res, when you consider they're asking, full game price, seems like a rip off.

Corrected.. they use 720p and will use 1080p when the servers are updated, though you do wonder about what algorithm (compression) changes they have in mind.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2011
  3. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

To get the same image quality as a standard graphics card on 1080p, you'd be transferring over a hundred MB per second.

4. DeadMan

DeadMan Betterer

He is a very brave man!

5. DeadMan

DeadMan Betterer

'We're able to compensate for that because we have state of the art servers with very high performance GPUs. A 2005 class Xbox or PS3 game, when you put it on a 2011 class server, we don't have to have that pre-render queue. Instead, we use that time for the network delay. The algorithm keeps getting better and better.'

Wow these 2011 class servers sound cool, I would like to use one properly, locally... oh wait! what is this I am typing into.

6. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

And ^this kinda makes the point ....

... there is only so much compression can do before it becomes obvious, of the people on their forum who've signed up, many seem to have no idea. Quite a few console owners are commenting and complaining by saying that they signed up to play Crysis at 1080p, with it looking as good as it does on the latest and greatest PCs maxed out lol.

7. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Yep. Blu-Ray quality is about 20Mbps at 30fps, and onlive streams about 5Mbps at a far lower resolution.

Despite how inherently playable OnLive may be, it seems like a folly to introduce at 80-100ms input lag into the system (20ms MINIMUM to their server, 33ms for frame rendering, 20ms back) while expecting the service to compete with products that do not have such issues.

8. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Yep, agreed .

Off topic -It's kinda sad when you hear about a future free of physical media too. Because it's highly unlikely that any streaming or downloadable 1080p content will ever rival the 50Gb of quality content packed onto a blu ray disc. Both Onlive and even movie streaming, can only offer massive downgrades from personal HW and physical media respectively, though it's dressed up as 'the future' .

9. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Yes, I totally agree with that. Everyone's talking about playing from the cloud, yet Netflix's crappy quality already takes up like 30% of traffic in America.

10. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

i recieve 7 mb down and 768 kb up. i think i get quite flawless results certainly better than consoles . yes something it goes wrong but it fixes it self within a second or two

11. rayson

i still prefer good old steam though they should steam like package for blu-ray movies as well. if you have virgin media's 100mb down

12. rayson

13. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Shame virgin can only handle a small percentage of their users downloading at that speed.

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I can't believe they get away with making these claims and not get sued for false advertisement

15. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Onlive isnt out of business yet? shocking.

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hmm, two people who signed up specifically to comment on this. Am I just being paranoid or...

17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah typical ping from the us to the europe is around 120ms.. a lot of hops

might be better on local servers.. just sayin :lol:

bet they are the devs pete.. or crotchety investors.. you can't deny first hand accounts like wu's

this technology will probably break a lot of monitors from slapping

18. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I really do not understand how people can not see that this is due to the service our ISP is providing. We pay (in the UK) for say 8 mb broadband and what did I get? 2MB during off peak! Naturally this is too slow for Video over IP (that's why in some countries, like Germany V.I.P. in only provided over +ADSL 2 16MB lines).

It is mostly down to your ISP/distance from nearest exchange and they know this. This is an issue that can only be fix by your ISP as the only other way would be to use 10 year old graphics (i.e. like online flash games). We really need to PUSH ISP's to provide honest service! This is the root of the issue and it must be addressed.

Also If you are using WiFi connection between your router and TV/Console then you loss an extra 20-30% of your stated speed. WiFi is NOT FOR GAMING. It is a connection that is designed for pre-fetched data or low data requirements. Even with full signal and router next to you console/PC you can loss connection to the server in game due to the security cycles run in you router. (simply put when the pass codes are verified you have no connection, how badly this affects you is down to the quality of your router, CPU speed) So be smart and us LAN or at least Homeplug/Powerline networking.

I an sure there are people here that will clarify exactly what happens during the security cycle (I don't remember sorry)

19. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

first time i've heard of this security cycle, and first time i've heard of this loosing speed business on a router.

care to elaborate and link to your sources?

Pete J likes this.
  20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I've never noticed this kind of lag on a console or PC, so why do I care? I'm still intrigued by Onlive, but it seems like they are clutching at straws with this kind of statement.

It is vaguely amusing when you hear the equivalent of corporate my dad's ( 7m10cm) bigger than your dad (7m09cm).

Tags: Add Tags