1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Only 100,000 PS3's for Japan Launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Nov 2006.

1. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'll be the first to admit that Sony reps have come out and said a lot of crazy stuff, but when it comes down to it, a lot of media is only focusing to the Nth degree on the bad press and blowing it way out of proportion. There are tons of positive things to report about the PS3, but only a few websites choose to focus their articles on the positive. Excuse me for playing the Devil's advocate here, but if Bits good:bad ratio of artices about the PS3 were a little bit more balanced and fair, I wouldn't be here posting this right now.

And it is in part Sony Rep's fault for a lot of the bad press because they say things that come off as smug and conceited, but there's a lot more to the PS3 than some 'tard representative. I don't want to sound like I'm coming here telling the editors what stories to put on their website, but it's just come to a point where it seems like they have some kind of vendetta against all things Sony.

2. Strategy

Strategy Banned

According to the guy on ebay he paid $43,000 for 7 PS3's, which ='s roughly £23.500.00, surely he had a second mortgage to make a few quid?

3. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Jeez. I have to wait till 08 to get one here, Japan and China hate each other so China is dead last to play and they charge us that ****** up Austrailian price (higher than anywhere else). :wallbash:

I wanted to get 1 because it's ridiculously cheaper than building a gaming system (when considering Blu-gay)

4. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

who cares if they could only produce 100k compared with ps2 900k as you say. You know sony have had manufacturing problems with the blue ray and shortage of parts. So what, you have to wait a while before more are made available.

How long have you have to wait on a waiting list for the latest ferrari until they built it for you. Years.

Come one you have to admit, Bit is very biased between Sony and Nintendo and they make it obvious.

Well we will see how it all turns when the Wii is out and people are disapointed with it due to the hype. When the PS3 is available in UK im sure the comments will more in favour of the PS3.

End of the day all reps b******t, so I dont get why everyone believes any rep and take there word as concrete. I take no notice or them.

5. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

But thats the point, we didnt have to wait more for the ps2. The parts they needed to build the thing arrived on time and they met demand for the console, all in all a pretty successful launch. Now in comparison this hasnt happened. Like you say there have been shortages for the blu-ray diodes but so what? That being the case sony, shouldnt have made crazy figures saying they were gonna deliver a damn sight more units then they did and instead of acting smug and whatknot they should have been busy making more parts.

Now yeah bit have made it clear they like the wii, but out of the 3 next-gen consoles Nintendo are the only ones to take a new approach and they're trying to be innovative and if it wasn’t for people trying out new things what would be the state of gaming? Where in comparison it’s just more of the same from Sony, and they’ve still managed to balls it up!

Neogumbercules:

Yeah, your right in saying that the media are focusing on the bad parts of the ps3 but you know how it is "bad news sells". Now I do truly believe bit-tech is one of the few impartial sites out there that will tell it like it is. And your also right that there's good stuff about the ps3 but to be honest it seems to me like theres tons+tons of bad. That being the case you cant expect bit-tech to post nice things when theres alot more bad (esp when the bad is really bad e.g. extortionate price tag)

Last edited: 12 Nov 2006
  6. Zayfod

Zayfod What's a Dremel?

All I have to say on this console soap opera any more is, at least there weren't any of the mindless "Is This The End for PC Gaming?!?" articles this time. Everyone was too busy slagging off each other and jumping to conclusions to manage to write one I guess.

7. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Apparently the very first person to receive the PS3 and to be greeted and interviewed by Ken himself didn't speak one bit of Japanese, said he was going to play Tennis (no tennis game has been released on the PS3), and was then seen handing off his PS3 to a group which already had quite a few loaded into a van/truck/whatever. Most of the initial buyers were Chinese and had been paid off to stand in line and bring their PS3's to the scalpers which are listing them on eBay as we speak.

A good article about this was emailed to kotaku.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/foreigners-and-fights-ps3-jpn-launchs-dark-side-214130.php

This is a ridiculous launch and only brought about exploitation of the poor in Japan over a silly piece of hardware Sony has hyped up to be better than sliced bread.

8. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I remember worse. During the PS2 launch two people got into an argument and one of them ended up getting stabbed, and later dying.

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Thats Hong Kong DOllers

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

11. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

If you think Bit-Tech is anti-sony then leave.

The PS3 has been rushed to market, a firmware update has to be downloaded as soon as you power on to enable it's online functionality! And they think it will be better than Xbox Live?

Microsoft took an awful amount of criticism with the original Xbox, and it seems the tables have turned, but because it's Sony no-one can say anything negative towards them? Double standards.

12. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

if you cant go online till you update it, how do you go online in the first place to download the update lol

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

It only applies to online gaming and not (i think/i hope) online browsing.

14. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I was reading a few notes on another forum from a guy who said he's been using the PS3 since release in Japan. Apparently the online network is no where near as centralized as the Xbox Live service and at the moment very decentralized. It's makes sense why games like Tony Hawk Project 8 are online for 360 and not online on the PS3 (last I heard this was the case). Sony's online server is really set up to enable you to reach PS1 games, demos, and trailers. It's still up to the developer/publisher to create their online platforms in their games which really when you think about it, just PS2's online with a new GUI and some cool downloads.

15. DougEdey

That's because the PS3 online experience is 99% the same as gaming on a PC.

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Is it? Can I rent a 64 player server for X game?

MS hit the nail on the head when it came to online, Xbox Live on the Xbox was fantastic, the 360's live is even better.

People keep saying about how everyone has nothing but bad press about sony, but is there actually anything good to say about them?

17. DougEdey

That hosting technique is almost exactly the same for every PC game. Its just the the "server" in that case does not have a player, however every machine could be used as a server AND a game at the same time.

Tags: Add Tags